GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detroit Free Press
March 3, 2020

General Motors will start taking preorders for the GMC Hummer battery electric pickup on May 20.

The automaker also said it will start production on the Hummer in September 2021 at its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.

On May 20, GM will livestream a public reveal on www.gmc.com of the new Hummer, its engine specifications and its price, dealers told the Free Press and a GMC spokeswoman confirmed.

"We will announce all the details, how many vehicles will be built, what the vehicle will look like and the configuration," said Michelle Malcho, Buick and GMC spokeswoman.

The preorder program will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis. A customer will have to put a "certain cash amount" down and provide their name and contact information to preorder and reserve a Hummer, said Malcho.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A customer will have to put a "certain cash amount" down and provide their name and contact information to preorder and reserve a Hummer, said Malcho.
Looking forward to a complete sell-out on May 20th! Also good to know GM is going to take customer names and contact information. That could prove to be handy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
^I think you'll be disappointed. Lots and lots of "green" people dont want to be associated with Hummer. Bad marketing decision, but again, this is GM.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
^I think you'll be disappointed. Lots and lots of "green" people dont want to be associated with Hummer. Bad marketing decision, but again, this is GM.
Are U even serious? The absolute most sickening, most green, tree hugging, I mean sleeps in the same bed with their dog, picks up mushy and stained candy wrappers off the street and eats Mueslix person I know, when they saw the Hummer brand was now ELECTRIC ONLY.. said that it was a great idea and they hoped GM was serious about moving the brand in this direction.

Fact is.. if this vehicle holds more than 5 people.. can haul more stuff.. and is physically larger.. a great deal of people will love it more than a prius simply because of the ramifications going forward that larger vehicles benefit from this tech more so than any small one ever could

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Detroit Free Press
March 3, 2020

General Motors will start taking preorders for the GMC Hummer battery electric pickup on May 20.

The automaker also said it will start production on the Hummer in September 2021 at its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.

On May 20, GM will livestream a public reveal on www.gmc.com of the new Hummer, its engine specifications and its price, dealers told the Free Press and a GMC spokeswoman confirmed.

"We will announce all the details, how many vehicles will be built, what the vehicle will look like and the configuration," said Michelle Malcho, Buick and GMC spokeswoman.

The preorder program will be conducted on a first-come, first-serve basis. A customer will have to put a "certain cash amount" down and provide their name and contact information to preorder and reserve a Hummer, said Malcho.

They are going to reveal "it's engine specifications " wow...way to go lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Lulz. They hate Tesla but doing the exact same thing as they are.
You can find admirable qualities even in those you hate. Pre-order worked for Apple with the iPhone. Pre-order works in the video game industry. Pre-order works for Tesla. I don't see this as being a bad idea. And it serves as a barometer for the demand of Electric GM vehicles, which is feedback they need and will help them strategize a roll-out for future EV product.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
A lot of people pre-order Vettes too.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
More information learned today:

800-volt battery system
Charging at up to 350 kW
Battery sizes up to 200 kWh
Range approaches 400 miles per charge
35" Tires standard
Removable Roof Panels
Air Suspension
Gotta say, that's not a bad start.....

·
Registered
790 Posts
And, no one will be able to charge at home without big electrical upgrades (like putting in larger service panel and running high amp circuits), which will crash the grid IF people pay up to do it. Hmmm. Looks like not a lot of thought in this, even after all this time.

Going to poke my teenager, and get him going on an Electrician's license. They will be RAKING.

·
Registered
20,100 Posts
You can find admirable qualities even in those you hate. Pre-order worked for Apple with the iPhone. Pre-order works in the video game industry. Pre-order works for Tesla. I don't see this as being a bad idea. And it serves as a barometer for the demand of Electric GM vehicles, which is feedback they need and will help them strategize a roll-out for future EV product.
I agree, wondering what the deposit will be, will it be refundable, etc.

Then when they say it is 20,000 and 12 months later, they say "hey we can make 20K more" order-book back open!.............

And just to be sure we are all on the same page:

General Motors will start taking preorders for the GMC Hummer battery electric pickup on May 20, 2020

·
Registered
252 Posts
And, no one will be able to charge at home without big electrical upgrades (like putting in larger service panel and running high amp circuits), which will crash the grid IF people pay up to do it. Hmmm. Looks like not a lot of thought in this, even after all this time.

Going to poke my teenager, and get him going on an Electrician's license. They will be RAKING.
I am also concerned about these issues. Municipalities tend to be geographically originated. So ABC Power and Light covers half of some State. CBA covers the other half. I have concerns that when the day comes that the majority of vehicles are electric, electric rates will and perhaps somewhat deservably so, be overwhelmingly more. There wont be any competition inside those grids, which translates into out of control pricing. That issue aside, it will cost a lot to bring the USA up to the point to manage a wide scale increase in power requirements. Especially when we currently have parts of the US that tell portions of certain grids not to run your AC units all at the same time, due to the high risk of brown outs or black outs. Can a system this ****ty support multiple cars plugged in as well at the same household? I am no electrical engineer, but it seems like we are far from this ability and with the lack competition inside power grids scares me. It will be interesting see how all this works out. Maybe it will be a year 2000 type scare, but building the cars is a challenge, obviously the batteries being the big issue. However the back end of this (municipality) I think is going to be a much bigger issue on this movement.

·
Registered
18,117 Posts

How will this crash the grid? It's the same as a 220 for an electric dryer. It's usually around a $200-300 install for a plug.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts