GM Inside News Forum banner

Project D Update: Chrysler could use Nissan, Fiat platforms

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Stéphane Dumas 
#1 ·
SOURCE: Motor Authority

Chrysler’s “product renaissance” is expected to bring many new models into the company’s fold, all designed to appeal to consumers changing tastes. Spearheading this will be ‘Project D’, Chrysler’s plan to create a new global mid-size platform that will underpin several new models and relaunch Chrysler back into public favor.

While it has long been thought that Chrysler will develop a brand new platform under Project D, which will replace the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring cars currently in production, according to Motor Trend this is just one option on the table. One of the more interesting routes Chrysler could take includes using the platform from another manufacturer, specifically Nissan or Fiat. Both the Nissan Altima and the Fiat Croma sit on mid-size platforms that Chrysler could use, and by adding Chrysler styling could achieve the same rewards as developing a new platform from scratch but without the huge costs.
MORE HERE

#2 · (Edited)
God knows that Chrysler needs to get the Sebring and Avenger replacements right - its a make or break move.

However, the article is either inaccurate - or there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know about:

Both the Nissan Altima and the Fiat Croma sit on mid-size platforms that Chrysler could use, and by adding Chrysler styling could achieve the same rewards as developing a new platform from scratch but without the huge costs.
Unless the divorce between GM and Fiat specified something different, then there is NO WAY that Fiat could lend Chrysler the Croma platform since the Croma is based on the Epsilon I platform.

Did GM allow Fiat to continue to use the platform after the first generation Croma ran its course or would they allow it to use the platform along with other partners?

However, I dont think there would be anything wrong with Chrysler designing or developing a Sebring/Avenger replacement alongside Chrysler. This would be a smart move. It would allow Fiat to get a "home-grown" replacement for the Croma (and possibly the Thesis?) without going back to GM. And it would allow Chrysler to have development partner to split costs, and in return, Chrysler could build Fiat-specified products at hom ein US factories to suit their partner.

It could work -- but definitely dont think it would allow the Epsilon I platform to be used by Chrysler in this instance.

#3 ·
Using existing platforms from other automakers always seems a bit dubious to me, but it is definitely the way to go if Chrysler plans on being around in a few years. Nissan's mid-size platform is lightyears ahead of the current Avenger/Sebring's platform, anyhow.

#6 ·
I think Fiat is the ticket because if they come back to N.A., they will have over capacity and will need someone to fill it; plus it will allow Chrysler to do a 4 to 6 year run to develop something in house to sell possibly globally.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd expect them to use a Nissan platform IMO. It's already been confirmed that the next Nissan titan will have a Hemi V8 and Chrysler will be using the Nissan Versa platform for their B segment car project. Therefore I would not be too suprised if Chrysler decided to use a Nissan platform of some kind for project D

Also selling the EP1 platform is a tempting idea but I highly doubt GM would ever agree to do something like that especially since most of their EP1 cars will still be around when the EPII Lacrosse comes out

#13 ·
You know, that reminds me of the "dream team" scenario put forward back in the 1980s by Lee Iacocca.

He called it "Global Motors", and it was a three way alliance between Chrysler, Nissan and Volkswagen.

Maybe, in the fullness of time, the "Global Motors" alliance will be quite similar . . . only with Renault, Nissan and Chrysler?

#10 ·
Dodge will be building the Nissan Titan starting in 2010 (based on the new Ram of course), that's how Nissan can say they have a HD truck coming to market soon. That way Nissan doesn't have to spend money on truck R&D. In return Nissan is going to build a small car for chrysler.

What's unclear is if this will just be one model or if chrysler is going to cancel their entire project D plans in favor of the Nissan platform.

#12 ·
If nissen get the task, Smyrna TN and Canton MS will be hustling and possibly a Chrysler plant too.
I would also expect nissen, flush with cash, to grab some equity or even make an offer for the whole enchilada! I figure cerberus has tripped up so much lately that they are on the beaten paths of Bear Sterns and Lehman Bros. cerberus has been snakebitten by GMAC, Chrysler Credit and Chrysler auto. I believe they have a few other boners out there with suppliers and such, so that would make a sale of Chrysler auto very attractive to them right now.

#17 ·
I rather see Chrysler use Fiat platforms instead of Nissans. Not to mention but I rather see Chrysler use Fiat as a small car partner instead of the Chinese. Unfornunatly I think neither of these things are going to happen....such a shame Chrysler doesn't have the money or time to develop their own cars:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.