GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a BPG store in Maryland. We're a smaller operation with 6 salespeople. I'm trying to take a consensus about the working schedule. Currently, each salesperson's schedule is as follows: 9-9 two days a week, 8-5 once a week, 2-9 once a week, one weekday off, Saturday 9-5, closed Sunday.

Does anyone do a rotating schedule? I'm considering a schedule of say 9-4, and then the next day it's 2-9. The weekday off would also rotate, so one week one it's Monday, week two it's Tuesday and so on. That would also ensure that about every 6-7 weeks they'd have a 3 day weekend. I think that may be good for employee morale, especially in a down market and keep it active enough that each salesperson can still make a living.

I look forward to reading replies. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Also, any ideas on increasing some floor traffic???

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Your proposed schedule is a lot more appealing than your existing schedule IMO. Also, I see a two day weekend but I don't see the three day weekend. What am I missing? :confused: Also, based on the CarMax model and limited personal experience, why have salesmen on the floor at 8:00 AM? Do you have any numbers that indicates it makes economic sense to do this?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your proposed schedule is a lot more appealing than your existing schedule IMO. Also, I see a two day weekend but I don't see the three day weekend. What am I missing? :confused: Also, based on the CarMax model and limited personal experience, why have salesmen on the floor at 8:00 AM? Do you have any numbers that indicates it makes economic sense to do this?

The 3 day wknd I figure would be that they'd receive a Monday as the day off immediately after the Saturday as the day off, ergo the 3 day wknd...Sat,Sun,Monday.

The reason they have sales staff on at 8 is because service opens at 7:30 a.m. and the waiting area is in our showroom. Never know when that service customer may want to look at a new car. Financially speaking it makes no difference. The sales staff aren't paid by the hour, but I find it hard to contend with having 5 people here on one day, and only 2 on some evenings!! That's why I figured using a split shift rotating schedule may be better.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
We're open 6 days a week, but our saels guys only do 5 days.

Week 1- Mon 9-4 / Tue 2-9 / Wed 9-4 / Thurs 9-9 / Fri OFF / Sat 9-6
Week 2- Mon 2-9 / Tue 9-4 / Wed 2-8 / Thurs OFF / Fri 9-6 / Sat 9-6

and it alternates every week.

Never a 2 day weekend, unless there's a holiday on a Monday.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Ex manager here.

How do the guys handle the 9-9 days? Are they dragging at 7pm, or still ready to go?

I love the 3 day weekend plan you have!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
. Financially speaking it makes no difference. The sales staff aren't paid by the hour,
atta boy work em dead, who cars hey.....if that is the case just make them all work 12 hour days.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The 3 day wknd I figure would be that they'd receive a Monday as the day off immediately after the Saturday as the day off, ergo the 3 day wknd...Sat,Sun,Monday.

The reason they have sales staff on at 8 is because service opens at 7:30 a.m. and the waiting area is in our showroom. Never know when that service customer may want to look at a new car. Financially speaking it makes no difference. The sales staff aren't paid by the hour, but I find it hard to contend with having 5 people here on one day, and only 2 on some evenings!! That's why I figured using a split shift rotating schedule may be better.
Thank you for the clarification. This is light years better than any schedule I worked or observed in my stints in auto dealerships. For me it would indicate you valued the sales staff. I would have to believe this would be good for morale, increase retention and make recruiting easier!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Our guys are scheduled to work 5 days with either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday off. Full court press for Friday, Saturday, and Monday, 8-8. Mid week days have staggered daily schedules with one team working early, the other late. This makes it easy to manage, and everybody knows what the deal is.

We've found few of the crew actually take their days off - just the established fella's who can afford to take one.

This is a tough schedule, but it's worked here for years.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I work at a small Gm dealer 3 salespeople. We work 8 to 6 M-F and one of us works Sat from 8-12pm. We have never had much of a Saturday crowd even when they were open. Our best days are Friday and Monday

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
atta boy work em dead, who cars hey.....if that is the case just make them all work 12 hour days.
No, no...I'm a salesperson here also, I'm not a manager. I've got a little bit of clout with the owner here because I do my job well. But, I'm trying to find a way to increase the sales staff morale here. We've got good talent, but they're in their late fifties and early sixties. I'm 43 myself and the youngest guy is 37. Now for he and I, it's not that bad...yet! But, for the other guys, and they're good sales people, they're getting a bit burned out by having those 2 12-13 hour days a week. Also, it would give everyone equal time off. The way it is now, the two salespeople that have Friday off normally, they get a 3 day weekend each month when they take their scheduled Saturday off. I know this because I'm one of the salespeople.
I was wondering if anyone does a similar schedule to my suggestion in their dealership. I want to find out what the downside is before I pitch it to the GM and Dealer.
Thanks for the input folks....It's always appreciated.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm surprised at how lazy many of your Saturday schedules are. Why wouldn't any of you be open 'til 9:00 PM? Here it's alternating 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM with one day off between Tuesday and Thursday. Everyone works dingers on Saturdays but the first salesman to sell two cars gets to leave early.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We're open 6 days a week with a rotating schedule.

Here is how week 1 & 3 goes down of the month.

Mon 12-9, Tues 8-6 Wed 8-6, thurs 8-12 (4 hour break) 4-9, Fri 8-6 Saturday Off

Week 2 & 4 switch a bit.

Mon 8-12 (4 hour break) 4-9, Tues OFF, Wednesday 8-6, Thurs 12-9, Fri 8-6, Saturday 9-2

It works well and no one complains.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
No, no...I'm a salesperson here also, I'm not a manager. I've got a little bit of clout with the owner here because I do my job well. But, I'm trying to find a way to increase the sales staff morale here. We've got good talent, but they're in their late fifties and early sixties. I'm 43 myself and the youngest guy is 37. Now for he and I, it's not that bad...yet! But, for the other guys, and they're good sales people, they're getting a bit burned out by having those 2 12-13 hour days a week. Also, it would give everyone equal time off. The way it is now, the two salespeople that have Friday off normally, they get a 3 day weekend each month when they take their scheduled Saturday off. I know this because I'm one of the salespeople.
I was wondering if anyone does a similar schedule to my suggestion in their dealership. I want to find out what the downside is before I pitch it to the GM and Dealer.
Thanks for the input folks....It's always appreciated.

ahhh ok ok, just razzin ya, anyhow I started at a used rental sales lot Budget car sales, anyhow we did a 7 day week, basically they are closed 2 days a year xmas and new years, open the rest of the time, 8-7...SO

the schedule was for 6 guys

Monday was a split day 3 from 8-2, and afternoon shift.... 3 from 1-7, yes there is overlap
Tuesday was the same only swap, morning and afternoon shift, keep thigs fair.
Wednesday was a full day BUt it would go 8-5 and 11-7 1 guy came in at 8 the other 2 at 11... 3 people had the day off.

Thursday was split again

And 4 guys worked full Friday and Sat and 11-5 Sunday giving 2 guys a Friday, Sat, Sunday, and Monday morning OFF....the 2 guys off for theweekend did no return till monday afternoon andwe wouldtry to work it so they worked Thursday morning..

So 2 different people would get a Thursday afternoon, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning off, at least ever 4th week I beleive.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm surprised at how lazy many of your Saturday schedules are. Why wouldn't any of you be open 'til 9:00 PM? Here it's alternating 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM with one day off between Tuesday and Thursday. Everyone works dingers on Saturdays but the first salesman to sell two cars gets to leave early.

'cuz here after 5 on a Saturday, we're dead. Sometimes you'll catch someone driving thru wanting a brochure. We're not open on Sundays either.I like it like that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ex manager here.

How do the guys handle the 9-9 days? Are they dragging at 7pm, or still ready to go?

I love the 3 day weekend plan you have!

Come 7pm, they're already trying to find ways to NOT take an up. Can't be tryin' to sell cars when you wanna go home in a few hours!! Nah, just kiddin' in all honesty, come 7,they're still okay...but definitely bitching. Like the movie title, the car business is just not for old men!! Young ladies, no problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
'cuz here after 5 on a Saturday, we're dead. Sometimes you'll catch someone driving thru wanting a brochure. We're not open on Sundays either.I like it like that.
Crazy. We get enough traffic in the late evening to warrant it. That's when we end up staying 'til Sunday morning.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crazy. We get enough traffic in the late evening to warrant it. That's when we end up staying 'til Sunday morning.

Are you in a strong metropolitan area? Where we're located is about 30 miles south of Philly, 60 miles north of Baltimore and about 100 miles north of DC. I don't think I could work where you are....unless the income warrants it that is. I know I'd be looking to separate someone from their limbs if they kept me at a store until 1 am and didn't buy..grrr

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm at a dealership with about 12 salespeople on the floor. Some of us are on a rotating schedule (Monday-Saturday, then Monday-Thursday the following week). It's nice to have a 3 day weekend every other week, but I myself am one of the Monday-Friday guys every week. Also, there are a couple people that prefer to work every weekend, so for them, they take one day off during the week.

The work hours are Monday/Thursday (8:30-9), Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday (8:30-6) and Saturdays (10-4). Schedule seems to work out great, but occasionally a couple people have to swap days if they need to take a scheduled work day off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts