GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I looked around here and didn't see anyone else mention it. Anywho, just checked chevy's website and it looks like prices for basically all new bowties are up for the MY09's. Notably, a base Cobalt starts a ~$16,300, the SS/TC at $24k, and a base Colorado for just over $18k.

I'm sure compensating incentives will soon follow.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Hey I looked around here and didn't see anyone else mention it. Anywho, just checked chevy's website and it looks like prices for basically all new bowties are up for the MY09's. Notably, a base Cobalt starts a ~$16,300, the SS/TC at $24k, and a base Colorado for just over $18k.

This is due to the increasing price of materials, all automakers have gone up.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

YES. As I was just picking out a new Malibu in the past couple of weeks, I was familiar with the price levels for the different trims and their options.

Then all of a sudden, checking online inventory on the GM sites in the past week or so, newly incoming cars had price jumps that confused me for a bit--like a new Malibu 2LT 4-cyl with 1 option that was over $26k--until I went and looked further into it. Case in point, the Malibu I'm getting that I think was built at most a month ago stickers for $27,525. If you build the identical car now on the Chevy site (or elsewhere), it's $28,405. That's an $880 jump in a couple of weeks.

So, wow, yes, quite a notable jump without any announcement. For the Malibu at least, the base prices are now this:

LS: $22,275 (remember those starting at $19,995 days?)
1LT: $23,175
2LT: $25,375
LTZ: $27,550

Hmm...kinda like the $500 steel cost one at the beginning of the year, but bigger.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is due to the increasing price of materials, all automakers have gone up.
Just checked Ford and Toyota's sites, I don't see any price increases for them yet, but I guess it could be coming. You can still get a Ranger for just under $15k and a Tacoma for just over $15k, but a Colorado for over $18k? I was just suprised I didn't see anything about it here or at any other car sites.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Just checked Ford and Toyota's sites, I don't see any price increases for them yet, but I guess it could be coming. You can still get a Ranger for just under $15k and a Tacoma for just over $15k, but a Colorado for over $18k? I was just suprised I didn't see anything about it here or at any other car sites.
I believe BMW was the first to up prices and several others have followed. But every automaker is falling into this trap. Increasing energy and steel costs are driving the price of vehicles up.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
GM is pushing their prices too high. I know their financial situation is dire, blah, blah, blah. They do not have the cache to put their prices so much higher than the competition. They do it so they don't lose so much on the inevitable incentives but how about just making the prices lower than the competition in the first place? They talked about this a couple of years ago but here we are back to the same old cycle.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i got 08 silvy i'll be good for at least another 4 years.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Wow, again, what a jump.

Still perusing through window stickers online and seeing higher MSRP's for certain new models you think there's more options, but they're just recently invoiced cars with the big increase. Was there ever any kind of announcement about this one by GM yet?

It's like almost $1000, for example, on the Malibu, among others vs. even just the start of the current year a couple of months back.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You're right, GM is one of the few that raised prices. Toyota actually reduced prices or increased content at no extra charge on several models. GM can increase prices, the question is will people be willing to pay what they want. Time will tell but I don't think prices increase will be well received, especially here in Canada. GM's decision to kill leases was a very bad move, increasing prices is even worse!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Canadian consumer is already getting ripped off by everyone. Our dollar is strong yet there is a huge difference in price between what people in the US and Canada pay for the exact same thing. Everything from the most basic items all the way through cars costs more. Our do nothing government allows it to happen. We need someone in power who has a backbone and is willing to do something about protecting the consumer.

Nick

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
You're right, GM is one of the few that raised prices. Toyota actually reduced prices or increased content at no extra charge on several models. GM can increase prices, the question is will people be willing to pay what they want. Time will tell but I don't think prices increase will be well received, especially here in Canada. GM's decision to kill leases was a very bad move, increasing prices is another.
GM also reduced prices in Canada, actually all companies have reduced prices in Canada, except BMW. However all companies compensated for the rise of material costs by not lowering it more than they should.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Increased prices lol!! Wow, good idea.....because all of those GM vehicles are just flying off the lots right now. Gotta pay for those executive perks someway though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts