GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group cut the price of the Crossfire coupe almost 15 percent to under $30,000 to woo customers with lower prices rather than big discounts.

The 2005 Crossfire, due next month, will start at $29,920.

Chrysler has also said its new 300 Series sedan, due in April, will start at under $24,000. The new PT Cruiser convertible sells for less than $20,000.

“The idea is to offer better engineered vehicles at a better price point,” said Chrysler brand manager Scott Slagle.

Also coming this year are the 2005 Crossfire Roadster, a convertible priced from $35,000, and a souped-up coupe and roadster, selling for about $46,000 and $50,000, respectively.

Chrysler hopes to boost Crossfire sales after selling just 4,000 last year. Demand is growing with discounts that averaged $1,988 last month, according to Autodata Corp. Through February, Chrysler had sold 1,500 Crossfires.

Auto analyst Jesse Toprak of Edmunds.com said a less-expensive Crossfire should attract more mainstream buyers. “You could almost consider Crossfire a steal.”

Source: DetNews.com

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
they havent sold many because no one over 6' can sit in it without tilting their head to the side.

·
Registered
742 Posts
i guess so much for chrysler wanting to improve their image and move into an upscale market...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by mrfunji@Mar 15 2004, 09:47 PM
i guess so much for chrysler wanting to improve their image and move into an upscale market...
yeah really eh! guess the "if you gouge them, they will come" didn't work. stupid pacifica. they should make celine dion buy 30,000 so that they hit their 100,000 mark!

133 Posts
i dunno know.

If someone wants a "BMW like" or Mercedes like" car, they will just buy a BMW or Mercedes. Sure some 'patriotic' buyers, those that already support the Big 3, may buy one because it's cool and noone else has one. But import buyers will NOT buy an Amercian car because it 'feels' like a German car. They will just buy a German car.

Chevrolet is on the right track with offering back "American performance", ala SSR, Corvette, and (hopefully) 2007 40th Anniv. Camaro.

The Big 3 need to stop 'copying' the Japanese and Germans and offer Americans, American performance. Yes, Americans can produce a GREAT performance automobile.

The discerning American automobile consumer has chosen Japanese and German products over the American product. In part because the American producers haven't had much to offer. Copying the competition is NOT the way to go. Give me something different. Something that only Americans know how to produce. Capture our 'glory days' in sheet metal, rubber, and steel.

<_< :angry: :p :lol:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Considering that the Euro is stronger now that in the past, DC is taking it double in the shorts on this car. They discount a car that costs them more to export from Germany.

Maybe people realize that this car is nothing bunch of old generation MB SLK.

Mark

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
:( :(Crossfire is the only one American sports car available in my country.....
And they don't even offer any discounts(it costs here 50.000 $:((((((((((((((((((

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
I'm doubtful that this plan will work. I'm not so sure that people will believe that Chrysler is reducing prices in lieu of using rebates, even if customers are told that's what's happening. I can see a person looking a bit perplexed after the explanation and still asking the same question: "So where's my rebate?" It's premature for Chrysler to expect people to pay MSRP for its cars, irrespective of how nice that car may be or how they calculated its price. Tempering rebates and prices seems to be a more realistic approach.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@Mar 16 2004, 01:10 PM
:( :(Crossfire is the only one American sports car available in my country.....
And they don't even offer any discounts(it costs here 50.000 $:((((((((((((((((((
Umm... it's not really American, it's built in Germany... :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the Crossfire is uder $30K, how much the future Solstice is worth?????????

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by poofmarshall@Mar 17 2004, 01:13 PM
They're going to sell an '05 Roadster for $50K?  What the heck is it going to have that the base model will not?

:bounce:
No, whatever country powervette lives in is where it is $50k.

-----
EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't read that post see poofmarshall's next post and ignore mine ;)

-----

·
Registered
3 Posts
PontiacJ8 on the very first post said-

"Also coming this year are the 2005 Crossfire Roadster, a convertible priced from $35,000, and a souped-up coupe and roadster, selling for about $46,000 and $50,000, respectively. "

Sorry, i forgot that there were two references to the $50K price tag.

So anyway, back the the original question...what is this beefy model going to have on it?

:bounce:

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Mar 16 2004, 01:57 PM
I'm doubtful that this plan will work.  I'm not so sure that people will believe that Chrysler is reducing prices in lieu of using rebates, even if customers are told that's what's happening.  I can see a person looking a bit perplexed after the explanation and still asking the same question: "So where's my rebate?"  It's premature for Chrysler to expect people to pay MSRP for its cars, irrespective of how nice that car may be or how they calculated its price.  Tempering rebates and prices seems to be a more realistic approach.
"did you get the memo?"

"yeah, i got the memo. i just forgot the new coversheet for my TPS report, but i've fixed it already so it's not a problem."

"mmmmyeah... you see, we're putting new cover sheets on the TPS reports..."

you're totally right! people really don't listen well, and will have a tough time undertsanding they're paying the same as they would have with incentives. maybe they'll just sit and collect dust and it won't matter anyways.

·
Registered
785 Posts
34k dollars for how many horses? 215 and no room! Wow, I’m surprised they sold any at the old price. You could get a used 96 Honda Prelude for about 8k dollars with low miles that will take this car out. Now wouldn't that be a stop light embarrassment! Cars are packing way too many horses these days for this type of shenanigans. Of course you wouldn't be as comfortable in that small Honda but it doesn’t look like comfort is going to sell a car that is so small to begin with. The Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe at $45,695 is the only one that even begins to make sense. At least you haul some arse in that one. Poor Chrysler, I could have saved them a lot of money. All they had to do is ask. :brick:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts