1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ram and Dodge Ranked First and Second in J.D. Power Initial Quality Study
BY ANNIE WHITE
AUG 31, 2021

Ram was ranked #1 and Dodge #2 in the J.D. Power 2021 Initial Quality Study.
  • The study surveys new-car owners on problems they had with their vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership, and it ranks brands according to problems per 100 vehicles. Lower scores are better.
  • The study was redesigned last year to give new-car owners more ways to report problems. In the 2020 study, infotainment was the most troublesome category.
The results of the 2021 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study are in, with Ram and Dodge securing the top two spots. The 223-question study surveys new-car owners on problems they experience with their new cars in the first 90 days of ownership and assigns each brand a score based on the problems per 100 vehicles. Problems could range from serious mechanical issues to difficulties related to the infotainment system. In this year's survey, Ram owners reported 128 issues per 100 new cars, while Dodge owners had 139 complaints per 100 vehicles.

More at link

2021066 U.S. IQS.pdf (jdpower.com)
Above is a link to the actual JD Power site

Attachments

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GM did pretty well - amazing the Vette is in there being it's all new.

Who would've ever thought Ram, Dodge and Mitsu would be on top 5 and Toyota barely above average. And Porsche way down in the middle, aren't they normally in the top?

I say it every year, I wish they'd separate true quality problems, like the car won't start, from being unable to figure out how to pair your phone. Pairing my iPhone was amazingly easy on my CT4 as a comment from personal experience.

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Initial quality is nice,but to me 5-10 years down the road is where it really matters.

I'm not one to switch out cars every 30 thousand miles.
Very true, 5 year quality is the real test. But, it is telling to the quality of modern vehicles. Back in the 90's I think all three of my new cars were back at the dealer within the first few months with problems.....

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Ram, Dodge, Mitsubishi, and Nissan at or near the top of a quality survey?? If it weren't for the familiar "faces" of Chrysler, VW, and Land Rover holding down the fort at their usual places near the bottom of the pack, I'd have thought this was a joke.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ram and Dodge Ranked First and Second in J.D. Power Initial Quality Study
BY ANNIE WHITE
AUG 31, 2021

View attachment 64341

Ram was ranked #1 and Dodge #2 in the J.D. Power 2021 Initial Quality Study.
  • The study surveys new-car owners on problems they had with their vehicles during the first 90 days of ownership, and it ranks brands according to problems per 100 vehicles. Lower scores are better.
  • The study was redesigned last year to give new-car owners more ways to report problems. In the 2020 study, infotainment was the most troublesome category.
The results of the 2021 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study are in, with Ram and Dodge securing the top two spots. The 223-question study surveys new-car owners on problems they experience with their new cars in the first 90 days of ownership and assigns each brand a score based on the problems per 100 vehicles. Problems could range from serious mechanical issues to difficulties related to the infotainment system. In this year's survey, Ram owners reported 128 issues per 100 new cars, while Dodge owners had 139 complaints per 100 vehicles.

More at link

2021066 U.S. IQS.pdf (jdpower.com)
Above is a link to the actual JD Power site
Good on Dodge and Ram, but they have essentially been building the same exact vehicles for like 10 or 15 years now. They should have gotten good at it.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Very true, 5 year quality is the real test. But, it is telling to the quality of modern vehicles. Back in the 90's I think all three of my new cars were back at the dealer within the first few months with problems.....
I wish someone would get a message out to Isuzu about initial quality every new truck my company has bought over the last 5 years has had multiple problems making my boss feel like he was back in the 90's with all 3 of your new cars.

One truck has been in the shop more than we've seen it and it has less than 300 miles on it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:.

At least Isuzu is keep Old GM's spirit alive ;).

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
I wish someone would get a message out to Isuzu about initial quality every new truck my company has bought over the last 5 years has had multiple problems making my boss feel like he was back in the 90's with all 3 of your new cars.

One truck has been in the shop more than we've seen it and it has less than 300 miles on it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:.

At least Isuzu is keep Old GM's spirit alive ;).
Or get a message to management at your company, "Hey! Quit buying this crap! Or you're fired!"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Initial quality is nice,but to me 5-10 years down the road is where it really matters.

I'm not one to switch out cars every 30 thousand miles.
You can't identify manufacturing problems from lack of maintenance or user abuse problems 5-10 years down the line. And you want data on cars very similar to new cars to make purchasing decisions on a new car.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Asinine, Ram and Dodge are some of the worst products made. And Jeep is in the Top 10!?! Inconceivable!
mini above average also
I thought the chart was upside down with the worst at the top but NOPE
I wish they would break out "mission critical" failures VS "convenience" failures no headlights is WORSE then no heated seats ETC

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Quite a turnaround for the Chrysler non-Chrysler brands, often the bottom dwellers. Dodge is largely older models. But with Ram's volume, that's really quite impressive. And Jeep too! Good for them.

As has become usual, Chevrolet outpaces Honda. And Toyota this time too.

·
Registered
18,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ram, Dodge, Mitsubishi, and Nissan at or near the top of a quality survey?? If it weren't for the familiar "faces" of Chrysler, VW, and Land Rover holding down the fort at their usual places near the bottom of the pack, I'd have thought this was a joke.
Just means it is easy to pair a phone.

The frustration level can be high with difficult to use electronics. Having just bought a new Cadillac and Volvo, I can see why Volvo is at the bottom almost 50 points off the average and Cadillac is close to average just based on the ease of use. My Caddy has been very easy to use and acclimate to. My wife has had at least three melt-downs associated with the electronics and they've had me pissed off several times. Things that are easy to do on my car, such as resetting the trip miles and average mpg's, are difficultly buried in menus in the Volvo, taking several steps to perform. Volvo earned their place at the bottom and disbelief from me on how bad/difficult some things are to use.

Unrelated - interesting to note that the best is only 34 points off the average or 21%, but the worst is 89 points off average or 55%.

I wonder if part of this is the average age of the buyer. Older folks might be more likely to struggle with electronics where younger don't.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts