GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s something very puzzling about Nissan’s all-new GT-R supercar. Its official output figures read 480hp (358kW) and 588Nm (434lb-ft) of torque and its mass registers at 1,723kg, but the car can still outrun the 911 Turbo around the notorious Nurburgring by a healthy margin despite the Porsche weighing less and producing more torque (1633kg and 457lb-ft respectively).

Nissan’s official lap time for the Nurburgring is a blistering 7m 29s, set back in May. The lap times were for a stock-standard base specification GT-R fitted with the same Japanese market tires as the cars in showrooms, according to claims by Nissan.

Porsche, however, claims Nissan falsified these numbers and posted the quicker times because of semi-slick race-style tires. The German sports carmaker even purchased its own GT-R and set about testing it against both the 911 Turbo and GT2 and in both cases it claims the GT-R was the slowest. The laps were run by one of Porsche’s chassis development engineers and not its regular tester, former world rally champion and race winner Walter Rohrl.

Speaking with Australia’s CarsGuide this week, Porsche’s 911 product chief August Achleitner said the GT-R used by Nissan to post its official times could not have been a regular series production car.

He said Porsche took a standard GT-R bought in the United States and running on regular road tires, and was tested on the same day as the pair of 911s. According to Porsche, the GT-R posted a time of 7m 54s, with the 911 Turbo managing 7m 38s and the GT2 getting down to 7m 34s.
http://www.motorauthority.com/porsche-accuses-nissan-of-falsifying-gt-r-nurburgring-lap-times.html

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
For the first time, I agree with Porsche.

I question the "stock" wording.

No doubt about that...Nissan will probably just say that they forgot that they had the other tires on. Not saying it isn't possible, but I believe Porsche on this one.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If this is true then that makes the 7:25 lap time of the ZR1 that much more impressive, especially since all the car magazines talk about how great the GTR handles.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A new marketing strategy no doubt.......compare your product to one that costs half as much and is not in your league imagewise. A no win situation for Porsche.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Finally someone gets to the bottom of nissans false claims.
So let me get this right....you're fully willing to accept the times that Porsche produced for a Nissan driven by Porsche drivers?

Do you understand the absurdity of that?

But, I will not go out on a limb and say Nissan is innocent...I have no idea. It'd be nice if there was a way to verify the vehicles "stock-ness" after the laps, but before numbers are published.

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
So let me get this right....you're fully willing to accept the times that Porsche produced for a Nissan driven by Porsche drivers?

Do you understand the absurdity of that?

But, I will not go out on a limb and say Nissan is innocent...I have no idea. It'd be nice if there was a way to verify the vehicles "stock-ness" after the laps, but before numbers are published.
The idea is, if you give a stock nissan to a ring expert like that girl from the ring that clarkson likes, after a few laps of practice, they should be able to come close if not duplicate nissans laps, given the GT-R is not as a hands full as a Z-06 or porsche, from what we read...
Porsche is simply saying, they have done that and come really short of Nissans claims, calling them on it.

Now its nissans turn to explain why the one you bought down at the nissan dealer and shipped to Germany is slower, or why you just got spanked by that stock corvette or porsche after you were led to believe you would own them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nissan GT-R's have a lot of variation from car to car. I'm not saying Porsche is right or Nissan is but I think Car and Driver or Motor Trend dyno one at 510 hp.

Going from 7m 27 to 7m 54 seems a bit excessive to me whether it was tires or a bad engine. And that 7m 54 time was recorded by Walter Rohrl, the greatest driver of all time, IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The idea is, if you give a stock nissan to a ring expert like that girl from the ring that clarkson likes, after a few laps of practice, they should be able to come close if not duplicate nissans laps, given the GT-R is not as a hands full as a Z-06 or porsche, from what we read...
Porsche is simply saying, they have done that and come really short of Nissans claims, calling them on it.

Now its nissans turn to explain why the one you bought down at the nissan dealer and shipped to Germany is slower, or why you just got spanked by that stock corvette or porsche after you were led to believe you would own them.
Sheesh. It's obvious why it's slower after the transatlantic flight: Jet lag.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Nissan GT-R's have a lot of variation from car to car. I'm not saying Porsche is right or Nissan is but I think Car and Driver or Motor Trend dyno one at 510 hp.

Going from 7m 27 to 7m 54 seems a bit excessive to me whether it was tires or a bad engine. And that 7m 54 time was recorded by Walter Rohrl, the greatest driver of all time, IMO.
I definitely believe Nissan intentionally lied about the GT-R's numbers...

I do question the statement about GT-R's having a lot of variation from car to car.... Why would this be?
It is my understanding that this car is mass-built (regardless of how many are made)... There should be no such variation unless it's hand-build (which it's not).
If there is that much variation between cars then this is a BAD product.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I belive Porsche 110%. Why would they buy a GTR, test it, and come out publicly if they hadnt tried thier hardest? They could be exposed as sandbagging the car, and that would instantly bring down the image of Porsche.
Porsche has nothing to hide, they did a full test. Even if the Nissan driver could cut 10sec off that time, hell 20sec faster then the Porsche driver its STILL not as good as Nissan claimed.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The ZR-1 is still faster than both...:p

:
Exactly. :D

This kind of reminds me of the Car and Driver test between the Ferrari GTO and the Pontiac GTO back in the '60s. The GTO turned out to be a ringer with a 421 instead of the "stock" 389...

Methinks the GT-R might have been a ringer too...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I think Porsche and Nissan need to supply me with their cars and fly me to Germany... I can be a unbiased judge... :D Or, may be Nissan looked up the word "stock" from the NASCAR dictionary! :D

BTW, ditto on the ZR1!

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
If Porsche were smart, it would have kept its mouth shut, given enough cash to car magazines to buy a stock 911 and a stock GT-R from showrooms, and bring them to the Ring. Then it would be Car and Driver (and its German counterpart) making the accusations. And they could have invited Jeremy Blowhard from England to narrate it all. A youtube video of Clarkson calling Nissan a liar would spread like wildfire on the internet and ruin the GT-R's reputation.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

everyone has been shaking their heads at how this underpowered pig could be lapping the ring so fast for months. all the ricest have been boasting, and nissan engineers just say 'they applied physics properly' (road & track paraphrase).

it's not hard to imagine that slicks and racing gas, with more boost, could make significant impact. it was a chassis engineer who drove, not rohl. i'd say a pro driver would have lapped faster, but then the porsches would have been faster as well, and they posted typical times.

did they use standing starts?

the viper acr (unofficially) lapped at 7.22. i bet the zr1 could do better with a wing and a few hundred pounds of downforce.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts