GM Inside News Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
AGAIN, that is not what @RamJet502 is saying!
- A full-size Crew-Cab make a horrible daily for many, which is what 85% of them are used for.
So what?
- Ford has the Tremor (in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton versions) and Ram has the Rebel.
Theres people that actually want to tackle the harder trails in there daily driven truck. Your going to need something beefier than a Trail Boss, Rebel or Tremor that also has a factory warranty. GM offerings fit the bill with a lot more comfort.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,544 Posts
This^ The Hummer is cool, but in terms of HiPo Offroad performance trucks, GM was asleep at the wheel for 10 years.......Hummer changes that, but let's see how it sells before declaring it a winner.
Well, Hummer EV Pickup sales went from "zero, zero, zero" in Q1 2021 to 99 units sold in Q1 2022. ;)

View attachment 66157
Well it's a start anyway. :)

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
Theres people that actually want to tackle the harder trails in there daily driven truck. Your going to need something beefier than a Trail Boss, Rebel or Tremor that also has a factory warranty. GM offerings fit the bill with a lot more comfort.
That's great, nobody said otherwise, certainly not RamJet.................

At this point, I think the only person you are arguing with is yourself?

I love my Silverado LT Trail Boss and think the new Silverado ZR2 is cool, but they're not competition for the Raptor or TRX, not even close.

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
That's not really what I'm saying. I've said many times that if GM offered a supercharged 6.2L (or even something crazier) in the ZR2 it would be in the same league as the Raptor and TRX. Right now the LT Trail Boss and ZR2 are more equivalent to the Tremor and Rebel. I just wish GM would step their game up a bit. If they're going to compete in a segment, they should try and own the segment.
Part of the reason for that was the two biggest execs behind vehicle development pushed HiPo cars for a whole decade. Their contempt for performance utilities and Trucks ran so deep that they made sure that Alpha and Omega could never support utility versions. To this day, their darling Corvette gets huge love and funding while your S/C V8 truck, an absolute no brainer cash cow still stays ignored….

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
One thing about it. As soon as we are Born, we start to Die.

This is true in the Auto Market as well. Even more so in the Tech Market.

Ultium, might have been a Game Changer, but others have had nearly 7 years to catch up and surpass, before the first one hits Showrooms. It seems like a Perfect way to either Sink or Swim, betting everything in 1 Basket.

I can see where GM's previous Slap Happy Badge Labelling, Chasing Markets, can look very appealing with Ultium, however, the Target isn't stationary. Others including Tesla are also moving Tech and Chassis forward.

I wish GM and Mary, all the Success in the World. Selling GMs paid for my House. However, long term view is dismal at best. I mean EV could just be the Cassette Era of Portable Music, and probably is

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
One thing about it. As soon as we are Born, we start to Die.

This is true in the Auto Market as well. Even more so in the Tech Market.

Ultium, might have been a Game Changer, but others have had nearly 7 years to catch up and surpass, before the first one hits Showrooms. It seems like a Perfect way to either Sink or Swim, betting everything in 1 Basket.

I can see where GM's previous Slap Happy Badge Labelling, Chasing Markets, can look very appealing with Ultium, however, the Target isn't stationary. Others including Tesla are also moving Tech and Chassis forward.

I wish GM and Mary, all the Success in the World. Selling GMs paid for my House. However, long term view is dismal at best. I mean EV could just be the Cassette Era of Portable Music, and probably is
Progress marches on. But that doesn't mean that we should give up and not innovate, just because something better might (and probably will) come along.

I don't see EVs being obsoleted any time soon. The onboard electric source (or storage) could be betamaxed though. By way of a better battery design, fuel cells, Mr. Fusion, dilithium crystals, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was a GM guy for over 45 years, and dont think MB is looking for anything but profit through marketing and volume. maybe the products weren’t perfect, but they at least backed them up with service and customer loyalty. No more since they came out of bankruptcy. I had an almost perfect 1999 Blazer that was a victim of the DexCool leaks, or poor manufacturing with sealing of head bolts, that resulted in a hairline crack in a rear cylinder. Been in contact with them for six years with no hint of resolution. And how about the Silverado’s with the Castech heads. No, they left customers out to dry too many times.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Progress marches on. But that doesn't mean that we should give up and not innovate, just because something better might (and probably will) come along.

I don't see EVs being obsoleted any time soon. The onboard electric source (or storage) could be betamaxed though. By way of a better battery design, fuel cells, Mr. Fusion, dilithium crystals, etc.
I am not saying EV's will be obsolete. But lets say GM made everything on an X Body Platform for 10 years. Betting everything on Sheet Metal or Aluminum, but still X Body Under Pinnings. What would a Taurus do to GM's Ultium Plan then?

Why does GM have so many ICE Platforms if just 1 will work?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am not saying EV's will be obsolete. But lets say GM made everything on an X Body Platform for 10 years. Betting everything on Sheet Metal or Aluminum, but still X Body Under Pinnings. What would a Taurus do to GM's Ultium Plan then?

Why does GM have so many ICE Platforms if just 1 will work?
Having only one ICE platform won't work.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Which is why "ultium" isn't just one platform. It's merely an absolute bare bones skeleton that has to be remastered each time to build the vehicle they want.
You are making a semantic argument not a technical one. You are also trying to conflate the design considerations of electric drive with the design considerations of ICE drive. Not possible.

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
You are making a semantic argument not a technical one. You are also trying to conflate the design considerations of electric drive with the design considerations of ICE drive. Not possible.
Yea, sure.

Semantics aside, Ultium is the propulsion engineered side. That is it. You still have to design each and every drive unit (I think we're up to 11 different ones) and maybe 6 battery packs. You don't just hit the + button to scale up and the - button to scale down. The work is still there. Ultium is not this absolute perfect one off platform that will work for every single vehicle without changing a thing about it.

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
GM is planning up to 19 different combinations of batteries and drive motors, so while Ultium appears to be basic and simple, that belies the amount of development work that builds upon that foundation.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
GM is planning up to 19 different combinations of batteries and drive motors, so while Ultium appears to be basic and simple, that belies the amount of development work that builds upon that foundation.
How so? Hint: Compare this to the combinations of ICE models, engines, and transmissions that cover the same space from a given manufacturer.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts