GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 97 S10 4.3L Vortec. I am having problems when I go 70+mph or when going up a long steep hill. The check engine light flashes and the engine starts sputtering. After I slow down the sputter stops and the check engine light goes away. I have checked with a code reader and found nothing. I did have a mechanic check it out once and he said I was having random miss fires.

Recent work I have done to the engine:

CSFI to MPFI conversion <--problem was happening way before I did this
Autolite platinum plugs
Plug wires
Cap and rotor
Catalytic converter
Ignition control module
Coil
Intake gasket

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The EGR is clean. I tried running it with the EGR disconnected and it made no difference.
The fuel filter has been replaced recently. The fuel pump is 8 months old. Fuel pressure seemed high when I bled it off to put the MPFI in on Saturday. I will check the pressure with a gauge. The vehicle has a 5 speed manual transmission.
Could this problem be a sensor? Like the crank sensor?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
The EGR is clean. I tried running it with the EGR disconnected and it made no difference.
The fuel filter has been replaced recently. The fuel pump is 8 months old. Fuel pressure seemed high when I bled it off to put the MPFI in on Saturday. I will check the pressure with a gauge. The vehicle has a 5 speed manual transmission.
Could this problem be a sensor? Like the crank sensor?
Might be a good investment to make?????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I am going to get AC Delco plugs. I am sure I have Electromagnetic interference, so wires next after plugs if that doesn't fix it.
I always have a hum coming from my stereo and I know I wired the stereo up right. I believe that hum has something to do with my ignition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.