GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on making the G8 tops on my list when the Caddy lease expires, but with gas hitting $4.00 and the G8 GT requiring premium fuel and only getting 15mpg per EPA, my days of wasting money to go from point A to B are over. How does everyone feel?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I sold a couple of months ago my daily driver, a '65 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 389 4bbl V-8. I got 13-17 mpg... and it had to be premium. I hated to sell it.. and lost ton of money on it. Now... I'm driving a burgandy '96 Buick LeSabre Limited sedan with a V-6 getting 18-27 mpg. It hurts a lot less now to fill her up. I'm afraid the days of cheap gas are over thanks to the Oil companies/ lobbyist/ and the growing car population in China and India.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been wondering about this myself. I will be coming from a 1998 Bonneville (non Supercharged).

The sticker in 1998 said 19/28/22 (city/hwy/combined).
http://www.mpgbuddy.com/vehicle-profile/8246/1998-pontiac-bonneville.html
The G8 GT looks like this: 15/24/18
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?id=25112
BUT, if you use the fueleconomy thing on my Bonneville, you get 17/26/20!
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?id=14401
Today, the cost to drive 25 miles is $4.78 vs $4.04.
I'm not about to pick a Civic or Aveo over the G8. Most likely I'd pick another large car.
So, I ask myself the question: am I bothered by a 2MPG loss for a kick-a$$ car? Most days my answer is: Hellllll no!
(Every now and again though I doubt myself).

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't consider a vehicles mileage when looking at a car. I still don't know anyone in my family or close friends who does and some of us drive 40k+ a year.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
You can still put 87 in it- I don't think it hurts it, does it?
The G8 V8 and V6 run on 87 octane. Here is what it says in the owners manual:
"If the vehicle has a V8 engine, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. If the octane rating is less than 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when you drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service.
As far as mileage, the G8 GT is 1. a large sedan with plenty of room and 2. a performance car.

Compare the fuel cost to any other large car with decent acceleration and you'll see that it doesn't cost that much more to run. For example, the Accord V6 would only save about $350/year in fuel.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I don't consider a vehicles mileage when looking at a car. I still don't know anyone in my family or close friends who does and some of us drive 40k+ a year.
You have your priorities, but others have theirs. Many buyers are very much concerned about fuel economy. Automobile manufacturers and their dealers are responding to their concerns. Manufacturer-sponsored newspaper ads around here are touting cars that get 35 mpg.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
The price of gas won't affect my next vehicle choice. I drive 25-30K a year, but I'm lucky enough to have the disposable income (no kids).

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'd still buy it I won't let the money hungry kingpins at OPEC dictate what car I want to buy and who wouldn't want a 361 horsepower V8

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I would be lying if I said I wasn't second-guessing my thoughts on purchasing a G8 GT. I don't know, I kind of want to see real-world gas mileage numbers before I decide though. If the real-world numbers aren't far from the EPA numbers, then I will keep considering one.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I would be lying if I said I wasn't second-guessing my thoughts on purchasing a G8 GT. I don't know, I kind of want to see real-world gas mileage numbers before I decide though. If the real-world numbers aren't far from the EPA numbers, then I will keep considering one.
The world is changing. The USA in time is going to be a lot more like Europe as far as vehicle choices are concerned. As gas creeps quickly towards $4 a gallon it's going to become a HUGE factor in choice of cars for the majority of the buying public. I have five cars. Two are commuting cars for me and my wife (we both commute 30 miles each way), my daughters have one in college. I have an 84 Corvette that's driven quite a bit. Our Escalade usually sits in the driveway and it's lease is up in two months. Just filling the cars up with gas is running close to $1000 a month.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
The G8 requires regular grade gas and NOT premium and thats why its rated at 360hp and 390 lb/ft of torque..

You want to play you gots to pay..

The difference in fuel economy between the G8 and maybe a boring toyota Camry in the real world will be probably 5mpg..

If that 5 mpg is going to put the hurt on you? Then don't buy the G8..

If your an auto enthusiast who enjoys cars..then I'd say the loss of 5mpg is money well spent..

The G8 is a 33 thousand dollar (loaded) BMW 535i competitor ... Price out the bimmer and then figure out how many gallons of gas you can buy with the price differential..

Its all about perspective..

JMO and good luck.

JB

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I was planning on making the G8 tops on my list when the Caddy lease expires, but with gas hitting $4.00 and the G8 GT requiring premium fuel and only getting 15mpg per EPA, my days of wasting money to go from point A to B are over. How does everyone feel?
You've been a member for 2.5 years, and you just got around to making your first post?!

Funny.

I agree. The G8 GT is a tough sell in this day & age. I know my next car will likely be a four-cylinder. I miss the days of my 300C when gas hitting $2/gallon was an outrage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.