GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes its so quiet you can't hear it coming. Silent but deadly it runs over children. The steal killer...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm not defending the Prius but this is yet another one of those cases where the person that made the mistake finds yet another excuse not to take responsibility for it.

If you're going to veer out onto the road, you always look regardless of noise or not. This is common sense.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not defending the Prius but this is yet another one of those cases where the person that made the mistake finds yet another excuse not to take responsibility for it.

If you're going to veer out onto the road, you always look regardless of noise or not. This is common sense.
Totaly agree. People need to use their heads.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
As much as you are suppose to pay attention as a pedestrian, you do rely on both your ears and your eyes.

For example when biking, you can't c0ck your head back to look into traffic to see if someone is coming, and unless you are a SERIOUS biker you don't have a rearview on the bike.

In that case no noise from a car is a danger to the biker.

As a driver you are responsible to keep your car in control at all times.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i hear that alot about hybrid cars. i work at a supermarket and im the manager on the frontend. the kids i have outside geting the carts will always tell me some moron in one of those hybrid cars almost hit me. im like what? then the kids will say they will see im pushing the cars i will look and the car will be almost ontop of me and i dont know it because i cant hear it.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
The story does not go into specifics, so we do not know who is to blame/who is more to blame.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As much as you are suppose to pay attention as a pedestrian, you do rely on both your ears and your eyes.

For example when biking, you can't c0ck your head back to look into traffic to see if someone is coming, and unless you are a SERIOUS biker you don't have a rearview on the bike.

In that case no noise from a car is a danger to the biker.

As a driver you are responsible to keep your car in control at all times.
Please explain how a driver on a motorcycle can turn around to look at traffic before changing lanes yet someone on a pedal bike can't so the same?

And obviously the driver had his car under control as the child did not get seriously hurt.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Please explain how a driver on a motorcycle can turn around to look at traffic before changing lanes yet someone on a pedal bike can't so the same?

And obviously the driver had his car under control as the child did not get seriously hurt.
Easy, it's a neighborhood and cars are not traveling fast. Also, I can't look behind me comfortably on a bike. Regardless of what you think is a good look, a quick glance plus an audible noise is INFINITELY better than just a quick glance with a silent death car behind you.

Besides, I think you all are missing the point, that regardless of what a pedestrian does or does not do the driver is AT FAULT. You hit someone, at any speed regardless of injury you are at fault. At least here in the State of Michigan.

The fact of the matter is the car should make noise, to alert the pedestrians so that they are aware of the driver. Otherwise it will be very nerve racking for the driver as he/she may be afraid that a pedestrian will inadvertently move in front of him/her.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Uhh shouldn't the driver be paying attention to what he's doing and not hit the kid?

Minimum noise level requirements may hold a valid argument but this just seems like another case of someone wanting to cash out.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
You can look 180 degrees behind you? You should be a millionaire!
No, however when you turn your head, your cone of vision follows, meaning you should be able to see anything that is directly behind you. Be it in your peripheral vision or not, one should be able to make out something as large as a vehicle.

I'm sorry, don't mean to sound bitchy.

I think that the guy should have looked and not relied on what seems to have been just hearing.

I will say in the person's defense though, it is true, they are extremely quiet. Every time my dad pulls into the driveway if I am not looking, I can just barely hear him. All I hear are the tires on the ground. (as much as I hate to admit it, he has a camry hybrid; in his defense, it is a company vehicle)

-Chase

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
No, however when you turn your head, your cone of vision follows, meaning you should be able to see anything that is directly behind you. Be it in your peripheral vision or not, one should be able to make out something as large as a vehicle.

I'm sorry, don't mean to sound bitchy.

I think that the guy should have looked and not relied on what seems to have been just hearing.

I will say in the person's defense though, it is true, they are extremely quiet. Every time my dad pulls into the driveway if I am not looking, I can just barely hear him. All I hear are the tires on the ground. (as much as I hate to admit it, he has a camry hybrid; in his defense, it is a company vehicle)

-Chase
See I wear glasses, and this I have ZERO peripheral vision. Unless you count the blurry crap I see out of the corner of my eyes as "vision"

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
wow, I did not think about that; in that case you are screwed when it comes to trying to see behind you. Good point.

-Chase

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'm not sure how many of you have driven Hybrids at length, but after a while, you realize that pedestrians don't look period, and the 20% that aren't listening to iPods do rely on their ears to warn them. The other 80 just believe that they will never be hit by a car no matter where they walk. Hearing the Hybrid is pretty much moot.

As for rmodys' point, the Escape Hybrid I drive occasionally has a high hood compared to the average car, and there could be a child there go unnoticed easily, if he walked in front of the car and I was watching cross traffic or something.

But...even then when stopped, every Hybrid makes a low buzzing hum from the Inverter. That might clue in a pedestrian. If most had a clue, that is.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts