GM Inside News Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The Buick emblem looks so blah without color. I can't believe they ever thought that looked better. Maybe it's to do with the fact that Buick's lineup has been blah for NA for such a long time that it's reflecting in there emblem.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
Why, exactly, was it necessary to drive the organization into bankruptcy before grasping the fundamental wisdom of the old, independent division structure?
As the efforts of cost cutting and consolidation began to take root in the early 1970s (remember it began when they quit using division-specific engines, and they started puting Chevy engines in Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles), it went full swing in the 1980s. By the time the 1990s rolled around they had eliminated positions of divison managers and the corporate structure was so ingrained and woven into the company so deeply, it could not be broken without changing the people at the top. It was evidenced in how poorly they badge engineered the cars to the point the same car was sold at 3 different divisons with only different front and rear clips telling them appart. They were so stubborn and thinking closed minded the ship was sinking, people were drowning, and yet they still sang merrily along.

Rick Wagoner and Fritz Henderson had too much old school GM in them to make the sweeping changes quickly that they needed. Only a full bust out of the company with a chapter 11, government takeover, elimination of unprofitable divisions, and independently appointed CEO could clean up the mess.

Whitacre is a much needed breath of fresh air to have all the corporate clowns walking on pins and needles now. Not only do they have individual division managers again, but he has them all walking on pins and needles - telling them to just make decisions quickly, but make the right decisions which will sell more cars or they will loose their jobs.

Accountability is really the bottom line. No more high life living in the ivory tower supported by the board of directors and the CEO. It's time to make cars people want to buy, focus on the customers, and not only keep up with the quickly changing market but start to lead. Ed Whitacre is shaking 100 year old cobwebs off and lubricating parts of the company that had completely dried up and seized.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hard to believe so much discussion over Buick's emblem not having the red/white/blue. Isn't Buick trying to separate itself from the stigma of old?... but most out there yell foul when the red/white/blue is gone.

Red/White/Blue Buick emblem = Old person's car
New Buick emblem = New, fresh, young...true?

I really don't have a problem with the lack of color on my Enclave's Buick emblem, but then again...would be fine with it if there were red/white/blue in it as well. I really don't get that caught up on emblems, and will keep all of them attached on my vehicles, unlike some who want to "de-clutter" their rides by stripping the badges, or perhaps are not true GM enthusiests, therefore are "embarrassed" for having any words on their vehicles that tell what they are driving to those who don't know different models from each other.

Also, I tend to refer to my vehicles as "GM's" not always by the division, so maybe that tells something about myself, that I like the parent company.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
As the efforts of cost cutting and consolidation began to take root in the early 1970s (remember it began when they quit using division-specific engines, and they started puting Chevy engines in Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles), it went full swing in the 1980s. By the time the 1990s rolled around they had eliminated positions of divison managers and the corporate structure was so ingrained and woven into the company so deeply, it could not be broken without changing the people at the top. It was evidenced in how poorly they badge engineered the cars to the point the same car was sold at 3 different divisons with only different front and rear clips telling them appart. They were so stubborn and thinking closed minded the ship was sinking, people were drowning, and yet they still sang merrily along.

Rick Wagoner and Fritz Henderson had too much old school GM in them to make the sweeping changes quickly that they needed. Only a full bust out of the company with a chapter 11, government takeover, elimination of unprofitable divisions, and independently appointed CEO could clean up the mess.

Whitacre is a much needed breath of fresh air to have all the corporate clowns walking on pins and needles now. Not only do they have individual division managers again, but he has them all walking on pins and needles - telling them to just make decisions quickly, but make the right decisions which will sell more cars or they will loose their jobs.

Accountability is really the bottom line. No more high life living in the ivory tower supported by the board of directors and the CEO. It's time to make cars people want to buy, focus on the customers, and not only keep up with the quickly changing market but start to lead. Ed Whitacre is shaking 100 year old cobwebs off and lubricating parts of the company that had completely dried up and seized.
Quote of the thread!:clap: Hope you're right!:yup:

I also agree with others that Buick should bring back the color to the tri-shield. All the other divisions still have color and it would make it look better. If China can have it, America should too. We are STILL the Red, White, and Blue afterall! Besides, I remember a couple years ago there were several articles about how Cadillac was going to great pains to put color on all logos, even wheels because they thought it was so much more classy looking on the crest.

As far as the Mark of Excellence logo, I'm sure it's not going away as others have said, it's just not going to be part of the marketing scheme for now.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They are going to need to widen the seatbelt clickers to fit "GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY" on them.:)
What are the odds, I was thinking the same thing!

In fact if you look closely you can still see that logo vaguely on my thumb after I seared it in one day while buckling up in my dad's '83 Oldsmobile wagon.:lmao:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
new logo is good. shows a new image for the company. maybe one day they will bring back the old one. i do miss it when the logo was on every seat belt buckle.

whats odd is that my brothers 2010 malibu has the GM square emblem on it. i thought they had stopped doing that in 2009

Alan

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Originally Posted by AirCleaner View Post
The Buick logo looks cheap without color
Skeletal even. I can still picture the tri-shield on the dash of my uncle's way cool 1967 Skylark and on several of our family cars. It was understated but classy. You knew immediately that you were riding in a Buick when you saw it. Taking away the colour guts the heart and history of the emblem.

The Buick emblem looks so blah without color. I can't believe they ever thought that looked better. Maybe it's to do with the fact that Buick's lineup has been blah for NA for such a long time that it's reflecting in there emblem.
Agreed!!!
The Buick tri-shield badge w/out the colors in it make it look lifeless b/c it is.
The China model Buicks have color in their Buick badges, why can't we have color in the NA Buick's as it should have?? The colors should have never been removed in the 1st place. I would like Lutz to order the colors to be restored to the Buick badge before he retires from GM.:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

!!!!!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Agreed!!!
The Buick tri-shield badge w/out the colors in it make it look lifeless b/c it is.
The China model Buicks have color in their Buick badges, why can't we have color in the NA Buick's as it should have?? The colors should have never been removed in the 1st place. I would like Lutz to order the colors to be restored to the Buick badge before he retires from GM.:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:
I'm not sure if this has been postulated yet.

Maybe Buick in North America went away from the coloured crest because of the perception that American vehicles were not as good. Maybe they thought that removing the red, white and blue could help mask that it was an American brand.

In China, I think the people there regard American cars in a different way and hence the red, white and blue association remained.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone else here thing the GMC brand logo looks like an afterthought around those other logos? Like someone just picked the font, typed the letters and said "Good enough"?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'm kind of curious why there's no lightning bolt, griffin, or lion ;)
Modern Corporations realize that even though the Public is by and large asleep, there are many groups that are aware of Ciphers and Symbols and will take active issue against them! General Motors has just returned from the grave, they will not risk offending anyone, whether innocent or not!;)

:drive:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
How about the old school '59 Trishield as shown here? My '74 LeSabre has them

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Why did they ever used this emblem? I think it was from around 1987-1990? My dad's 88 Regal had it.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Who said that is actually a new logo for GM? To me it looks like they're just showing the logos of the 4 remaining brands and spelling out GM under it. Unless the image is copywrited, it's unlikely to be their official logo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Who said that is actually a new logo for GM? To me it looks like they're just showing the logos of the 4 remaining brands and spelling out GM under it. Unless the image is copywrited, it's unlikely to be their official logo.
I agree. I think they are just showing the new face of GM, not the new logo.

Just to give myself some comfort, I'll have my own version. It looks a lot better if you ask me :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I agree. I think they are just showing the new face of GM, not the new logo.

Just to give myself some comfort, I'll have my own version. It looks a lot better if you ask me :)

Gotta be careful with that red arrow around here now-a-days.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Anyone else here thing the GMC brand logo looks like an afterthought around those other logos? Like someone just picked the font, typed the letters and said "Good enough"?
That GMC brand logo does have some cachet to it, though. Pretty good for a brand of mostly rebadges with option packages. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
How about the old school '59 Trishield as shown here? My '74 LeSabre has them

My '84 Park avenue had them and my dad's '76 Electra 225 had them.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts