GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Detroit Free Press
August 5, 2022

In a decade or so, the vroom and roar of a gasoline engine will be replaced by the silence of an EV. Here's why sound matters to enthusiasts.

A red Corvette with a license plate reading "Suprtoy" sits amid exotic European sports cars, handmade hot rods, a 1934 Ford owned by a retired Ford car designer and even one of the first 1968 Ford Broncos — green with cream-colored seats.

It's early on a recent Saturday morning and a small parking lot next to Pasteiner's Auto Zone Hobbies shop on Woodward Avenue near 14 Mile Road in Birmingham has transformed into a makeshift auto show.

The crowd is as eclectic as the cars. There are collectors, classic car designers and, on occasion, even big name auto executives such as Ford Motor Co. CEO Jim Farley and General Motors President Mark Reuss showing up, said Steve Pasteiner, the owner.

This group of about 100 are united in a passion for gasoline-powered automobiles. Sure, the world is shifting to electric vehicles in the future, heck even Reuss' and Farley's companies are both making big pushes for all-electric futures, but this group hangs on to little bangs of combustion that combine to create a roar like no other.

“There’s a distinct sound of a six-cylinder flat engine in a Porsche versus a V8 versus a turbo-charged four-cylinder,” said Frank Conner, president of the Western Michigan Region Porsche Club of America, which has 693 members. “Everybody loves to hear their car start up and hear that sound.”

But there's no denying that the enthusiasts' passion for powerful exhaust tones will be relegated to the past at some point. The replacement will be virtual silence, punctuated with the occasional cacophony of artificial pedestrian warning noises emulating from EVs. It's an inevitable — and for many, bittersweet — subtext that lingers on these folks' minds.

"With the classic cars there’s a romantic beauty about them with the sound and proportions. The sound augments the image," Pasteiner said. "But it’s a changing world.

Article continues at link.

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someday I will drive a EV that will go down a big hill near my home and recharge the battery as I slowly apply the brakes. Right now, I shift to 3rd gear and take that hill about 40 miles an hour while my Jaguar V6 emits the most amazing gurgling sound you can imagine. To think that generations to come will not appreciate, or experience that sound just makes me sad, and lucky at the same time.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,914 Posts
I own two classic cars. Do not care about the sound.
I like my cars quiet.

·
Premium Member
37,000 Posts
^^ Yeah I can go vroom vroom all by myself, no engine needed. Learned that as a kid. Also can do sounds of burning rubber, with no danger of getting a ticket. Rrrrrrrrrttttttt!

Reactions: BlackGTP and gkr778

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
^^ Yeah I can go vroom vroom all by myself, no engine needed. Learned that as a kid. Also can do sounds of burning rubber, with no danger of getting a ticket. Rrrrrrrrrttttttt!
At most car shows, unless there's a burnout contest, doing a burnout can get you banned.
Whoever's doing the music usually reminds the attendees about it.

I've also seen a couple of incidents - burnout debris hitting cars and wrecks.
Law enforcement will be called if you do something stupid.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,784 Posts
Nice! Have you met Daniel, the "vroom, vroom" guy from Australia?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,065 Posts
Meh, It don't matter so much if what you have sounds like it's grinding rags up under there when you punch it. That said I will miss the sounds of an engine as you accelerate, it's just one of those things-sensations-feelings that are part of life.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Just keep an existing V8 in the sable to satiate that desire. I used to jump between my Vette and my Volt all the time. The Volt always felt like a science project inside, the instant torque was impressive and the electric whirling sound was actually kinda cool in a high tech sorta way. Of course the NPP exhaust on the Vette is far more intoxicating.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
I enjoy the synthetic engine sound inside my car. And, based on the Hummer videos, I'd say we will still have interior sounds. So I'm all good.

Though I really don't care to hear someone else's 4 cylinder fart can, that sound is agitating. Even more agitating is a Harley, though I don't seem to mind the sound of sport bikes. I like V8 sounds most of the time, though some take it to far for me.

For me, I'll be fine with not hearing someone else's engine sound. My gut tells me my opinion will be shared by most - someone is enjoying themselves at the expense of everyone else around them.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
I enjoy the synthetic engine sound inside my car. And, based on the Hummer videos, I'd say we will still have interior sounds. So I'm all good.

Though I really don't care to hear someone else's 4 cylinder fart can, that sound is agitating. Even more agitating is a Harley, though I don't seem to mind the sound of sport bikes. I like V8 sounds most of the time, though some take it to far for me.

For me, I'll be fine with not hearing someone else's engine sound. My gut tells me my opinion will be shared by most - someone is enjoying themselves at the expense of everyone else around them.
Ha Ha Ha on that last couple of sentences :D :) 🤪

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
should have clarified it better......to play engine sounds as you accelerate
You know some manufacturer will eventually offer "ringtone" exhaust options. Every time you push the accelerator peddle your car can sing "Don't worry be happy" in an endless loop. Hooray!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Recently we were walking downtown and some idiot in his BMW coupe (4 series I believe) drove around the block twice, his car's engine roaring.

I didn't see any approving looks from the hundreds of pedestrians who were there. At best he got ignored. Most disagreed.

Whether we like it or not, engine noises are no longer fashionable. Young, hip urban people are no longer impressed by this. My 13-year-old daughter says that deliberately making noise with her car engine is “boomer”.

This is the street where we were. The photo is not mine and judging by the light it was taken very early in the morning.

Building Road surface Infrastructure Sky Thoroughfare

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
There is nothing like the deep burbling coming from the custom dual exhaust of the V8 in my 1988 Chevy Caprice Classic when I pull it out of storage for the summer. With that said, I love the futuristic sounds that EVs emit. They are no where near loud enough for my tastes though. You have to be paying attention to hear the soundtrack or it can be missed. I don’t want their noises “disruptive” loud but I do want to hear them. That’s just me.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Recently we were walking downtown and some idiot in his BMW coupe (4 series I believe) drove around the block twice, his car's engine roaring.

I didn't see any approving looks from the hundreds of pedestrians who were there. At best he got ignored. Most disagreed.

Whether we like it or not, engine noises are no longer fashionable. Young, hip urban people are no longer impressed by this. My 13-year-old daughter says that deliberately making noise with her car engine is “boomer”.

This is the street where we were. The photo is not mine and judging by the light it was taken very early in the morning.

View attachment 66976
I call the loud exhaust "the rare and beautiful mating sound of the North American Dumba$$" However, never once has a woman been attracted by loud exhaust, the poor North American Dumba$$ keeps on trying.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
It's a strange thing because I feel like I'm among the few that feels the pinnacle of automotive engineering is achieving complete silence while delivering incredible power, performance, and smoothness.
EVs do what they tried to do with V12s & W12s, but do it better and for much less $$$.

Reactions: BORG

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
There is nothing like the deep burbling coming from the custom dual exhaust of the V8 in my 1988 Chevy Caprice Classic when I pull it out of storage for the summer. With that said, I love the futuristic sounds that EVs emit. They are no where near loud enough for my tastes though. You have to be paying attention to hear the soundtrack or it can be missed. I don’t want their noises “disruptive” loud but I do want to hear them. That’s just me.
Agree with that, and I personally think these almost or silent cars can be dangerous in certain situations where like someone isn't quite paying attention and could get wiped out. :(

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Agree with that, and I personally think these almost or silent cars can be dangerous in certain situations where like someone isn't quite paying attention and could get wiped out. :(
While it wasn't my intention, I often snuck up on folks walking in parking lots with the Volt. They had no clue I was driving behind them. Gen1 Volts had 2 horns, one was much weaker so you could warn folks you were behind them without making them jump out of their skin. They always looked so surprised that I was behind them in a car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts