GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have any experience with Pulstar spark plugs? If so what type of performance or fuel economy changes have you noticed? Are they worth it?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, not encouraging. I saw an ad in this month's Popular Science and wondered if any of the claims are true.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
I've seen the discussion on other boards.
From the limited use I've seen so far, it appears the main performance advantage is accelerating the seller's bottom line.

Now excuse me, I have to go put my Tornado on. 25% better MPG, here I come!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Spark plugs and magnetic field- fuel systems that improve fuel mileage! Users are getting 80mpg! Just think of GM or Ford or Mercedes,... saying to themselves "Oh, instead of just buying these and installing them on our vehicles, we'll spend hundreds of millions of dollars on development of our own designs! We'll find some other way (maybe a hybrid) to get better performance!". Meanwhile those auto mfrs in Asia and Europe are saying the same thing. They didn't adopt them because they don't work.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen the discussion on other boards.
From the limited use I've seen so far, it appears the main performance advantage is accelerating the seller's bottom line.

Now excuse me, I have to go put my Tornado on. 25% better MPG, here I come!
Talking about this with my wife this morning I mentioned the Tornado too. I laughed at myself for thinking these things would work. I know if a twisted piece of aluminum or a fancy spark plug would give you better mileage, the manufacturers would have already done it. Duh.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Talking about this with my wife this morning I mentioned the Tornado too. I laughed at myself for thinking these things would work. I know if a twisted piece of aluminum or a fancy spark plug would give you better mileage, the manufacturers would have already done it. Duh.
this might be generally true, but thats not true for everything. replacing the stock exhaust can give you power and mileage gains for example. i think they tend to compromise. they use something that has reasonable cost, performance, among other things. not exactly the best, not exactly the worst.

i think when i get new plugs im gonna a set of e3 plugs.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
this might be generally true, but thats not true for everything. replacing the stock exhaust can give you power and mileage gains for example. i think they tend to compromise. they use something that has reasonable cost, performance, among other things. not exactly the best, not exactly the worst.

i think when i get new plugs im gonna a set of e3 plugs.
I tend to agree. Actually way back when...my 95 Dodge Intrepid had a plastic, Tornado like thing in the intake. It had to be OEM because it was molded into the air box. It looked like it did more to restrict airflow than anything else....perhaps it's one of the simple reasons why they can have the same engine make more power in other models....might be a file and rank thing to lower the power from the more expensive models.... But I dunno lol.

I do think these plugs are a crock of crap though. Last ad I say was something about being a million watts or something....and what specifically upgrades the power from the coil to this plug that transforms the voltage so much?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Someone should tell Lutz about this....GM's fleet could meet what CAFE dictates and we can all have V8s

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say that, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and it appears from lack of any knowledge just opinions one needs to know the premise of the ad claims. Being an engineer it is not rocket science how the plug could indeed produce 5 million watts. But the proof is really trying and putting on the dyno. I do know combustion and to answer why OE doesn't put better parts in is that most parts are put on a bid and the lowest guy wins. I have tried everything from platinum, iridium, double platinum, E3 and some Japanese plugs marketed only for Japan to test them. Still all 50 watts. These guys could have something. I plan to try. I offer this only to show it could be possible from an engineering perspective.
The formula for power is:
P=I*V
P is Power in watts
I is current in amperes
V is voltage

measured current is 500 A
Breakdown voltage is 10kV, so:
P = 500 * 10,000 = 5,000,000 watts or 5 MW

the circuitry would have to place the capacitor directly attached to the center wire in parallel with the coil having minimal inductance to the spark gap. The capacitor could store energy during the rise time of the coil (10’s of μs) and discharge in less than 1ns which peaks the current and the power of the breakdown spark

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
In theory a larger flame kernel, higher rise in cylinder pressure and better combustion could create more power if:
Impedance is the square root of inductance divided by capacitance, you would have 10 nanohenries and 30 Pico farads
So:
Z=ÖL/C = 18.2ohms Ö 10nH/30pF
So assuming the spark occurs at 20kV then:
Current (I) = V/R
1098 amps = 20kV/18.2 ohms
Since the voltage is falling when the current is rising there is a crossing point about ½ way
So then V=10kV and I=500A so peak power is 5MW
If they do not use any current sensing device that could affect the spark.
Then the measurement could use a B-Dot sensor that measures the B field of the arc itself
Yes, I know how to accurately measure 1000A rising in 1nS
Are you with me now? All sparks and plugs do not make the same power. I have tested every brand available. I now plan to try these.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts