GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac CTS-V: Something wicked this way comes
By Andrew Bornhop

Lucky man, that Doug Kott. Our Executive Editor, in case you haven't seen our September issue, had the enviable pleasure of traveling to Germany and putting Cadillac's new CTS-V — yep, the one with the Corvette Z06's V-8 engine — through its paces on the twists and turns of the Nürburgring's famous 12-mile Nordschleife ("North Loop") circuit. Anybody care to guess who assigns the press trips at R&T?

Not me, or I'd have been there. Truth be told, however, in a situation like that, the driver arguably spends as much time figuring out the track as he does the car. So it was with open arms that we received one of the first production Cadillac CTS-Vs at our home office in California, looking menacing in its Raven Black paint and — more important — ready to be subjected to our usual battery of tests on familiar turf.

So, what did we learn? Well, let's just say the much-ballyhooed development program at the Ring is clearly more than lip service. GM's Performance Division has indeed transformed this Cadillac into an American M5 fighter, a superb rear-drive sports sedan that blows us away with its power, brakes, suspension tuning and balance.

FULL ARTICLE

·
Registered
39 Posts
seriously, cadillac is getting very serious of late. I love the CTS, and although the SRX styling is funky, it gets amazing reviews and its very nice inside. The new STS should be great, and when they make the new DTS in a few years, i expect that to be grand. The only mum thing on Caddies is the interior of the Escalade, it's not very pleasant. This CTS-V is amazing, and once we get the other V-series cars, Cadillac will by then have a much larger marketshare in the luxury cars. It's great to see where cadillac is going, and they really are starting to appeal to younger people now as well.
On a side note, i saw a catera today, and that might have been the lowest point in cadillac's history. the only redeeming quality of the catera is that it was a precursor (somewhat) of the CTS. (i assume the C came from catera, as the S comes from seville, adn the D comes from Deville)

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
From manufacturing to engineering, to me the CTS is more than just a car. I truly believe it shows what the folks at GM are capable of when they put their minds to something. GM would be so much stronger if all its vehicles were approached with this degree of thoroughness.

Sometimes, though, the men and women of GM are tough students to teach.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by bradlemp@Mar 5 2004, 08:04 PM
On a side note, i saw a catera today, and that might have been the lowest point in cadillac's history. the only redeeming quality of the catera is that it was a precursor (somewhat) of the CTS.
Yeah, and don't forget about the Cimarron of the early eithies. Have you ever seen one of those? That car makes the Catera look pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
As great a leap forward the CTS V is, we need to remember that the next
BMW M5 will sport a V10 with over 500hp.! :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by Jay+Mar 6 2004, 03:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 6 2004, 03:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bradlemp@Mar 5 2004, 08:04 PM
On a side note, i saw a catera today, and that might have been the lowest point in cadillac's history.  the only redeeming quality of the catera is that it was a precursor (somewhat) of the CTS.
Yeah, and don't forget about the Cimarron of the early eithies. Have you ever seen one of those? That car makes the Catera look pretty darn good. [/b][/quote]
The Catera (Opel Omega MV6) was a very good car. Not quite a 5-series Bimmer, but very good nonetheless. Very roomy, solid, great seats, great chassis, its weakest point was the engine (and the lack of a manual transmission in the US.)

Certainly compared to the rest of the FWD irrelevancies in the Cadillac showrooms it was a tremendous product.

The Cimarron, on the other hand...an okay car, so-so powertrain, grossly overpriced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Next M5= 5.0 v10 pushing 500 hp 370 pounds of torque with a seven speed smg tranny BMW is saying 0-60 in under 5

cadillacs answer the cts v spec no no how about the r spec with 6.0 or is it the 6.4 next gen zo6 motor with 500 hundred horsepower.

now that is car

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by JEM+Mar 6 2004, 11:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JEM @ Mar 6 2004, 11:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2004, 03:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bradlemp
@Mar 5 2004, 08:04 PM
On a side note, i saw a catera today, and that might have been the lowest point in cadillac's history.  the only redeeming quality of the catera is that it was a precursor (somewhat) of the CTS.

Yeah, and don't forget about the Cimarron of the early eithies. Have you ever seen one of those? That car makes the Catera look pretty darn good.
The Catera (Opel Omega MV6) was a very good car. Not quite a 5-series Bimmer, but very good nonetheless. Very roomy, solid, great seats, great chassis, its weakest point was the engine (and the lack of a manual transmission in the US.)

Certainly compared to the rest of the FWD irrelevancies in the Cadillac showrooms it was a tremendous product.

The Cimarron, on the other hand...an okay car, so-so powertrain, grossly overpriced. [/b][/quote]
The Catera probably would have sold a lot and have scaved off much of its criticism if it had been badged and marketed as a Pontiac, Buick,or Oldsmobile. It wasn't a bad car at all, but it also wasn't a Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by noremedy@Mar 6 2004, 05:13 PM
Next M5= 5.0 v10 pushing 500 hp 370 pounds of torque with a seven speed smg tranny BMW is saying 0-60 in under 5

cadillacs answer the cts v spec no no how about the r spec with 6.0 or is it the 6.4 next gen zo6 motor with 500 hundred horsepower.

now that is car
7spd!

M5- 500hp...370ftlbs...
STS-V 500hp...500ftlbs... :D

STS-V>M5

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
what I like the most guys is GM's policy,GM claims that they will not copy German manufacturers by producing for ex. C-class,A4,3-series size cars;CTS is a great example :woot2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know what, they should copy ze Germans. They've already copied Toyota when it comes to how plants operate and there is nothing wrong with that. Copy success and then add on your own ideas to make it better. CTS-V is an excellent product because it was going for the current AMG and M range. GM did an amazing job with the V. Anybody wants to loan me 90,000 grand so I can get the 2006 M5? lol

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've read in about 4 different reviews of the CTS-V that hard acceleration from a standstill can be hard because of excessive wheel hop. Does anyone know why the CTS is prone to this and other cars with as much HP and torque do not have this trait? What's different about the CTS-V's rear suspension that causes this?

Mark

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
if i could only have 1 car this would be it,room for 4 and goes like my C-5 corvette. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive the CTS-V a few months ago. I have never been so impressed with a car before. The sound of this car alone was worth the money.
It handling is incredible yet the ride quality over rough roads was very nice. Still had the Cadillac feel to it but with the heart of a Vette.

If I had the money I would almost (but not by enough) select this over a corvette.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
when i get too old(i am 70 and my C-6 is comming)) to get in and out of a corvette i will will get a CTS-V.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I just got to drive one yesterday!!!! It was the most fun Ive ever had in a car. 110mph in 3rd, 130 in 4th, and there was plenty left!!!

Hit .88 G on the Gmeter going on a freeway on-ramp.

This is the most fantastic car I have driven. Ive driven Vettes, Porsches and some M's, but this thing hauls!!!

The steering feel is great, and its the best clutch Ive ever used. Speaking of Porches, I dusted 911 off the line from a stop light, he didnt look happy at the next light.

thinking about it is just making me too excited!!! i cant type anymore!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts