·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche, Volkswagen Recall SUVs

The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, May 26, 2004
May 2004

Porsche is recalling more than 40,000 Cayenne sport-utility vehicles worldwide and Volkswagen is recalling around 60,000 Touareg SUVs to check for potential faults in rear seat belts.

The recall is determine the condition of the pins that hold the rear seat belt buckles in place.

There is a possibility that the pins linking the belt buckles to their anchorages have been manufactured incorrectly, which could lead to a situation where the pin separates from the belt buckle.

Link

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
to be honest I drive a VW...
But what can I choose from?
American automakers recently sold their cars here before 1939,the only brand offered now is Chrysler(I am going next week to the official unveiling of 300C)

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
The Volkswagens produced at the Puebla, Mexico plant (New Beetle, Golf, Jetta) are of markedly lesser quality compared to those produced in Europe, despite sharing designs.

Jettas are extremely popular in Montreal and there are huge lists of complaints, but they are still bought up for their "agrement de conduite". Even a repuded auto publication here related Jetta purchase with Russian roulette!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by powervette@May 27 2004, 05:37 PM
American automakers recently sold their cars here before 1939,the only brand offered now is Chrysler(I am going next week to the official unveiling of 300C)
How about Opel?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ+May 27 2004, 07:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MelvinJ @ May 27 2004, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-powervette@May 27 2004, 05:37 PM
How about Opel? [/b][/quote]
Or a Ford or a Citeron or a Pugeot of a Fiat or a Honda or a Toyota or a Mazda... ?

·
Registered
43,819 Posts
Originally posted by Smaart Aas Saabr@May 27 2004, 03:53 PM
The Volkswagens produced at the Puebla, Mexico plant (New Beetle, Golf, Jetta) are of markedly lesser quality compared to those produced in Europe, despite sharing designs.

Jettas are extremely popular in Montreal and there are huge lists of complaints, but they are still bought up for their "agrement de conduite". Even a repuded auto publication here related Jetta purchase with Russian roulette!
Doesn't mean much. The Camry's made in japan are lower quality than the ones made in teh US.
VW just needs to quality manage their plants better... and not the ones in Mexico... judging from their abyssmal quality numbers lately.

·
Registered
676 Posts
KILL PASSAT said:
No surprise for VW!!! Every Year Every Model has been recalled. Check
www.killpassat.com
Funny that, we have had 3 VW's and never had one recalled. Our only fault with our latest one ('03 Passat 4MOTION) is all the electrics in the Right Rear door broke after having a ****ty glazier fix our window after it was broken into (The same glazier screwed up the same door of an Audi RS6, so it's definitely the glazier and not the car).

Seriously, it's stupid to judge a cars quality from a recall, especially when the makers are acknowledging they ****ed up and are fixing them for free. Besides, if we did judge cars from recalls, it'd be pretty fair to call most GM models junk.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Ssom said:
Funny that, we have had 3 VW's and never had one recalled. Our only fault with our latest one ('03 Passat 4MOTION) is all the electrics in the Right Rear door broke after having a ****ty glazier fix our window after it was broken into (The same glazier screwed up the same door of an Audi RS6, so it's definitely the glazier and not the car).

Seriously, it's stupid to judge a cars quality from a recall, especially when the makers are acknowledging they ****ed up and are fixing them for free. Besides, if we did judge cars from recalls, it'd be pretty fair to call most GM models junk.
I'd say you got lucky. See for yourself -

www.vwvortex.com

You will never see so many problems in your life even if you combined manufacturers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
guitarlix said:
I'd say you got lucky. See for yourself -

www.vwvortex.com

You will never see so many problems in your life even if you combined manufacturers.
I'd say it's more that the only Mexican VW's that end up here are the New Beetle and '06+ Jetta. Golfs and Passats have a very strong reputation for reliability here. (Golf sourced from South Africa, Passat sourced from Germany).

It's all an issue of the factory it came out of, the componentry has been proven reliable. For example, the factory in the Czech Republic that turns out the Skoda models is incredibly high tech and efficient and as a result Skodas top reliablity surveys, the dedicated Phaeton factory is another good one, as is the Wolfsburg one for the most part.

The Mexican one is staffed by people who went from making Beetles and Kombis to making Golfs and Jettas, that's like going from making Remote Control airplanes to making space shuttles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dont' buy a car built on a Monday or Friday. Why do you ask? Cuz the people that work on the line is either hung over or still high and are creating defects in your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Smaart Aas Saabr said:

Not all true...my Passat was made in Germany and it was the biggest POS I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Ssom said:
It's all an issue of the factory it came out of, the componentry has been proven reliable.
Again not always true, I know quite a few people with Passat/Audi A4 issues far worse then some Jetta owners.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my brother had a 93 golf III and it got 2 recalls 1 for the rear brake line and 1 for the hood latch. right after they fixed it the car blew 3 holes in the tranny haha no more VW

·
Registered
857 Posts
What a surpise!!!!!

The ultra low-scoring super unreliable ugly Touareg is being recalled! V-DUBB should just recall the entire vehicle and buy it back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
*SIgh* **** happens guys... As far as recalls go we all know VW is not leading the pack.

I work in a job where I frequently get to drive a wide variety of cars. And I must say NOTHING can compete with a German automobile... The driving experiance of any BMW, Benz, VW and esspecially Audi is unparalleld by American or Japanese autos. VWs handle better, shift better, drive better.

I love American cars but I also love German ones because they really deserve the love. VWs as far as cheap cars are fantastic, unless they are Mexican in which case you are screwed... or a Passat in which case you are also screwed. But Golfs and Jettas have some top notch platforms and motors. What can compete with a VR6 motor in terms of reliability, performance and potential? Not much...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts