GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Great :D
There's still money in US based manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I don't know about the Cayenne, but making the Jetta, Passat, and Toureg there is a good idea, especially if it comes with a lower price tag.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't know about the Cayenne, but making the Jetta, Passat, and Toureg there is a good idea, especially if it comes with a lower price tag.
But the Jetta is already sourced from Mexico.

If the Touareg moves to the States, bringing the Q7 and Cayenne to the States (the biggest market for them) only makes sense. But I can't imagine many suppliers moving across the ocean to follow...which would mean that the parts would still come from Europe. So many parts of the three are sourced from Eastern Europe...and don't you think that if the dollar ever recovers, the US-build versions will be suddenly more expensive to make?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
But the Jetta is already sourced from Mexico.

If the Touareg moves to the States, bringing the Q7 and Cayenne to the States (the biggest market for them) only makes sense. But I can't imagine many suppliers moving across the ocean to follow...which would mean that the parts would still come from Europe. So many parts of the three are sourced from Eastern Europe...and don't you think that if the dollar ever recovers, the US-build versions will be suddenly more expensive to make?
Nonetheless they have confirmed that the Jetta will be built there.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
and don't you think that if the dollar ever recovers, the US-build versions will be suddenly more expensive to make?
It'll be a very long time before the dollar recovers in a meaningful way.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Nonetheless they have confirmed that the Jetta will be built there.
VW hasn't "confirmed" any products for a new US plant. I've found are references to "core products" and guesses that this would include the Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, and/or another crossover. But since 100% of all Jetta sedans sold in the US are sourced from Mexico, it wouldn't seem likely that they need another plant for that model...yet. VW says it will make its official statement on the plant in July.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts