GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a push by the US Department of Energy (DOE) to make plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) cost competitive with other cars by 2014, Ford has delivered a plug-in hybrid electric flex-fuel Escape to the DOE to join its test fleet of other PHEVs currently undergoing research and testing.

The vehicle is equipped with a 10 kilowatt lithium ion battery that can take it up to 30 miles at speeds under 40 mph before needing to fire up its fuel-fed hybrid-electric engine. After that, the hybrid-electric engine kicks in and can deliver a fuel economy of 88 mpg in the city and 50 mpg on the highway when using E85 (85% ethanol/15% gasoline blend).

continue at the link

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well, ignoring all the rest, this sure as heck would usefully cut foreign oil dependency.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
this sounds exactly like a concept I expect to see Ford intro at Chicago or NYC -- just not in an Escape ;) (or Focus!)
whiteSpace !

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Actually,why not do the Mariner, period.

Consider the realistic volume involved here and ....

Dollars to doughnuts more Mercury people have a garage than Ford people percentage wise.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Actually,why not do the Mariner, period.

Consider the realistic volume involved here
this ^ part...
YES!

ergo, my hope for the Merc-Only White-Space Plug-In

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Also, the Focus is a fun car to drive! I rented one and loved the height of the seating and the headroom. It drove well and could very easily satisfy many. FORD is looking better and better!

:drive:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
thats great, but where are the e85 pumps?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
That's obviously the gasoline equivalent mpg, but impressive none the less!

I can assure you that the 88 mpg number is not the gasoline equivalent. When I run E85 in the Impala, mid 20's fuel economy figures translate to numbers well in excess of 100mpg for gasoline equivalent mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts