GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have these in correct chronological order. Any comments on the progression of the face of Chevrolet?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The Impala belongs there too. I know it's odd looking, but there's no way that grill is an accident (imagine it with the bowtie a few inches lower).

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool! Not sure the Volt is part of the evolution though... I suspect that it will be a one-off, and that other Chevrolets will continue along the Cruze theme.
I hope you are wrong. I think the Cruze's is a little goofy. The cross bar is too high and the hood is cut into. The Volt is much sleeker.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I can see the lines of the current grill in the 1972 models, so i think they appeared a lot earlier.

1972 Impala:

2008 Impala:

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I, personally, think the first Avalanche started the current grill design:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The Avalanche was just a more edgy version of the Chevy Truck theme of the split grille seen on the C/K 1500 for a number of years. It was also on the S-10 and later Colorado.

And even that was a continuation of the theme started even earlier.

I think the Venture was the first to bring it out of the trucks onto the cars in the modern era and then the Impala had a version of it, sort of. The Malibu is the epitome on the cars and the Tahoe is just wonderful looking. But the current Silverado and the upcoming Cruze screw it up, I think.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
well, the chevy trucks have had a split grille since the 80s (at least the upscale ones did, then in 99 the silverados were all split grille). this is and 89:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
you beat me to it.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The Avalanche was just a more edgy version of the Chevy Truck theme of the split grille seen on the C/K 1500 for a number of years. It was also on the S-10 and later Colorado.

And even that was a continuation of the theme started even earlier.

*snip*

I think the Venture was the first to bring it out of the trucks onto the cars in the modern era and then the Impala had a version of it, sort of. The Malibu is the epitome on the cars and the Tahoe is just wonderful looking. But the current Silverado and the upcoming Cruze screw it up, I think.
Its the edginess he is referring to though right? The headlights that kinda stretch across to the side and swoop back towards the windshield. That theme pretty much started with the Avalanche.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I would actually look to the Cobalt to see where the current grille design was derived from. Body color bar across the grille with the Chevy badge in the center.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
and the de-progression of the Chevy grill

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Yeah, through the '80s and part of the '90s it was hard to have a split headlight grille on the trucks since everything had the same headlights! Was that like a federal mandate that there was only like 2 or 3 sizes of bulbs during that time? I mean nobody had anything different. Or was it some sort of gentleman's agreement that everyone would adhere to a standard? I know there was two sizes for sure, maybe a third, but that was it! Weird

1 - 20 of 31 Posts