GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could Lexus be ready to take on Mercedes-Benz and BMW at the top of the pricing ladder? Toyota Motor Sales USA's new CEO says it could be. Yuki Funo tells Automotive News that Toyota's Lexus division is studying a vehicle larger than the current LS 430 sedan in price tag -- something up to $100,000 is possible, he says. The vehicle could be a sedan -- but could also be a coupe. A V10 or a V12 engine is possible as well to go along with the new super Lexus. Cadillac, too, is expected to field a new large sedan powered by a V12 engine to run against the more expensive luxosedans from Germany.

Source: Edmunds.com e-mail alert

5,934 Posts
hmm, bring it on. The Cadillac XLR is pretty close to that right now.

I would imagine the XLR behaves wonderfully. GM can produce kick-a$$ performance automobiles.

<_< ;) <_< <_<

5,934 Posts
yea, well I would think that Lexus is thinking of this, because of the XLR. See GM is already forcing the competition to adjust.

<_< <_<

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
It would behoove the Germans to pay close attention to this news, particularly the piece that mentions Lexus's intentions to field a 7-series/S-class/A-8 competitor.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I hope it's not a rebadged Toyota Century!!!

:lol: Cracks me up...

·
Registered
114 Posts
IT DONT MATTER WHAT TOYOTA GIVES LEXUS GM WILL DEFINTELY FIND SOMETHING TO BETTER IT AND MORE STYLISH THAN A LEXUS.....LEXUS CARS AINT THAT ATTRACTIVE TO ME AT ALL I DONT SEE WHAT PEOPLE SEE IN THE LEXUS BRAND CEPT FOR THE LUXURY PART OF IT JUST REBADGED TOYOTAS...LX470 REBADGED LAND CRUISER..EX300- CAMRY.. LS430- AVALON..so dont matter what it is GM will build something bigger and better to top Lexus and the rest of the crowd...and that Toyota Century is pretty god damn funny lookin and they said the buick roadmaster was ugly lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@May 7 2004, 06:19 PM
See GM is already forcing the competition to adjust.

You definitly have a point there!!... I feel there all standing at attention, like young soldier's :D

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by carguy2225@May 7 2004, 11:29 PM
JUST REBADGED TOYOTAS...LX470 REBADGED LAND CRUISER..EX300- CAMRY.. LS430- AVALON..
You couldn't be more wrong...

People buy Lexus cars because they have more features, or better ones for that matter. They also have the "prestige" factor, more sound-deadening material, and better quality. The ES330 is not just a rebadged Camry, but BUILT ON the Camry platform. And since when is the LS430 a rebadged Avalon!?! I'm not trying to defent Toyota here, but before you attempt to bash something, get the facts right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by R.E Sanchez+May 7 2004, 11:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (R.E Sanchez @ May 7 2004, 11:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@May 7 2004, 06:19 PM
See GM is already forcing the competition to adjust.

You definitly have a point there!!... I feel there all standing at attention, like young soldier's :D [/b][/quote]
So true!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
IT DONT MATTER WHAT TOYOTA GIVES LEXUS GM WILL DEFINTELY FIND SOMETHING TO BETTER IT AND MORE STYLISH THAN A LEXUS.....LEXUS CARS AINT THAT ATTRACTIVE TO ME AT ALL I DONT SEE WHAT PEOPLE SEE IN THE LEXUS BRAND CEPT FOR THE LUXURY PART OF IT JUST REBADGED TOYOTAS...LX470 REBADGED LAND CRUISER..EX300- CAMRY.. LS430- AVALON
I have to laugh at you, carguy.
Lexus has the best-selling premium market out there. The first American is at #4 (Cadillac). Personally, Lexus has a great lineup. The rebadged Camry is the 2nd best selling entry-level vehicle. The LS430 is a sleek, aerodynamic vehicle.

When you said that GM will definitely find something better and more stylish, I have to laugh. Lexus is on a roll. Cadillac is on a roll, but they aren't making 'big news' like Lexus. The people here at GMInsideNews have the chance to like GM, but my job here (I think) is to tell the truth.....

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
Lexus is on a roll but they are the 1st to admit that their design are too Vanilla and that they are known for boring designs. Why do you think most people would paymore to have an S430 Mercedes a car with less power and arguably quite a bit less reliable with less features than the LS430. Not to mention how many more Devilles Caddy sells than the GS430 and LS430 combined. And we all know Caddy isn't giving Devilles away. And not to mention the SC430 a car that has been blasted for its ugly bloated design and never won a comparison test. And the XLR beats it every comparison test besides costing 15 grand more. Cadillac is #4 and that is with dropping STS sales in anticipation for the new model. Fact is that Cadillac almost beat MB last year in sales and Lexus barely sold any IS300's even though they sell alot of ES300's why you might ask because if you want a BMW buy one not a poorly styled underpowered japaneses version of one. And the ES300 is what the typical Lexus buyer wants vanilla wrapper-ugly styling a smooth smooth ride at the expense of handling and lots of features in a Toyota Chassis and a beautiful luxury car interior. And Lexus isn't really an aspirational car one of my good friends has an SC300 and an IS300 and his dream car is a Caddy XLR. Even given their quality problems people dream about driving S classes and SL's and maybe one day being able to afford a Range Rover or an Escalade. What aspirational cars does Lexus have?

·
Registered
43,887 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@May 7 2004, 12:17 PM
Could Lexus be ready to take on Mercedes-Benz and BMW at the top of the pricing ladder? Toyota Motor Sales USA's new CEO says it could be. Yuki Funo tells Automotive News that Toyota's Lexus division is studying a vehicle larger than the current LS 430 sedan in price tag -- something up to $100,000 is possible, he says. The vehicle could be a sedan -- but could also be a coupe. A V10 or a V12 engine is possible as well to go along with the new super Lexus. Cadillac, too, is expected to field a new large sedan powered by a V12 engine to run against the more expensive luxosedans from Germany.

Source: Edmunds.com e-mail alert
Well....

I know the new LS430 will come in short AND long wheelbase. Actually, it might be the LS500 or something along those lines.

The IS is going to launch the IS430 -- with the current LS engine.

And the SC is supposed to become a 2+2 roadster. So we'll see....

·
Registered
43,887 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+May 8 2004, 12:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ May 8 2004, 12:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-carguy2225@May 7 2004, 11:29 PM
JUST REBADGED TOYOTAS...LX470 REBADGED LAND CRUISER..EX300- CAMRY.. LS430- AVALON..
You couldn't be more wrong...

People buy Lexus cars because they have more features, or better ones for that matter. They also have the "prestige" factor, more sound-deadening material, and better quality. The ES330 is not just a rebadged Camry, but BUILT ON the Camry platform. And since when is the LS430 a rebadged Avalon!?! I'm not trying to defent Toyota here, but before you attempt to bash something, get the facts right. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
The ES has traditionally been a rebadged Camry, though in recent years, Toyota has gotten a lot better at distinguishing the two. The LX and GX are closer to rebadges than the ES.

I don't think the LS is a rebadged anything. It stands on its own platform....

Lexus does have the prestige factor going for it, but it also has one of the most complete luxury car lineups in the industry. It can fill every niche quite nicely.... especially in the high profit SUV market.
Face it, Cadillac has a long way to catch Lexus, but it's on its way. The fact that Lexus is changing its strategy and changing its entire lineup to compete with Cadillac and the Germans says a lot for the effect old Caddy is having. By the end of the year, Caddy could reclaim the #3 spot from Mercedes.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by germeezy1@May 8 2004, 06:07 PM
And Lexus isn't really an aspirational car one of my good friends has an SC300 and an IS300 and his dream car is a Caddy XLR...What aspirational cars does Lexus have?
I think Lexus is an a brand that many aspire to own. There's many different kinds of aspiration. People may aspire to own a Lexus because it's the most reliable and it's really high on the prestige list or people may aspire to own a Mercedes-Benz because of the fact that it's a Mercedes-Benz or people may aspire to drive a Cadillac because it looks cool. There are people out there who aspire to own a Lexus, but just for a different reason than Cadillac. I'm 17 and there are some people in my school who'd love to own an RX or any other Lexus vehicle one day. Truth is that if a car is great at one or more particular things, there will be people in this world who will aspire to own one. Just my $0.02...... :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
The LS 430 was a sleeper at first but it had a restyle for the better and it is one of the most comfortable vehicles or maybe even the most comfortable vehicle I have ever been in. It’s also one of the greatest values on the market today. I can’t even imagine what Lexus could offer for a hundred grand. The Germans have way more to worry about than GM. They are going to be slaughtered on their own turf and it would only take the bite of a few thousand units to do it because this isn’t really a big market despite the large profits. I think they knew this day would be coming. Lexus forced them to make better cars in the 90s when it showed up and it will again in the upper realm of luxury. Everyone is going to benefit from it in the end, or I should say, the lucky dogs who can afford cars this expensive.

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
And besides I just read the 7 car comparo that Road and Track just had for luxury 6 cylinders and the CTS got #1 over cars like the 530i and the E320 even though the CTS is a class below. It is designed to be between a 3 and a 5 series between a C and an E class. Lexus was conspicous by their absence bottom line the only car that would have competed would be the GS300 and the BMw 530i which finished second to last does everything better and its a brand new design! And if any man dreams about having an RX300 or SC430 he either is filled with estrogen or should be one of the guys on ***** eye for the straight guy! Like I said no one can tell me that showing up to your high school reunion in a LS430 will get you the kind of awe and respect that a S500 or SL500 would get you. I have an 02 Cadillac DTS I have poeple in 7 series and S500's say nice car all the time. Yet and still I see an S500 and think I would love to have one eventually. People in their LS430's I see them staring at my car and I think boy am I glad I didn't buy an LS430!

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+May 9 2004, 05:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ May 9 2004, 05:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-germeezy1@May 8 2004, 06:07 PM
And Lexus isn't really an aspirational car one of my good friends has an SC300 and an IS300 and his dream car is a Caddy XLR...What aspirational cars does Lexus have?
I think Lexus is an a brand that many aspire to own. There's many different kinds of aspiration. People may aspire to own a Lexus because it's the most reliable and it's really high on the prestige list or people may aspire to own a Mercedes-Benz because of the fact that it's a Mercedes-Benz or people may aspire to drive a Cadillac because it looks cool. There are people out there who aspire to own a Lexus, but just for a different reason than Cadillac. I'm 17 and there are some people in my school who'd love to own an RX or any other Lexus vehicle one day. Truth is that if a car is great at one or more particular things, there will be people in this world who will aspire to own one. Just my $0.02...... :D [/b][/quote]
Agreed, RCtennis3811. Lexus rightfully has many admirers, and that includes those who carry two x chromosomes and those with a complement of both an x and y. Though I'm not part of the crowd who aspires to own a Lexus, you have to appreciate the many things that Lexus does so consistently well. And it does so in a way that forces others to follow suit.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"Like I said no one can tell me that showing up to your high school reunion in a LS430 will get you the kind of awe and respect that a S500 or SL500 would get you."

That’s probably why Lexus is about to make a 100k dollar car. Its hard to get a S500 off the lot for less than a 100k with options and it can go into 120k dollar territory. For that sort of money, someone better appreciate the thing. Mercedes makes you pay for everything. The Lexus comes with great standard features and at most can get up to 80k loaded. That’s a 40k - 35k dollar difference. The LS 430 will also easily leave a S430 in the dust and according to factory specs from both manufacturers- leave the S500 behind also, though not by much. What Lexus would offer though is a v10 or a v12 for the same money so the S430 and S500 would be getting their behinds handed to them on a platter. I personally am not a fan of the SC so I’m not going to defend it considering I am a fan of the SL. You again still have a price difference though. I’d be happy if Lexus makes a 100k dollar car because that thing would be getting the awe and respect that any 100k dollar car should give you but with all the Lexus attributes. For the time being though, you might be right, I however don’t think the S Class is a looker, if you want real looks I would suggest the new Audi A8 and have the kids look at you like you just showed up on a spaceship from another planet. If I were to go for an S Class, I would buy a used S600 for the same price as the lesser versions. The S600 is what the Lexus should aim for if it does decide to do this.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't see how the XLR is making Lexus "retaliate." Lexus isn't looking hard at Cadillac as competition...they're aiming at Mercedes-Benz and BMW, not Cadillac.

The Lexus LS430 isn't any more related to the Toyota Avalon than the Cadillac Escalade is related to the Chevrolet CAVALIER. The LS430 is RWD and powered by a V8, the Avalon is FWD and powered by an unrelated V6.

But the Lexus LS430 is currently sold in Japan as the Toyota Celsior. The next generation LS430 will be sold globally (including Japan) as a Lexus only.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts