GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I remember that no more crappy cars coment, and I’ve seen plenty of crappy cars since then from GM! I feel like they have completely let Chevrolet rot, save for the ‘Vette and the full size SUV’S. Chevrolet used to be the leader that everybody else copied, yet now they copy everybody else. I do have high hopes from what I have seen coming on the electrical front, but they can’t price everything out of the stratosphere like they have been doing! I would love to have a new Avalan/err Silverado EV but I’m not spending $100,000 on it! And I don’t want one with the black front end! Here’s hoping!

·
Registered
547 Posts
And then they delivered the "Bolt" Yep, the Bolt ain't "Crappy", Just it's Battery, Space and Range.
Not particularly a fan of the styling but the battery is a result of an LG quality issue and they are footing most of the bill for the recall.
Range is good for the time period it was introduced and still competitive for the price. As for space, the EUV addresses most of that concern. For a compact, pretty decent.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Both well said! One thing to add - where is FCA's Ultium? Nowhere to be seen and part of why they are now part of Stellantis. While GM was gathering acorns to make it through the winter, FCA was busy eating everything they had. FCA basically sacrificed its future for today.
I don't honestly see Dodge surviving much longer. Once all the straight-line fan boys get their fix, what does Dodge really offer? Ram will stay around because, well, TRUCKS, but only if they innovate like we know they're capable of....like they used to. Chrysler will most likely be a way to sell Citroens or Peugeots and therefore save money on development. Chrysler as we know it is not going to last. The 300 and Charger/Challenger are almost 20 years old with basic designs from MB that are 20+ years old. Stellantis gave all of its companies a time frame to lay out plans for EV's and if they can't pull their own weight, they will be cut.

·
Registered
626 Posts
And then they delivered the "Bolt" Yep, the Bolt ain't "Crappy", Just it's Battery, Space and Range.
259 miles of range isn't crappy, it's towards the upper end for affordable EV's. It surpasses the range on Porsche Taycan, Audi Q-4 eTron, Volvo C40 Recharge, Jaguar I-pace, Kia Niro, Nissan Leaf S-Plus and gets one mile less than the VW ID4 Pro. The interior is light years better than the original version. Sure, it's not a Tardis, but for a commute car or second car, it's pretty good. It's also very fun to drive, according to Car and Driver. I blame LG for the battery. The QC was on LG. Yes, GM dragged their feet on the recall (otherwise I'd still have mine) but I can't 100% blame them for a supplier defect. Look at all the KIA's and Hyundai EV's that are still having battery issues and/or catching on fire.....Hyundai hasn't solved that issue yet and no one is ripping them apart, just GM.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I remember that no more crappy cars coment, and I’ve seen plenty of crappy cars since then from GM! I feel like they have completely let Chevrolet rot, save for the ‘Vette and the full size SUV’S. Chevrolet used to be the leader that everybody else copied, yet now they copy everybody else. I do have high hopes from what I have seen coming on the electrical front, but they can’t price everything out of the stratosphere like they have been doing! I would love to have a new Avalan/err Silverado EV but I’m not spending $100,000 on it! And I don’t want one with the black front end! Here’s hoping!
You don't have to pay $100,000.....the W/T starts at the same price as an ICE Silverado: around $40,000.00. However.....if you want the fancy one with all the bells and whistles, then yes, it's gonna cost more.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Has anyone seen one yet? There are several Raptors in my neck of the woods and at least 5 TRX's.
Mary has hers. It may be a slow rollout but there are a few hundred in the wild and ever increasing.

·
Registered
20,733 Posts
I don't honestly see Dodge surviving much longer. Once all the straight-line fan boys get their fix, what does Dodge really offer? Ram will stay around because, well, TRUCKS, but only if they innovate like we know they're capable of....like they used to. Chrysler will most likely be a way to sell Citroens or Peugeots and therefore save money on development. Chrysler as we know it is not going to last. The 300 and Charger/Challenger are almost 20 years old with basic designs from MB that are 20+ years old. Stellantis gave all of its companies a time frame to lay out plans for EV's and if they can't pull their own weight, they will be cut.
Yeah, I don't see the Dodge Hornet they are cooking up to attract the same crowd that is going for a Challenger/Charger. But, maybe it'll attract a different type of enthusiast. Do they have something else in the works directly replacing the Challenger/Charger? I'm sure the Hornet's performance specs will be really good and handle a lot better, the camouflaged spy shots I've seen leave me thinking "Euro performance" vs. the Challenger/Charger that scream "American performance".

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, I don't see the Dodge Hornet they are cooking up to attract the same crowd that is going for a Challenger/Charger. But, maybe it'll attract a different type of enthusiast. Do they have something else in the works directly replacing the Challenger/Charger? I'm sure the Hornet's performance specs will be really good and handle a lot better, the camouflaged spy shots I've seen leave me thinking "Euro performance" vs. the Challenger/Charger that scream "American performance".
Neither do I. It's too CUV-y to take the mantle from the Challenger/Charger, it looks more like a low-end Macan competitor which is rather lofty goal for the company that brought us this:

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Plant

True, it was fun, it was fast but the build quality was right up there with Yugo.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I think GM will be pretty good at doing the tough logistics all the upscaling EV production required, that is being legislate in by big brother Government whether we like it or not, that's what the legislators want rules and regulations automakers have no choice than other to abide by. Certainly a smart move to manufacture your computer chips at home as well. GM have cut a lot of its dead wood out as well which won't be such a drag on future profitability make GM more resilient to any future knocks that might come hit the auto industry in the future.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
How is she 60 without grey hair? However, she has done a great job turning around GM to focus on being an Engineering firm first.
LOL l would have thought Mary would have been bald no hair left with all the stress the auto industry has had to endure over the last few years all that has been going on.

Nice to see GM turn in a nice healthy profit in Q1 in pretty good shape, when others on the other side of the track have not.

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
LOL l would have thought Mary would have been bald no hair left with all the stress the auto industry has had to endure over the last few years all that has been going on.

Nice to see GM turn in a nice healthy profit in Q1 in pretty good shape, when others on the other side of the track have not.
Their relative unprofitablity per unit relative to Tesla is a function of the massive Capital investment stemming from tilt to EV, legacy business and relative bad business supply environment.

However, their free cash flow situation is very poor compared to Tesla and they do need to quickly increase revenue from subscription services, AKA, super cruise, instead of dishing it out like it’s Truffles, it needs to be available across most of the brands for anyone willing to subscribe , and have upgrade capabilities built in for both software and components integration.

There is still, “we shall become a technology combaneee” .. learning curve there… perhaps the CPU shortage.. no excuse why the entire Buick, Cadillac, GMC line ups do not have these capabilities built in for a fee and all Chevrolet models above LS

However, if they can get the SUV, pick ups plants humming at full speed, without all the deliberate economic saboteurs in their way, it seems that they may be on the correct path.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I agree and disagree here.
In the new automotive world order, being able to sell and market the "battery technology" will be as important as the car itself.
There is a reason why Lucid markets their cars as having the smallest and lightest electric motors on the market and their "race tested." There's a reason why Tesla focuses on their upcoming battery configuration and chemistry.
I'm not so sure. Honestly, 90% of people have no idea what is under the hood. They can try and brand the EV Drive + Batteries, but I don't think it will stick. I think batteries + EV Drive motors will become appliance like - they are all too similar. I think the Product + the Brand will matter far more.

I'd suggest the 1000HP Hummer already excels in this playground.
Its barely got hare on its lip. You can count on your hands how many are actually in consumers driveways. Raptor's been tearring it up for what, 10(?) years?

Both well said! One thing to add - where is FCA's Ultium? Nowhere to be seen and part of why they are now part of Stellantis. While GM was gathering acorns to make it through the winter, FCA was busy eating everything they had. FCA basically sacrificed its future for today.
Nonsense, they have 4 dedicated EV platforms that are going to debut next year. Once again, they have a plug in hybrid system, when GM doesn't. Stellantis will have both plug hybrid and EV, not a bad spot to be in.

Yeah, I don't see the Dodge Hornet they are cooking up to attract the same crowd that is going for a Challenger/Charger. But, maybe it'll attract a different type of enthusiast. Do they have something else in the works directly replacing the Challenger/Charger?
The Hornet is based off the Alfa Tonale, it will be completely fine for the segment. The Challenger/Charger factory is getting re-tooled for the next Gen as we speak, they have the Hurricane and Firefly engines, plus the 4XE plug in hyrbrid - they'll be completely fine.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
22,012 Posts
Forgot about that gem...............

First that came to my mind was Gen II Cruze (where MB bragged about how cheap it was going to be) and the Silverado/Sierra Interior, no excuse the Tahoe/Yukon had a decent interior before the T1XX even came out.

Let me think of others.............
🤔

41 - 60 of 97 Posts