GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see this BS yet? What a terrible commercial. I can't believe this was even thought of, let alone approved for national advertising. It also inaccurately portrays various civilizations throughout history.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Debunked how? You can literally see in the video the distortions. Switch the races around and see if people are still content with it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Well, being a black guy, I don't find it racist at all. I actually find it quite entertaining and jam to it every time that it comes on. It hasn't come on in a while though.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yep, you're still an odd duck.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Anyone see this BS yet? What a terrible commercial. I can't believe this was even thought of, let alone approved for national advertising. It also inaccurately portrays various civilizations throughout history.

Being from Africa, this is what I have to say.

Man, you are too sensitive. Look inside you and remove the racial prism/Goggles with which you see the world

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
I thinks it funny too, and that is before you know the white "servant" is filthy rich, and the black couple pulling up in the Escalade are dead-broke.

;)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What's wrong with it? Makes perfect sense to me. The driver and passenger were off getting the vehicle serviced, and the Massa was patiently waiting for them to return...

:D

Lighten up people! If this is the only thing wrong with GM marketing, they'd be doing much better than they are.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Are there any REALLY old commercials out there we can complain about?!
This was IMO a piss-poor wannabe takeoff on the KIA Optima Super Bowl ad of some years back.

There is a certain segment of the population who will cry "Wolf!" at practically anything. I would not want to be identified with the not-so-Sharpton/Rev. Wright race profiteers, but those are individual decisions and judgements.

Nothing personal to the guys who like it, but to me it's just weak and almost pointless. Standard GM half-fast effort. :fall:

Reactions: SeetheUSA

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Debunked how? You can literally see in the video the distortions. Switch the races around and see if people are still content with it.
A black couple pull up to a hotel, the white/ hispanic valet/ door man helps them with their bags, and that is racist? Look I'm a white South African, I know racism, I lived through Apartheid enjoying the benefits of racism. This aint racism! This is normal life!

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
If that is racist, then Cadillac's only alternative is to not use people in their ads anymore. Stick figures on a white background. Or is that racist because the background is white? Is GMI racist because the background is white?

And as for accurately portraying ancient civilizations? I don't think anyone turns to commercials for historical accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
A black couple pull up to a hotel, the white/ hispanic valet/ door man helps them with their bags, and that is racist? Look I'm a white South African, I know racism, I lived through Apartheid enjoying the benefits of racism. This aint racism! This is normal life!

That would make you an African-American. ;)

Reactions: mchicha

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That would make you an African-American. ;)
No, it makes me European-African. I think. Remember, I'm in the US temporarily getting a project off the ground, so I return home shortly as my job is almost done, so I'm not American and never will be (althought I think I am in spirit. If that counted, then yes, I'd be a white African American!).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.