GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce Meyers, the pionner of the dune buggy passed away at the age of 94.
[Editor's Note: Bruce Meyers passed away in 2021 at the age of 94. In memory of his legacy, we're revisiting our 2009 interview from Hemmings Sports & Exotic.]

Where did Bruce Meyers get the idea to create the dune buggy? That's the question we start out with, and by the time a half-hour has gone by, we've ricocheted from one subject to another, touching on surfing, the beach-bum life, boatbuilding, sand rails, Volkswagens, design school, portrait drawing, catamarans, Jeeps, the Sunday comics and Fourth of July parades. Finally, Bruce pauses, looks across the table and says with an easy smile, "It all came out of my nuttyball way of looking at life, I guess. I can't really give you a good answer--I don't know why I did all that."
Bruce Meyers—fine artist, surfer, designer, hot-rodder, Navy hero, off-road racer, and inventor of the dune buggy—has died. He was 94.
Meyers is best known to automotive enthusiasts as the designer of the Meyers Manx dune buggy. The compact, swoopy, instantly recognizable body, built from fiberglass and designed to drop onto a shortened Volkswagen Beetle floor pan, became the signature shape of the signature vehicle of Southern California, beloved by surfers, adventurers, and off-road racers alike.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Look at things today and what he started and where it has gone. Wow!!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Look at things today and what he started and where it has gone. Wow!!
IMHO the side by side as we know it is an amalgamation of a LOT of vehicles into ONE "perfect" vehicle
at the same time frame my grand dad was involved with some army buddies to build a "jigger" OR what later became the ARGO
also old golf carts being modded into yard trucks that leads to the JD gator
not to mention the kubelwagon and mini moke light offroad cars

1 - 3 of 3 Posts