GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumor is making it around the net that a certain future "Small Sporty Chevy Coupe" has passed enough stages in develpment that suppliers are getting their hands on some of engineering and manufacturing development work. That being the case, many more people (people involved in the GM supply chain) are getting an idea what the new car looks like and it's mechanical details. The internet is a place where people think they can post anything without people knowing, so naturally has more people have become involved, more details have seeped out. The key thing to come out of this is that for a new GM car to be at the stage where suppliers are involved makes it almost a lock that the "Small Sporty Chevy Coupe" will be made. Also, seeing as more people have seen the car, it is not a strange coincidence that the internet seems to be on a Camaro Photoshopping binge, and they all have the same key styling elements! Also, note that if the car is this far in development, it can be resonably assumed that design for the most part is locked down to the point only a few detail changes can be made. As far as what the car will be called...I think we all know the answer, though being a sore spot with GM I will not touch it in this post. I have no secret source for this or anything...just a rumor being floated on the net that seems to have very good basis.

Note to GM: No one leaked me any info on this....if you want know where it came from you need to read a few F-body message boards.

For the full details on this coupe read an earlier article by GMI concerning the possible 2007 Camaro posted here!

·
Registered
790 Posts
this sounds good, i hope it happens, but im cynical after these last few years of not seeing any real solid proof.

i just hope it happens.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
B) can a description of the basics of the coupe be made? is it kappa, zeta, hybrid of both? is it a 2 seater like Popular mechanics said or four? Any more info/rumor please. :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Which one is this? The return of the Vega? Monza? Chevette? Del Ray? It could be anything and it most likely won't be available til '07 anyhow, so just sit and wait.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Plus, despite the unavoidable attention from the f-body guys, they may be getting all wound up over a car that just might be the sportster, and not the camaro. I personally hope it is the camaro, but I'm trying not to put the wagon before the horse.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Unless it's going to be a total surprise to the media (and everyone), there is no indication of the car at the New York show (according to GM's media sites).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Kinda strange how GM is staggering these "leaks" and introductions.

All speculation here, but:

OK, so we read the news a few weeks ago that GM was iffy on the Nomad concept because of public reaction.

Sounds to me like the simple conclusion is that just about every division is going to get a Kappa. In this case, a Kappa less like the Nomad, and more like the Solstice.

Which is fine with me. But just hold on for barrage of "It needs a V8" from Chevy fans if even a hint of "Camaro replacement" is mentioned.

Also, I hope it doesn't steal sales from the Solstice. Pontiac really needs that car to stand out, and having a Chevy clone would sukk.

Here's my prediction:

Chevy comes out with a Velite-length Kappa coupe, with 2 doors and 4 seats (like Velite). A car version of GM's smallest displacement / package size V8 (the 4.8L or 5.3L?) is used to power it (which will be plenty for a small light car).

Extra weight, extra seats means it needs more power than Solstice, but handles worse. So the nimble handling 2-seater sports coupe with the VVT 4-cyl. still remains exclusive to Pontiac, while Chevy gets a heavier yet more muscular coupe with a less techy, more brutish engine powering it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I actually like Mings idea, If they do make the sportster, make it heavier and larger. Chevy has always been about using power as a main selling point, with secondary consideration to suspension and handling. I think that it's fine if it has more power than the Pontiac version, as long as the weight and size keep it from outperforming the solstice. I just think that it can't outperform the solstice around a track, even if it is bigger and heavier, or else whats the point?? I love america, but you know that most of the buyers here don't uderstand the joy of a pure driving machine that less than 200 horsepower. Their logic is, "oh well, I'll just suck them up on the straightaways" There needs to be an obvious difference, not just a second or two on lap times. Because in America, horsepower is still king, and many americans that are interested in sports cars can't squeeze into a Miata, which is the Solstices competition. So, If Chevy does produce this car, even a "smaller than a Camaro" sized one, it will really hurt the Solstice's sales volume.
Actually, the more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. Chevy has the Corvette, which they will not use as a platform for a Pontiac, and when the new Camaro comes out, it will share the same platform as the GTO, so, Pontiac gets a "halo" car based off from the second-highest performing car from Chevy, and then, when Pontiac gets something that will boost it's performance image, chevy has to leech off from that as well. So, actually, I would like to revise my statement, anything smaller than a Camaro that is RWD, and not the NOMAD, I am against. I think it's just another case of Chevy being afraid of Pontiac, which it always has. I don't think that Chevy likes it's commuter car, bland but high sales volume image. But too bad, you've made your bed, now lie in it, and let Pontiac have the glory it deserves.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Mar 27 2004, 02:45 PM
I actually like Mings idea, If they do make the sportster, make it heavier and larger. Chevy has always been about using power as a main selling point, with secondary consideration to suspension and handling. I think that it's fine if it has more power than the Pontiac version, as long as the weight and size keep it from outperforming the solstice. I just think that it can't outperform the solstice around a track, even if it is bigger and heavier, or else whats the point?? I love america, but you know that most of the buyers here don't uderstand the joy of a pure driving machine that less than 200 horsepower. Their logic is, "oh well, I'll just suck them up on the straightaways" There needs to be an obvious difference, not just a second or two on lap times. Because in America, horsepower is still king, and many americans that are interested in sports cars can't squeeze into a Miata, which is the Solstices competition. So, If Chevy does produce this car, even a "smaller than a Camaro" sized one, it will really hurt the Solstice's sales volume.
Actually, the more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. Chevy has the Corvette, which they will not use as a platform for a Pontiac, and when the new Camaro comes out, it will share the same platform as the GTO, so, Pontiac gets a "halo" car based off from the second-highest performing car from Chevy, and then, when Pontiac gets something that will boost it's performance image, chevy has to leech off from that as well. So, actually, I would like to revise my statement, anything smaller than a Camaro that is RWD, and not the NOMAD, I am against. I think it's just another case of Chevy being afraid of Pontiac, which it always has. I don't think that Chevy likes it's commuter car, bland but high sales volume image. But too bad, you've made your bed, now lie in it, and let Pontiac have the glory it deserves.
All 20 thousand of the solstice will sell. The kappa platform was meant to be shared.

After the death of the f-bodies, who was the first ones to get a RWD v8 coupe? Pontiac

Who was the first to get the thumbs up for a smaller sports car? Pontiac again

The corvette is the pinnacle of performance, and is more exclusive. The gto and whatever the chevy version is will both be the top of each division. the vette is not in the same catagory.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, it seems that there is now a 2nd small chevy coupe in the rumor mill now. There is the Kappa based Mini-Vette, and the Zeta based Camaro. Since GM is showing this Velite on the Zeta chassis, and a small wheel base chassis at that, depending on what I see at NYIAS, could lead to the next Camaro. As for a mini-vette, its possible, but why? Why have 2 sporty roadsters for 2 companies? Why should Chevy get a kappa based car at all? I dont see the need nor the want. The Nomad's attraction was just that of any and all retro cars, the thrill and coolness of a retro car that reminds people of older cars and better times. Outside of the concept, what do I need a small hatchback car like that for? We have a Malibu Maxx for that? If I want a roadster, I have the choice of a Sosltice, or perhaps a Saturn Curve. What is the used of the Nomad or Mini-Vette for Chevy? I dont see it. Kappa cant be made to go that big or increase that much in size to make anything outside of a 2+2, 4cyl RWD car. If maybe an AWD set up was there, I can see perhaps a small, AWD sedan on the Kappa later on, but as of right now nothing.
Back to the Camaro. Now, Zeta has a much larger expansion envelope that can develop everything from midsized RWD coupes like a Camaro to a large, AWD crossover wagon like a Magnum. Zeta can open a lot more windows for GM as far as product, but you can only have so many RWD cars as America is still heavily under a FWD mind meld. I see coupes, large sedans, and crossovers off Zeta. Now, if there is tooling going out... that would lead me to belive that a car is near ready for its day in the sun, is it not? Probably very ready. Is it quite possible that a Camaro coupe "concept" will be released along side the Velite at NYC? I mean, look at every new chassis release and look at Kappa. When they showed the production Solstice, they put 2 more cars build off the same chassis. GM could do the same here, no? I will say this, If there is a Camaro concept released at NYC, I will cry with tears of joy and pride. Mostly because its in NYC and I will be present on the 10th, but that GM has not let me, and hundreds of thousands of fbody enthusiasts down. If the Camaro is on its way, I thank the men and women that helped bring the car back from the grave. I would love to shake each and everyone of your hands. Thank you oh so much.

-Alex.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why weren't all of you so upset when the nomad was going to be built? That and the curve shows just how different they can be. like I said, this platform is meant to be shared.

Chevy shared the f-body for 35 years and these kappas will look much different then the camaro/firebird ever did.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
and I agree with posanue on that the Corvette is not a chevy car, but a GM icon. Pontiac is a performance brand, but the Chevy and the Corvette is an all-american brand and an all-american car. Might not be the most expensive of GM's fleet or most luxurious, but The Vette is definatly king.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by posaune@Mar 27 2004, 10:34 AM
Why weren't all of you so upset when the nomad was going to be built? That and the curve shows just how different they can be. like I said, this platform is meant to be shared.

Chevy shared the f-body for 35 years and these kappas will look much different then the camaro/firebird ever did.
If Chevy's Kappa is a coupe, not a vert, then I'll be happy. the vert market is limited, and so too many cars doing the same thing is bad. Also, coupes will sell far better in seasonably cold regions (like my home, Connecticut). I just want the Kappa cars to be successful and diverse. Then I'll be happy :) As for the ability to change styling, I know the ability is there, and so I hope they take advantage of it! It could be a kick-*** line!!! :mf_boff:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Personally, the reason that I didn't complain is because I actually like the nomad. I agree, it's not perfect, but there does need to be more differentiation from kappa to kappa. Three small roadsters (coupe or convertible) will only dilute the impact that Kappa should have. I think that Chevy should build the nomad, make it even sportier looking in the same vane as the Mini Cooper. And I don't think that the Malibu Maxx should be entered into any comparisons, it's a hideous car. The Nomad has real potential to draw in alot of people to Chevy that otherwise buy imports, and that is the goal, right?? If the Nomad is built, then thier lineup will go like this.
Aveo
Cobalt
Nomad
Malibu
Impala
Monte Carlo
Camaro
Corvette

I think that if you look at that, the nomad fits more into Chevys core audience, of practical cars(except the vette), even the Camaro is a more "practical" sports car, so why would they choos the impractical sportster over the Nomad?? I just see the Nomad as the Perfect vehicle for Chevy to build it's image on, a fun, practical compact with "niche" appeal, but still fits in with the basic principals of Chevy. Plus. if they can price it similarly to the Mini, with the additional power that the Supercharged(turbocharged??) Ecotec would give, do you think that Chevy won't be able to steal some of the buyers from BMW that were considering A Mini?? I think they could, and thus introduce the company to another demographic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
can anyone say NOVA

Isn't what happened back in the 60's
Personally I would love to see a small rwd coupe, a camaro(the #1 reason to drive a chevy) and the corvette.

The small rwd coupe could be great competition with the mini, wrx, and other cars in the same price range. Just think, a 220hp 4cly coupe the same size as the solstice, HMMMM commute with the small chevy and cruise on the weekends with the camaro........

GM-YOU HAVE TO BRING THE CAMARO BACK.

Whatever happens, I will not be happy until the camaro returns.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by 69supersport@Mar 27 2004, 07:15 PM
can anyone say NOVA

Isn't what happened back in the 60's
Personally I would love to see a small rwd coupe, a camaro(the #1 reason to drive a chevy) and the corvette.

The small rwd coupe could be great competition with the mini, wrx, and other cars in the same price range. Just think, a 220hp 4cly coupe the same size as the solstice, HMMMM commute with the small chevy and cruise on the weekends with the camaro........

GM-YOU HAVE TO BRING THE CAMARO BACK.

Whatever happens, I will not be happy until the camaro returns.
A nomad would compete with the mini, a RWD coupe wouldn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by posaune@Mar 27 2004, 10:34 AM
No offense... but the only reason Chevy 'shared' the FBody line as b/c GM didn't want Pontiac's design to kill the Corvette (which it would have)... not only that but during the 3rd/4th gen redesign stage Pontiac did their model first and the Chevy guys made the Camaro from that design.... so by the end of this whole run (and through the 70s when the Bird outsold the Camaro, before Pontiac was forced to shove SBCs in their cars) you gotaa ask, who shared the platform w/ who?

(BTW I love both the Camaro and Birdy, I am a member of a FBody club... just stickin up for my car a bit... please do't take offense posaune)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts