GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm thinking about replacing my Grand Cherokee with a previous-generation Escalade for use as the winter vehicle. Sure, fuel economy will be abysmal but I'm more concered with reliabillity & comfort: the GC is pretty small inside for a 197cm tall fellow like myself.

I'm thinking something around the '09 or '10 model year, as they can be found a dime a dozen in Alberta these days.

Really appreciate any insight anyone can offer ... thanks!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Excellent choice. I don't care for the transmission shift points, but engine and frame are bullet proof.

Reactions: bangstudios

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
the Escalade and Yukon Denali are AWD with out a "LOW range" VS the lower models that are 4WD with a AUTO MODE
I have heard of the transfer boxes going out on them but NOT "beyond" the failure rate of a Jeep GC
a Yukon SLT OR Tahoe LTZ would come with a truck style 4WD system and the 5.3L if fuel usage is of concern as they would be close to the GC for fuel burn and if pricing is the same as in Manitoba are a fair amount cheaper so you could get a LOW MILAGE clean one for the price of an "entry" Escalade/ Denali

MY Avalanche is a 07 so I have the 4 speeder VS the NEWER 6 speeder and in "pure CITY"+ short trips driving go 500+ KMs and was under $80 to fill @ 85.9L and runs on reg where as the Escalade I believe calls for Premium

I have gotten 13L per 100K on HiWay trips and around 16-17 in the summer in the CITY

mine has 180 000 KMS on the clock so NOT a spring chicken

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate the quick replies, folks! Good call for the SLT / LTZs ... I'll have to check those options as well.

And you're correct about the transfer case, Richmond ... I'm on my second one on my GC. :)

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Really appreciate the quick replies, folks! Good call for the SLT / LTZs ... I'll have to check those options as well.

And you're correct about the transfer case, Richmond ... I'm on my second one on my GC. :)
What year is your Grand Cherokee?

·
Banned
943 Posts
the Escalade and Yukon Denali are AWD with out a "LOW range" VS the lower models that are 4WD with a AUTO MODE
I have heard of the transfer boxes going out on them but NOT "beyond" the failure rate of a Jeep GC
a Yukon SLT OR Tahoe LTZ would come with a truck style 4WD system and the 5.3L if fuel usage is of concern as they would be close to the GC for fuel burn and if pricing is the same as in Manitoba are a fair amount cheaper so you could get a LOW MILAGE clean one for the price of an "entry" Escalade/ Denali

MY Avalanche is a 07 so I have the 4 speeder VS the NEWER 6 speeder and in "pure CITY"+ short trips driving go 500+ KMs and was under $80 to fill @ 85.9L and runs on reg where as the Escalade I believe calls for Premium

I have gotten 13L per 100K on HiWay trips and around 16-17 in the summer in the CITY

mine has 180 000 KMS on the clock so NOT a spring chicken
I thought I was going nuts till I realized that you were talking Canadian to each other :p:. And No, I have nothing useful to add to this thread.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The previous gen Tahoes had a problem of the dash cracking up top - not sure if the Escalades had this problem as well.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
I thought I was going nuts till I realized that you were talking Canadian to each other :p:. And No, I have nothing useful to add to this thread.
yes those are METRIC #s
13/14 MPG CITY driving in the summer and 18 HiWay trip
and 115 K miles on it

The previous gen Tahoes had a problem of the dash cracking up top - not sure if the Escalades had this problem as well.
I believe the dash crack "issues" are in southern / warmer climate cars and I believe it DOES affect the Escalade BUT I have not seen OR heard of the dash cracking on northern / CANADIAN trucks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's an '08 diesel with a fairly aggressive InMotion tune. Great vehicle but I'm looking for something more plush and substantially more interior room. I'd like to stay domestic if at all possible; showing up at some sites with a Cayenne wouldn't look very good! :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've gone through a BUNCH of articles & forums now and I'm torn: I LOVE the 6.2. It's bloody brilliant. The 6L80, however seems to be the weak spot, as indicated above.

One more question: has GM strengthened and updated the transmission as time has gone on? I.e.: if I found an '09 or even earlier that has had either a significant transmission service or even a replacement did GM improve the chances of the unit not failing, or did they pull a Porsche and simply ignore any root causes (as P did with the IMS bearing issue until 2009. Grrrr.)

Thanks again in advance ... This is a SUPERB community!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one thought is to ask your insurance CO if there is a price difference between a CHEV/GMC VS a CADDY as the Escalade is a top theft target in Canada there might be quite a substantial price premium
More of a concern is the impression the vehicle leaves ... My wife pointed out that a Cadillac might be a bit highbrow, so I'm going to look at some Denalis when I have a chance next week. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My mom has owned an '08 Denali XL for more than 6 years and it's been a good truck. Her issues have been as follows:

*When new radio speakers would randomly cut out. A few software updates to the headunit and it's been fine forever.
*Passenger side taillight assembly has a leak causing condensation. Dealer replaced under warranty, and now it's fogging up again. Not going to fix as the assembly is expensive.
*Interior door handles are peeling. We're careful to watch our fingers to avoid getting cut.
*Passenger side rear door lock actuator is broken. This is a common problem with the GMT 900 platform. We've left it for now and manually lock the door.
*Dashboard cracked near instrument cluster. Truck was way out of warranty but dealer did replace for $100. The material is garbage.

The engine and transmission have been solid on this truck. No issues there. The paint has held up well and it rides and drives fantastically. It has around 65k miles now and she'll be keeping it for awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts