GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, we posted spy pics of the Chevy Spark replacement on GMI. Below is an article from another source outlining some of the details of the vehicle. However, the article also discusses "Project Amber", a low cost platform GM is working on for markets like Brazil and India. The article is dated April 2014, which makes it "old news" -- but one that seemingly wasn't reported on GMI. Below is the most recent article with some of the links embedded in the story.

Next gen 2016 Chevrolet Spark (Beat) revealed in spyshots – Spied
Posted on Feb 7 2015

Indian model would be based on a different platform.

The hatchback seen here is reportedly the next generation Chevrolet Spark (Chevrolet Beat), which will be unveiled later this year. Launched in early 2010, the Spark will be heading for a full model changeover in markets like the United States and Korea. For the Indian market though, GM has different plans.

The new Spark seen here is based on the same platform as the new Opel Karl/Vauxhall Viva, which will be shown for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show next month. For the Indian market though, GM does not plan on bringing this platform, but plans to launch the ‘Amber’ platform developed mainly for emerging markets like Brazil and India.

The Amber platform will spawn a small hatchback, which could replace the Chevrolet Beat in India. However, the Amber-based hatch is not expected to launch before 2017 in India, and until then, GM India will be relying on products like the Beat and Sail to drive volumes in the hatchback segment.

CONTINUE AT INDIANAUTOSBLOG.COM

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Never heard of Project Amber unless it's being developed under another name, or is so "hush-hush" at GM that hardly anyone is talking about it. GM gets good volume from their products in Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, India, and other emerging markets. What's more, as projects like GM's Baojun brand ramp up steam in China, it becomes even more apparent that a good set of a contemporary, inexpensive architecture is important to keep metal moving in such markets.

As an addendum to my italicized comments above the article, it should also be noted that the current Chevy Spark in India is the former Daewoo Matiz that has been slightly updated from the originally updated model that was sold in Europe.

Report – GM working on emerging-markets low cost car codenamed ‘Amber’ said:
The need for this entry-level car arises mainly because GM will cease production of models such as Celta and Classic (two entry-level cars from the American manufacturer for the South American market) over the next 3-4 years. The company cannot afford to lose out on the entry-level car segment in South America, and hence the need for a modern, yet low-cost, small car arises.

Also, it seems that whatever fruit is borne from Project Amber may eventually spawn a number of products, not only for India, but possibly for China. The Chevy Sail "3" sedan is already on sale in China and the updated version below may be sold at some point in India.

Guangzhou Live – Chevrolet Sail 3 Sedan (Next gen Chevrolet Sail) said:
The Sail twins in India recently got minor updates, and hence the new generation Sail 3 is not expected to launch in the country at least for next year or two. In fact, it remains to be seen whether GM India even launches the new generation model, as cars like the Sail and Enjoy are perceived as ‘Made in China’ cars in India, and suffer from poor brand value.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
^^ that sail is a nice looking low cost car ^^

to me it makes sense to have a "low cost" and premium version of these size chassis
I just hope that the low cost one gets the same crash attention as the premium ones and are NOT "some cobbled together death trap" (like I believe that Datsun was)

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
^^ that sail is a nice looking low cost car ^^
+1, I agree. It make the Dacia Logan old.

to me it makes sense to have a "low cost" and premium version of these size chassis
I just hope that the low cost one gets the same crash attention as the premium ones and are NOT "some cobbled together death trap" (like I believe that Datsun was)
The Tata Nano was another one death trap, a different one, it was a "flamming Pinto" variety.

Edit: I wonder if GM might do a joint-venture with another carmaker for this car to amortize the developments costs of that car?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I was afraid I was about to read GM was going to use the W platform and Quad 4 in India....

Sail certainly is inoffensive enough. Good luck, GM.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I was afraid I was about to read GM was going to use the W platform and Quad 4 in India....

Sail certainly is inoffensive enough. Good luck, GM.
I mean they could dig up the tooling for old Saturns, the J bodies, W bodies, N bodies, the Quad 4, Iron Duke, 3T40, the Crossover Sport Vans...

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Never heard of Project Amber unless it's being developed under another name, or is so "hush-hush" at GM that hardly anyone is talking about it. GM gets good volume from their products in Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, India, and other emerging markets. What's more, as projects like GM's Baojun brand ramp up steam in China, it becomes even more apparent that a good set of a contemporary, inexpensive architecture is important to keep metal moving in such markets.

As an addendum to my italicized comments above the article, it should also be noted that the current Chevy Spark in India is the former Daewoo Matiz that has been slightly updated from the originally updated model that was sold in Europe.

Also, it seems that whatever fruit is borne from Project Amber may eventually spawn a number of products, not only for India, but possibly for China. The Chevy Sail "3" sedan is already on sale in China and the updated version below may be sold at some point in India.
"I want one" said nobody in a developed country, ever.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great greenhouse for all around visibility in high density urban driving and parking .The interior appears to open up , accented by lighter colors , which again creates a more spacious feel . The key for GM in this market segment is the quality of the engine/drivetrain and the quality of it's components , materials . There is probably no lack of cheapie small cars in Asia or South America , but a small vehicle that is bullet proof reliable and easy to service , is NOT common to the breed !! I suggest the platform include a hatch and a truck type flat bed model , is recommended !!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Of course the Sail looks good. Designers were told they had no budget to work with, so they started with current gen Cruze and cheapened it out as told to do. From the grill to the dash, it's all Cruze re-worked.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
I have to laugh - how is it you can construct a platform that is for "low-cost" products that is different from other platforms. Both use steel and are of nearly the same size. What is so different in the platform that would make it CHEAPER to build? I'd contend that prudent engineering would have ONE small car platform that can be adjusted in wheelbase, but it would be consistent and share as much as possible in components. Seriously, if you take a look at unibody construction, you'd not have anything called a "low-cost" platform for ONE product. That is inconsistent with economies of scale - you'd have ONE small car platform that has variability in sizing which substitutes one stamping for another, but the overall engineering is the same across all products that use that platform.

I think this proves that a low-cost platform is a joke - and further evidence that Total Recall Motors is one of the least competent manufacturers on the planet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts