GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Its barely got hare on its lip. You can count on your hands how many are actually in consumers driveways. Raptor's been tearring it up for what, 10(?) years?
So.... a brand new (from the ground up) 1000HP outrageous Hummer EV 4X4 is disregarded just because it's so new there's only a few hundred in the wild? It might just shame those ancient dino juice ICE machines you mention.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Nonsense, they have 4 dedicated EV platforms that are going to debut next year. Once again, they have a plug in hybrid system, when GM doesn't. Stellantis will have both plug hybrid and EV, not a bad spot to be in.

If Stellantis has four (4) dedicated EV platforms, then it has three (3) dedicated EV platforns too many. After Ford drops its modified ICE platforms underpinning the F150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E, it will be left with two (2) dedicated BEV platforms, which is still one (1) too many. However, Stellantis which is starting out behind Ford and GM is going to find itself at a huge competitive disadvantage while trying to develop and maintain four (4) platforms against Ford's two (2) and GM's one (1).

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,544 Posts
Precisely what Wall Street wanted to hear. Now get the show on the road Ms. Barra, literally. It seems things are moving way to slowly... for me anyway. I just hope she does deliver and that they might re-enter some segments they've bailed on. :)

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
Yes, I saw one last weekend on a semi-trailer heading to a dealership. Looked pretty cool, if overly huge "I'm not compensating, it's just cold in here" trucks are your thing.
Wait, you are making fun of the TRX, and praising the Bolt?

Yes, "Quote of the Decade" hahaha
It was 8 1/2 years ago, so not quite a decade...............

Forgot about that gem...............

First that came to my mind was Gen II Cruze (where MB bragged about how cheap it was going to be) and the Silverado/Sierra Interior, no excuse the Tahoe/Yukon had a decent interior before the T1XX even came out.

Let me think of others.............
🤔
TRAX, garbage..................

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
How is she 60 without grey hair? However, she has done a great job turning around GM to focus on being an Engineering firm first.
The job is aging her, but do you know how many boxes of hair dye you can buy with $29 million?...

Hair Nose Cheek Skin Head

Forehead Glasses Cheek Chin Vision care

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
20,733 Posts
I'm not so sure. Honestly, 90% of people have no idea what is under the hood. They can try and brand the EV Drive + Batteries, but I don't think it will stick. I think batteries + EV Drive motors will become appliance like - they are all too similar. I think the Product + the Brand will matter far more.

Its barely got hare on its lip. You can count on your hands how many are actually in consumers driveways. Raptor's been tearring it up for what, 10(?) years?

Nonsense, they have 4 dedicated EV platforms that are going to debut next year. Once again, they have a plug in hybrid system, when GM doesn't. Stellantis will have both plug hybrid and EV, not a bad spot to be in.

The Hornet is based off the Alfa Tonale, it will be completely fine for the segment. The Challenger/Charger factory is getting re-tooled for the next Gen as we speak, they have the Hurricane and Firefly engines, plus the 4XE plug in hyrbrid - they'll be completely fine.
I think you missed my point. Stellantis has 4 dedicated platforms - how much of that was developed by FCA? And Stellantis just announced their intention to begin building a battery plant later this year - kind of way behind. My point was FCA poured their money into Hellcats, etc. at the expense of tomorrow, ultimately leaving them with needing to merge with another company to meet the changing world. FCA announced an anemic BEV program in 2018, more compliance based and heavily weighted to China if I recall correctly - Sergio didn't like BEV.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I think you missed my point. Stellantis has 4 dedicated platforms - how much of that was developed by FCA? And Stellantis just announced their intention to begin building a battery plant later this year - kind of way behind. My point was FCA poured their money into Hellcats, etc. at the expense of tomorrow, ultimately leaving them with needing to merge with another company to meet the changing world. FCA announced an anemic BEV program in 2018, more compliance based and heavily weighted to China if I recall correctly - Sergio didn't like BEV.
Hellcats get a lot of attention but there’s way less of them than most people think. Definitely less than 100k total vehicles with the supercharged Hemi. That counts Challengers, Chargers, Durangos, Trackhawks, TRX’s. Last time I checked it was 67k of them ever produced which is not many considering they have been around for 7 years.

The vast majority of the tooling for those cars has been paid for over a decade ago and they get a great return on the dollar so the Hellcat isn’t holding them up as far as resources.

It’s a management call that’s definitely more conservative than just about everyone other than Toyota.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Which maybe true, but that isn't what RamJet is saying here; RamJet's comments are not wrong.
Both the Raptor and TRX make horrible daily’s and thats what most of them end up being 85 percent of the time. The AT4x is the more civilized and luxury focused version riding on just 32s. There is a market for both the ZR2 and AT4x

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Not touching anything electric till solid state battery's cells arrive that every man & his dog is promising but has failed to deliver in practice once the deadline for delivery time arrives then comes the excuses. Solid state battery cells will make EV on par with ICE new car prices in the showrooms, and hopefully will uses half the battery space so will be able double the range to 1,000 miles between charges, charge up within 5-10 minutes and last for 500,000 miles or 30 years whichever comes first, and hopefully thermal runaway problems will be designed out.

Current crop of EV's about to arrive will be regarded by future generations as massively overpriced garbage totally worthless scrapped at early age 10 years sent to an early grave as owner won't be able to afford to replace once the 8 year guarantee expires, probably making them one of the most environmentally damage types of car ever made when you take the manufacturing processes into account, as they get sent to an early grave. I don't think they will be considered a win by future generations.

When solid state battery cells arrive & work, l will be happy for gm Electric's long term future.

• Haha
Reactions: Cobaltss_King

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
“We made a pact,” Mr. Barra recalled. “We said we are not going to do crappy vehicles. If we launch a vehicle, we want it to win.”

Such a simple statement, yet GM for years in producing vehicles like the Vega and Citation, not to mention the Cadillac Cimarron, seemed to have no idea of the concept, and let the competition from Asia walk all over them.

Barra is undoubtedly, the best GM CEO of the last 50 years. The General Motors Corporation is in very good hands.

We made a pact, slaughtered a Chicken, swore a blood oath and exchanged ostrich eggs, that never again would GM play second fiddle to any one…. “ fee fi fo fum” They smelled the blood of an English man….

Thus it came to pass that this tale, that Bolt recall prompted internal Ultium development is false in its face

Both the Raptor and TRX make horrible daily’s and thats what most of them end up being 85 percent of the time. The AT4x is the more civilized and luxury focused version riding on just 32s. There is a market for both the ZR2 and AT4x
Also look at the reviews, The Silverado is superior at rock crawls and can maintain much higher speeds than TRX or Raptor on Gravel with a rookie, well over 80 MPH according to Andre at TFL, no one in their right minds would dare drive a raptor or T-REX that fast on gravel, just not that well sorted out…

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
The job is aging her, but do you know how many boxes of hair dye you can buy with $29 million?...

View attachment 66148
View attachment 66149
Ford's Mark Field might be able to give hair dye tips, he nearly bankrupted Ford doing it LOL

Seriously though everybody gets old with the ageing process, sadly nobody has escaped death yet her zero zero what was it zero crashes if that ends up prolonging life more in general that's got to be a win, as long as you deliver the goods, do your very best whilst you are here that is all that matters.

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
AGAIN, that is not what @RamJet502 is saying!
- A full-size Crew-Cab make a horrible daily for many, which is what 85% of them are used for.
So what?
- Ford has the Tremor (in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton versions) and Ram has the Rebel.

Reactions: RamJet502

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
Ford's Mark Field might be able to give hair dye tips, he nearly bankrupted Ford doing it LOL

Seriously though everybody gets old with the ageing process, sadly nobody has escaped death yet her zero zero what was it zero crashes if that ends up prolonging life more in general that's got to be a win, as long as you deliver the goods, do your very best whilst you are here that is all that matters.
I was merely replying to someone naive enough to think her hair hasn't greyed at all yet.
- Knowing her ethnicity, she probably started getting grey-hairs in her late 30's early 40's.

(I'm <5% grey, but started getting grey hairs in my late 20's and my facial hair is about 60% grey)

·
Registered
18,655 Posts
If Stellantis has four (4) dedicated EV platforms, then it has three (3) dedicated EV platforns too many. After Ford drops its modified ICE platforms underpinning the F150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E, it will be left with two (2) dedicated BEV platforms, which is still one (1) too many. However, Stellantis which is starting out behind Ford and GM is going to find itself at a huge competitive disadvantage while trying to develop and maintain four (4) platforms against Ford's two (2) and GM's one (1).
Yet, those platforms just might be scales of one singular platform as well. I think we forget that GM itself loves different platforms and while ultium is the best at being used many different ways, there are still going to be different platforms with ultium being the propulsion unit.
Hell, being last to the party could work out because they're going to see what everyone else screwed up!!! HA

So.... a brand new (from the ground up) 1000HP outrageous Hummer EV 4X4 is disregarded just because it's so new there's only a few hundred in the wild? It might just shame those ancient dino juice ICE machines you mention.
I don't think his disregarding it but merely saying that they really don't exist quite yet. It would be awesome if GM had enough capacity to put out 100 a week but we don't even know when that will happen.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Yet, those platforms just might be scales of one singular platform as well. I think we forget that GM itself loves different platforms and while ultium is the best at being used many different ways, there are still going to be different platforms with ultium being the propulsion unit.
This^. And there is no "Winner" yet, contrary to the bloviation on GMI.

Hell, being last to the party could work out because they're going to see what everyone else screwed up!!! HA
Yep. Plus all those Rams, Jeeps, Chargers/Challengers & Hellcats are highly profitable and paid for the EV platform development and will continue to for the foreseable future. One hand has to pay for the other.

I don't think his disregarding it but merely saying that they really don't exist quite yet. It would be awesome if GM had enough capacity to put out 100 a week but we don't even know when that will happen.
This^ The Hummer is cool, but in terms of HiPo Offroad performance trucks, GM was asleep at the wheel for 10 years.......Hummer changes that, but let's see how it sells before declaring it a winner.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
You don't have to pay $100,000.....the W/T starts at the same price as an ICE Silverado: around $40,000.00. However.....if you want the fancy one with all the bells and whistles, then yes, it's gonna cost more.
You didn’t read what I wrote, I don’t want one with a black front end, and so far that’s all I’ve seen other than the RST that costs $100,000!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You didn’t read what I wrote, I don’t want one with a black front end, and so far that’s all I’ve seen other than the RST that costs $100,000!
Value is relative but at 100K the thing is easily 25K over priced. But yes they all brag up the affordable 40K version that will be fleets only mostly.

Reactions: Ambalanche

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,488 Posts
The Hummer is cool, but in terms of HiPo Offroad performance trucks, GM was asleep at the wheel for 10 years.......Hummer changes that, but let's see how it sells before declaring it a winner.
Well, Hummer EV Pickup sales went from "zero, zero, zero" in Q1 2021 to 99 units sold in Q1 2022. ;)

Font Material property Circle Parallel Number

61 - 80 of 97 Posts