GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine is looking for a reliable daily driver, and while looking around yesterday we happened upon a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera sedan, blue, with (get this) 33,xxx miles on it. It's also right in his price range.

Everything seemed to work perfectly (and the car, as you might imagine, looks like it's in pristine condition). I know my parents loved their wagon, but does anyone else have experience with them? Bad? Good? Amazing?

Gotta be one of my favorite cars ever made.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So a friend of mine is looking for a reliable daily driver, and while looking around yesterday we happened upon a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera sedan, blue, with (get this) 33,xxx miles on it. It's also right in his price range.

Everything seemed to work perfectly (and the car, as you might imagine, looks like it's in pristine condition). I know my parents loved their wagon, but does anyone else have experience with them? Bad? Good? Amazing?

Gotta be one of my favorite cars ever made.
I drove a 1991 Ciera for the last 9 years and pushed it passed 220k miles with not a lick of powertrain trouble. I had to replace the water pump, heater core, then the balancer because of age, window motors began to die because of age. Other than that...I could run the engine hard and as long as it got it's maintenance...no troubles whatsoever. However, my 91 had the 3300 90deg buick V6. The 1996 your friend is looking at has the 3100 60deg V6. The only thing I am aware of on those engines may be the lower intake gasket issues. Either way, great mileage...good acceleration with v6 for the 3000lb car.

I'm sure others may have some feedback as well...but remember this...there are tons of these cars around and most parts are cheap if they break!

I would continue to use my 1991 for thousand mile storm chases until late April when an un-insured driver pulled out in front of my dad and hit the other driver in the left rear at 40 mph. Snapped the other guys rear axle and spun him completely around. Funny thing was, my dad still drove the Ciera 9 miles home afterwards...but it will be a long term project to make legally road worthy due to unibody frame issues from the accident.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Problems? The only one is that if your friend isn't 90, people seeing him getting out of the car will complement him on a great facelift!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
heh there definitely is an old man stigma with them but my Century is a great vehicle. 3100 has plenty of power and in this case the 4T60-e is in a pretty light duty application so the trans should last forever. They're comfortable, reliable, parts are cheap and readily available, and easy to work on. If the price is good I'd do it

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problems? The only one is that if your friend isn't 90, people seeing him getting out of the car will complement him on a great facelift!
lol, it even has the cargo rack on the trunk lid.:D

Now though you see them more often lifted to fit horrid 40" rims, and wearing equally disgusting colors of paint.:(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It was one of the most reliable cars of 1996. Of course the design was 14 years old. My Mom and Dad had both a 1992 Cutlass Ciera and a 1996 Buick Centry and both were good cars(Except the eingine in the 1992 was a bum one but that was a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder.) The 1996 had the 3.1 liter and the only thing to watch for is fuel injectors tend to go and so do intake manifold gaskets. I have a feeling fuel injectors are within the scope of the home mechanic provided you find the right one. Good luck. I wouldnt be afraid to look at it.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They were still around in 1996? :eek: :confused: I didn't know that. I thought you made a typo and it was suposed to be 1986, but I checked it out, that was the last year for them.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yes. Made from 1982 to 1996.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, he ended up not buying it. Probably for the better, I would like to see someone who'd take proper care of it get it (though I'm pretty sure they've sold it by now).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thats why I would hate to sell either of mine. I could just see what took 3 owners 28 years in the case of the Bonneville being destroyed in the matter of months if it got in the wrong hands. It and the 1985 Caprice have made it too far to have that happen now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts