GM Inside News Forum banner

Programming PassKey 3+

132K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  aaranpeters 
#1 · (Edited)
After the wife lost her key, I bought a PK3+ transponder key off eBay for my '06 Impala SS, got it cut at a local locksmith and tried (unsuccessfully) to program it myself. It came with it's own instructions, which didn't jive with the OEM instructions from the manual. I've tried every way multiple times, and now have "service theft deterrent system" on the DIC constantly...probably from the multiple unsuccessful attempts (wonder if a disco of the battery cable will clear this?).

I'm thinking of takin it to the dealer and playin' dumb...or calling AAA and telling them that i lost my only key and seeing if they can make & train a new one on site (free).

Ideas?

I first tried the programming instructions from the manual: put in original key, start vehicle, turn vehicle off, insert new key (within couple seconds), wait for light to DEluminate. This did not work, and i tried multiple times.

The instructions that came with the key gave 2 ways to do it: 1st way seems as if it's to program the new "Master" key if you have no others....put it in, turn to "on", let go until security light DEluminates (approx 10 min), then do again x2...after the light DEluminated the third time, insert another key (if necessary) within 20 seconds; when light turns off the second key is programmed.

The 2nd part of the instructions state that to add the new key as an additional key, you need 2 master keys. Put one in, start the engine, turn it off, insert 2nd master key, turn to on, wait 5 seconds for light to turn off, take out, insert "new" key, turn to on, wait for light off...done.

Neither of these worked.

BTW - the key was labeled and packaged as Strattec Security Corp. GM Chevy PK3+ 93 GR #692931 11/18/05 It is a GM Official Licensed Product. The key has a + inside a circle, like the original i have, but it's smaller in size. The seller (who works for AAA locksmith) says that the size difference indicates the newest transponder technology.

Questions: Will pulling the battery cable clear my DIC message?

If not, will the dealer try to charge me to fix this error code?

If i tell the dealer this error came up, say, after pulling the battery cable for another reason, and now one of my keys no longer works, will (should) they reprogram it for free?

Thanks for your responses.

See less See more
#27 ·
OK so I know you have answered most of this already, but here is my question. I have a 2005 Grand Prix. I lost my only key. I bought two PK3 keys from dealer and had them cut by vin number (They fit). I have tried the 30 minute relearn program thing many times and it does not work for me. Here is what I see that may be helpfull for you to help me. I have no Pass Key tell-tail on the dash. I have info on the DIC saying basically the theft deterrent has kept the car from starting. That display does not change and stays lit as long as the key in in the on position. I do have a check engine light on from my cat converter issue but that was on before I lost the key. I had no issues starting the car before the key was lost.The process I am using is this.
Turn key to on,
wait 12 minutes
turn key off (leave it in)
Turn key to on,
wait 12 minutes,
turn key to on position
wait 12 minutes
turn to try and turn over.
It has not worked.

Again no indicator lights turn on or blink or anything just the normal break, abs, oil, etc... nothing regarding security.

I hope someone can help with this. The dealer wants to charge me $165 to program them after I tow it in.

#30 ·
Correct procedure for your 2005 Pontiac Gran Prix.
30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

•The PASS-Key III (PK3) keys
•The BCM
•The PCM
Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49).

If replacing a BCM with an GM SPO replacement part, perform the procedure to setup a new BCM prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.

 1. With a master PASS-Key III key, rotate the ignition to the CRANK position.
 2. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
 3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
 4. Repeat steps 1–3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

 5. With a master PASS-Key III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.
 6. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

#35 ·
1) Insert the "Original" (working) Key.
2) Turn the Ignition to ON (RUN), but do NOT start the engine. Turn the Ignition OFF and remove the key.
3) Within 15 seconds insert the new "duplicate" key made from Locksmith or dealer and turn the Ignition to the ON position. The Security indicator should light for about 2 seconds to indicate that the new key has been programmed.
4) The new key should now be able to start and run the van.

#36 ·
Insert the "Original" (working) Key.Turn the Ignition to ON, but do not start the engine.Turn the Ignition OFF and remove the key. Within 15 seconds insert the new "duplicate" key and turn the Ignition to the ON position. The Security indicator should light for about 2 seconds to indicate that the new key has been programmed. The new key should now be able to start and run the van.If this not works contact good Locksmith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.