GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy Colorado Performance Concept Enables Adventure
Ricky Carmichael helps develop package to demonstrate cargo capability, flexibility
General Motors
2014-11-03

LAS VEGAS – Motocross legend Ricky Carmichael has the perfect go-anywhere transporter in the all-new Chevrolet Colorado for his motorcycle, mountain bike and the gear that goes with them.

Carmichael teamed with Chevrolet to develop the Colorado Performance concept to illustrate the lifestyle-supporting capability of Chevy’s new midsize pickup truck. It debuts this week at the SEMA Show, the world’s largest trade show of automotive performance and personalization.

Carmichael consulted with Chevrolet on the unique concept equipment to facilitate the bikes’ mounting in the Colorado crew cab’s 6’ 2” cargo bed, which allows hauling of items up to eight feet long with the tailgate down. A concept tailgate extender helps secure the bikes, while the Colorado’s standard CornerStep rear bumper makes it easier to step up and reach into the bed to tighten hold-down straps or retrieve other gear.

The concept mounting features on Carmichael’s Colorado were developed with the same eye on integrated functionality that’s offered in production accessories available today for Colorado customers – including the patent-pending GearOn™ system. It’s designed to hold larger items such as bikes, boards and kayaks above the bed, leaving room for smaller gear such as tents and sleeping bags in the bed. It can even accommodate 4 x 8-foot sheets of plywood above the wheelhouses.

Customers can have the accessories installed when they purchase their new truck, so they are ready at the time of vehicle delivery. In fact, they can even roll their cost, including any installation charges, into the monthly payments for the Colorado, and carry a warranty backed by General Motors.

With his motorcycle and mountain bike safely mounted, Carmichael and Chevrolet designers turned their attention to the Colorado’s exterior and interior to give it a one-of-a-kind appearance reflecting the hall-of-fame racer’s competitive spirit.

The truck was given a unique matte gray exterior color accented with high-gloss silver and yellow accents – and a graphic of Carmichael’s signature. The production 17-inch Z71 aluminum wheels were accented with yellow highlights and wrapped in Goodyear Duratec off-road tires. A concept sport bar was also added to the bed.

Yellow accents were added to the interior, along with Carmichael’s racing number 4 embroidered into the front seat headrests. Like the production Colorado, Carmichael’s concept version is well connected via Chevy MyLink with a built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot. There’s also a standard rearview camera system that’s helpful when backing up with tall cargo, such as a motorcycle.

And when it comes to the power Carmichael appreciates, the Colorado delivers the segment’s most powerful and efficient engine: an available 3.6L V-6 rated at 305 horsepower and 269 lb-ft of torque – and 26 mpg on the highway (2WD models), according to EPA estimates. The concept vehicle features a concept performance exhaust system.

*Full Press Release at Link

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I saw my first Colorado and Canyon's yesterday. I prefer the Canyon's styling, but like both. However, a loaded SLT Canyon was 40K. Not much less than what my SLT Sierra listed for. Plus the MPG wasn't estimated much more either. I'm VERY happy with my Sierra, I hope the midsizers do well, and I'm sure they will, but I wouldn't give up my full sizer for one.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I saw my first Colorado and Canyon's yesterday. I prefer the Canyon's styling, but like both. However, a loaded SLT Canyon was 40K. Not much less than what my SLT Sierra listed for. Plus the MPG wasn't estimated much more either. I'm VERY happy with my Sierra, I hope the midsizers do well, and I'm sure they will, but I wouldn't give up my full sizer for one.
You state the estimated gas mileage of the Colorado is not much better than your SLT Sierra. What do you consider much better? I think 6 MPG difference with the Colorado is a huge difference. I really don't understand where your coming from.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I believe the Colorado/Canyon will be huge sellers.....the million dollar question is where are the buyers coming from?......Silverado/Sierra or......conquests.....

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,474 Posts
I believe the Colorado/Canyon will be huge sellers.....the million dollar question is where are the buyers coming from?......Silverado/Sierra or......conquests.....
I think it will be both. Conquests hopefully will be from the foreign competition now that GM is back in the game. Also I would expect some to come from the full size arena just because of what is said in the press release by Carmichael. I do think it is a good looking package but to call it performance without the actual substance is lame on GM's part.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Largely a vacated (Ranger) market with current offerings that have had lack luster investment for years Tacoma, Frontier. Frontier using the same F-Alpha truck chassis as the full size Titan and full size vans as a compromise on efficiency and packaging size.

Has it been mentioned previously GM's guidance is for a conservative 100k units annually?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Since Toyota and Nissan have not touched their mid-size offerings in a decade, it's a ground ripe for taking and GM is looking to cash in on it and I believe they will. The question is how well will they do two to three years down the line as Toyota's and Nissan's products are brand new?

This "Performance Concept" is just fluff...foam on your latte if you will.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'm digging the yellow/silver wheels, go-fast stripes, bed rail and extender. So Chevy Performance couldn't come up with a 2" lift, Fox shocks, and brush guard with a winch to make available as aftermarket accessories? Throw some IPF lights on that bed rail too and you'd be open for business!!

Too bad we won't see some of these things as accessories.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I'm digging the yellow/silver wheels, go-fast stripes, bed rail and extender. So Chevy Performance couldn't come up with a 2" lift, Fox shocks, and brush guard with a winch to make available as aftermarket accessories? Throw some IPF lights on that bed rail too and you'd be open for business!!

Too bad we won't see some of these things as accessories.
Its SEMA. I do not take automaker participation in that show seriously. They usually go there to represent their name, not to offer any serious product direction.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Its SEMA. I do not take automaker participation in that show seriously. They usually go there to represent their name, not to offer any serious product direction.
True enough, but it has given me some ideas on what I could do to my truck, you know... eventually, when I buy it... someday. :eek:

It would be nice to see a concept, for once, coming out of Chevy or GMC that has some good off-road cred. that points to a production package. Oh well, I guess I can design some of my own.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I am in the understanding for the most part SEMA for OEM's is to KICK the aftermarket / custom builders into making accessories for your product VS showing GM will make them themselves
the Colorado WILL sell better if Rancho ETC make suspension kits for it and if this gets "press" Rancho ETC may push up there DEV schedule for these trucks

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You state the estimated gas mileage of the Colorado is not much better than your SLT Sierra. What do you consider much better? I think 6 MPG difference with the Colorado is a huge difference. I really don't understand where your coming from.
The difference on the sticker was two mpg more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts