·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSA plots U.S. re-entry with DS brand
Luca Ciferri and Bruce Gain
Automotive News Europe
October 4, 2014

PARIS -- PSA/Peugeot-Citroen could re-enter the U.S. early in the next decade with its DS upscale brand.

The plan to return to the U.S. is part of a global strategy to sell DS vehicles in 200 large cities worldwide after 2020. Of those, 30 would be in North America including 20 in the U.S., DS CEO Yves Bonnefont told Automotive News Europe.

“We want to make DS a global premium brand, and you cannot be global without the U.S.,” Bonnefont said in an interview at the Paris auto show.

Peugeot pulled out of the U.S. in 1991.

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Another auto executive on crack. How many actually competent car companies have withdrawn from North America in the last few years? Oh well. At least they are going to take a plunge into a marketplace with lots of feeble competition - premium automobiles. Somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Another auto executive on crack. How many actually competent car companies have withdrawn from North America in the last few years? Oh well. At least they are going to take a plunge into a marketplace with lots of feeble competition - premium automobiles. Somewhere a village is missing its idiot.
Honours are fairly even between Europe and North America - Cadillac have been withdrawn a couple of times and Chevrolet is withdrawing now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All we need, another global luxury brand hot on the tail of Infiniti, Lexus, Hyundai/Genesis...who wants to sell me a cool French car for under $30k??

Now you're making me miss my Renault Alliance...

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Will we get the Hydropneumatic suspension?

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Replace 'North America' with 'Europe' and I would swear you're talking about Cadillac. ;)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If the DS can succeed here, it will encourage other manufacturers to raise the level.

Personally, I'd rather have a Citroen DS5. Lots of interior space, all wheel drive, diesel hybrid and plug-in.

Take the time to think about the gas mileage. An midsized AWD car that takes only 3.3 L / 100 km (71 mpg). In France, this car sells for around $ 39,500 (USA).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I worked on a surveying crew in the summer of 1967. I rode to and from the various job sites in my boss' Citroen DS. What a fantastically comfortable and smooth riding car. Far superior to any N.A. car of the time. They unfortunately were unable to handle our severe winters and disappeared from the Canadian market shortly thereafter. It would be neat to see them available again.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I worked on a surveying crew in the summer of 1967. I rode to and from the various job sites in my boss' Citroen DS. What a fantastically comfortable and smooth riding car. Far superior to any N.A. car of the time. They unfortunately were unable to handle our severe winters and disappeared from the Canadian market shortly thereafter. It would be neat to see them available again.
Superior to any European car of the time as well.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
This is a wise move but one that will need to be done carefully. Product, marketing, and management have to be stellar.

I follow the auto industry fairly closely, but I swear I had no idea PSA had an upscale brand called DS.
It was announced only weeks ago. Current DS cars are premium Citroens, sort of like GMC Denalis (but with even more differentiation. Now they announced a plan to make DS its own separate brand that will be modeled after Audi.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I prefer Peugeot's styling over Citroën and its DS cars, personally...

With Citroën's designs, their bad ones give off a childish and cartoony vibe...

...while others, like thier Metropolis and Numero 9 concepts, were much better and more premium-looking, but they (to me) give off a vibe like they should be on the Peugeot side of the family...

I would really like to see a resurgence of distinctly French and American cars. The homogenization of luxury car design towards a German design aesthetic leaves me bored with non-German cars. Why would I want a Germanized-looking Cadillac, when I can just get a genuine BMW or Audi instead?

Cadillac CAN do it, but for some reason, they don't.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
I like them also, but mostly the Citroen and DS vehicles. I'm really excited for DS, but also trying to be realistic. DS is entering such a crowded segment. The following are just a list that I can think of when it comes to luxury brands trying to find greater success or are just getting started:

Alfa Romeo
Cadillac
DS
Hyundai (premium)
Kia (premium)
Infiniti
Jaguar
Lincoln
Maserati
Porsche
Volvo

DS, like many of these others, has to set itself apart.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Sfbreh I'm with you, those new Peugeot designs are SOOOOOOOOO nice!!!! The new 508 just shown at Paris, with the all LED head and taillights is just amazeballs!!!! :D :D :D :D :D I wish both Peugeot and DS would return to this country.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts