1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The advantage CR and others enjoy is most people don't comprehend statistics. So they hear results from CR and others and assume they're correct. I doubt any statistician would take any of those quality results as accurate.

What I would prefer to see out of these surveys is a discussion of where cars stand over time. I think it would help all automakers if the surveys showed how much cars have progressed since these surveys first appeared. When I mentioned recently to a friend that todays average is better than a Lexus 10 years ago he was skeptical. When I showed him the numbers he said that that type of information meant more than knowing who was #1. The sheer amount of improvement in the auto industry has been breathtaking. I rarely see a car broken down on the side of the road anymore. Yet people still seem to think there's some great divide between the makes. There simply isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
No, there isn't a huge difference between automakers now but if you look at the WAY that Consumer Reports MARKETS imports there is a definite and arguable BIAS toward import manufacturers. There is a deceptive and concerted effort to keep the American public in the dark about quality American-made rolling steel and minimize the qualities failures of the import marques. The easiest example is the Toyota Tundra with it's engine failures; it was hardly mentioned in CR as were the tailgate delamination problems.

Consumer Reports has also suppressed the multi-billion dollar lawsuit against Toyota for engine oil sludge in its 4-cylinder engines.

I wouldn't even wipe my ass with CR. I prefer quality toilet paper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts