GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Not bad at all... Nice job for it being a quickie.

I believe there's a good chance the next gen SRX (or is it XT5? :confused:) could look much like this. It's a relatively conservative change or evolution from the current vehicle, which has been successful, that also incorporates the front end look of the new Escalade... :)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Rough chop (you said it - looks great to me) or not, that actually looks 1000000% better than the current one! Hope Cadillac will rub some Escaladeness into the SRX/XT-whatever...

·
Registered
21,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Nice job.

Squaring up the rear is a lot harder than those who asked for it to be done realise. So, given I can do that stuff in minutes that would takes others hours, I did it for you... besides I wanted to see what it would look like myself.

;)
Both are awesome jobs, but once the back is raised and squared, it screams to be longer. Maybe there is a happy medium in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
That's it right there. You two teamed up to make one nice SRX replacement. Could it be a little longer as somebody mentioned? Sure. Why not? But I think it looks excellent as is. Great work...

Nice job. Squaring up the rear is a lot harder than those who asked for it to be done realise. So, given I can do that stuff in minutes that would takes others hours, I did it for you... besides I wanted to see what it would look like myself.

;)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Funny you all picked up on the rear because I left it as-is. I like the idea of it being a little more squared off (also similar to the first gen SRX) but not too boxy. I couldn't quite find a happy medium so I left it, I think that largely had to do with this particular camera angle.

The front was quite simple: This is a CUV.. so take the Escalade, and "soften" it up a bit by adding aspects of the cars. Sometimes I think the design heads at GM wayyy over think things

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Nice improvements but this was American Muscle's idea and thread.

:hijack:
And it is still his thread and very much his idea and everyone other than you seems to see that.

It's an easy enough thing for admin to delete my participation completely if that is what he wants.

American_Muscle has been here almost as long as us and knows me well enough and that I like to share and welcome anybody to add their ideas to my chops, and when they don't have the chopping skill to do it themselves they tell me and I often make their suggested changes to my chops so they feel like they have contributed and it makes the community here on GMI more inclusive, more interesting and more friendly. And I also, where I have skills to do things I know are harder for others, like to help out.

I know you and I are exactly opposite. I like to share, you hate to share. I like people to contribute to my ideas, you are extremely possessive of your ideas. I believe my chop ideas are of no real worth or value at all and I don't watermark them and let everyone use them for free. You think your chops have value and want to charge money for them.

I know none of my chops or anyone else's will ever be made into cars and are just fleeting ideas and pieces of art that tell a thousand words and thus who's real worth is in the conversations and sharing between car enthusiasts which they engender. You still hope to be a car designer.

If what I do does hijack a thread it is with well meaning intent to add to peoples interest and enhance the conversation.

When you hijack a thread like now it does not seem to me to be well intended. American_Muscle is not a child needing you to express what may or may not be his view. He's a grown adult and could have said anything about this too me privately or straight out publicly if he had wanted to. But I think he knows, as do most of the others, that for me to offer improvements to a chop is the highest compliment I can pay to a fellow chopper.

I wouldn't waste my time or effort if it wasn't already a good idea deserving of the fine tuning others were asking for. I see it like fellow musicians sitting in with each other and jamming because we love doing it. But anyway, don't let me stop you hijacking American_Muscle's thread for your own less than well meaning purposes...

And BTW, you told me 'nice improvements' but you have yet to leave a comment to American_Muscle. Don't you think if you are going to post in his thread you should at least comment/feedback/something about 'his' chop and excellent idea?

;)

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
And it is still his thread and very much his idea and everyone other than you seems to see that.

It's an easy enough thing for admin to delete my participation completely if that is what he wants.

American_Muscle has been here almost as long as us and knows me well enough and that I like to share and welcome anybody to add their ideas to my chops, and when they don't have the chopping skill to do it themselves they tell me and I often make their suggested changes to my chops so they feel like they have contributed and it makes the community here on GMI more inclusive, more interesting and more friendly. And I also, where I have skills to do things I know are harder for others, like to help out.

I know you and I are exactly opposite. I like to share, you hate to share. I like people to contribute to my ideas, you are extremely possessive of your ideas. I believe my chop ideas are of no real worth or value at all and I don't watermark them and let everyone use them for free. You think your chops have value and want to charge money for them.

I know none of my chops or anyone else's will ever be made into cars and are just fleeting ideas and pieces of art that tell a thousand words and thus who's real worth is in the conversations and sharing between car enthusiasts which they engender. You still hope to be a car designer.

If what I do does hijack a thread it is with well meaning intent to add to peoples interest and enhance the conversation.

When you hijack a thread like now it does not seem to me to be well intended. American_Muscle is not a child needing you to express what may or may not be his view. He's a grown adult and could have said anything about this too me privately or straight out publicly if he had wanted to. But I think he knows, as do most of the others, that for me to offer improvements to a chop is the highest compliment I can pay to a fellow chopper.

I wouldn't waste my time or effort if it wasn't already a good idea deserving of the fine tuning others were asking for. I see it like fellow musicians sitting in with each other and jamming because we love doing it. But anyway, don't let me stop you hijacking American_Muscle's thread for your own less than well meaning purposes...

And BTW, you told me 'nice improvements' but you have yet to leave a comment to American_Muscle. Don't you think if you are going to post in his thread you should at least comment/feedback/something about 'his' chop and excellent idea?

;)
blah blah blah pontification blah blah blah

Do you have to write a book each time you reply?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice improvements but this was American Muscle's idea and thread.

:hijack:
While I appreciate your looking-out, in this case I don't mind. The image/thread I created was just a starting point to what I would do if I were a designer at GM and was meant for discussion. MonaroSS's post was just showing a small change he would do to what I had. While I had already played around with the mentioned suggestion during the original process, nobody has access to that. And since we're talking purely about aesthetics, it's much easier to tweak the existing image than try and explain it to everyone. I don't believe it was his intent to hijack my idea/image/post/thread. Even if he had posted a completely different design all it would have done was keep the debate going. It's rare that a good design comes exclusively from one designers brain.

It would be a completely different story had he taken my image, altered it, and posted it in a new thread or on an entirely different site claiming it as his own.

On the plus side, this is the most activity I've seen in this area of GMI in years.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
While I appreciate your looking-out, in this case I don't mind. The image/thread I created was just a starting point to what I would do if I were a designer at GM and was meant for discussion. MonaroSS's post was just showing a small change he would do to what I had. While I had already played around with the mentioned suggestion during the original process, nobody has access to that. And since we're talking purely about aesthetics, it's much easier to tweak the existing image than try and explain it to everyone. I don't believe it was his intent to hijack my idea/image/post/thread. Even if he had posted a completely different design all it would have done was keep the debate going. It's rare that a good design comes exclusively from one designers brain.

It would be a completely different story had he taken my image, altered it, and posted it in a new thread or on an entirely different site claiming it as his own.

On the plus side, this is the most activity I've seen in this area of GMI in years.
Yes it's a shame we don't have activity in here like we used to. I credit this section with teaching me how to chop, watching the talents of members like FBODYRULES and Rex Raider. Rex was a hard worker for this site for many years running the weekly and monthly chop competitions. I think most members enjoyed them and we all learned a lot and developed our skills. Competition improves the breed...

I took over for a few years when Rex couldn't do it any more, but it took up a lot of time and even though I simplified the system to cut the workload, when I got busy I handed it off to I think maybe it was 2B2 before he went over to edit FordInsidenews.com. I don't have the time, but it would be great if the competitions started again, even if just the monthlly one, even every second month. I recommend camaro_freak to do it - idle hands and all that... and he seems to love setting out rules and such...:D

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts