GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership today to test drive a Volt. I really like the car and am contemplating buying the next gen. The salesman came out to the car and told me something that I never knew, and frankly having a hard time believing. He said that the Volt can only go around 380 miles. At that point, you must shut the car off and fully recharge the vehicle. So if I go on a 450 mile trip, I must find a plug 3/4 of the way there and stop for 2 hrs to recharge. This can't be true! I have always believed that as long as there is fuel running the engine, the car can still operate. If I want to go on a 1000 mile trip, I can as long as I stop for gas to run the engine.

Who is right?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Ummmnnn... is this a serious question? Just like any regular ICE vehicle, mileage is unlimited on the Volt as long as you keep gasoline in the tank. I drove mine 600 miles home from a dealer in MI, all on gasoline.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I went to the dealership today to test drive a Volt. I really like the car and am contemplating buying the next gen. The salesman came out to the car and told me something that I never knew, and frankly having a hard time believing. He said that the Volt can only go around 380 miles. At that point, you must shut the car off and fully recharge the vehicle. So if I go on a 450 mile trip, I must find a plug 3/4 of the way there and stop for 2 hrs to recharge. This can't be true! I have always believed that as long as there is fuel running the engine, the car can still operate. If I want to go on a 1000 mile trip, I can as long as I stop for gas to run the engine.

Who is right?
Perhaps a Volt with a full charge and a full tank of gas will go 380 miles, in which case it would run out unless you stopped for gas? I think perhaps this salesman doesn't know his anus from a hole in the ground!

When my sister bought her new CTS a few months back, I mentioned to the salesman that it could automatically parallel park and also auto park perpendicularly, and how cool that was. He said, "No it just has parking sensors but can't self park, none of them can" I told him it could but he was having none of it. Once we got home my brother in law and I both read the section in the manual pertaining to that function, and I then we went out and auto parked the car.

I'm sure you could even find a few sales people at Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Acura dealers etc as equally ill informed, but you'll find a much higher percentage of these dunderheads at dealerships selling domestic products is my guess.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
:lmao: :fall: LOL. You gotta love car salesmenz!

This poor mope is not only stupid and ignorant, but he's screwing himself, his car store, and GM over big time.

Go back and tell him to QUIT getting his Volt range briefs from the MSM-morons, that includes everyone from CNN to MSNBC to Fox to Al Roper and Katie Couric. They are all idiots and ignoramii.:eek:

What you read above is true.

I suggest you call the sales manager and ask him to answer the range question, and see how informed or uninformed he is.
Perhaps salesman's misinformation is coming from the top. :fall:

In that case, their thoughts need to be corrected before more damage occurs.

·
Registered
21,328 Posts
Is it just me, or are there others that have a hard time believe this was a real discussion?

Not to mention, on the road, 2 hours of charge is going to give you about 8 miles of battery.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Is it just me, or are there others that have a hard time believe this was a real discussion?

Not to mention, on the road, 2 hours charge is going to give you about 8 miles of battery.
Haha. As my old man used to say, "Straight or satire?"

I just wish that such an idiotic exchange with a modern video-educated automotive sales professional was an impossibility. The opposite is more likely true. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts