1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit Free Press
November 23, 2021

Sleeve Gesture Wrist Thumb Nail

But the focus on team comes from the World War II veteran who died in France in battle, Faust said. "I have learned to have a service ethic and think about the team first. That’s what he did when he died. I traveled to Normandy to see where he died. I went to his gravesite."

Ford engineer John Carl Faust was named for his great uncle, Carl Alexander, who died in Normandy in July 1944. The military has been a strong influence on Faust, who worked on the 2021 Ford Bronco Sport.

Font Circle Writing Number Monochrome

There, Carl Alexander is buried on the bluff above Omaha Beach along with more than 9,000 other soldiers.

"It's a very powerful theme for me," Faust said. "Nothing gets done without the team. My great uncle was a second lieutenant leading a group of men, early in U.S. Army’s experience in Normandy. It was difficult terrain … fields with tall hedgerows like a berm of dirt with trees growing out of it. Difficult to maneuver men and armor through that difficult terrain. And the Germans had years to set up defenses."

Carl Alexander was awarded a Silver Star posthumously, said Faust, who did extensive research on the circumstances of the recognition.

"What moves me the most is that in those moments after he was wounded, and he knew he was going to die, he was thinking about his men. He was trying to help them rather than thinking about himself," Faust said. "I think focusing on others is one of the best attributes a person can have rather than being self-centered and focused on oneself.

Good soldiers care about other people. Good engineers care about other people.

And that, Faust said, is why he insists on naming his team — always.

At General Dynamics, he credited Bill Goin, Bob Appledorn, James Ealy, Chad Paul and Dan Reed "for one of the best experiences" of his life.

"All these guys were so good at what they were doing," Faust said. "I didn't want to let them down."

This latest behind-the-scenes effort on the Bronco Sport is no small feat.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the entire (fascinating) article HERE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts