GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Popular Mechanics tested various combinations of 2009 Half Ton Pickups and ranked them as follows.

1. Ford F150 5.4L 6 spd
2. Dodge Ram 5.7L 5 spd
3. Nissan Titan 5.6L 5 spd
4. Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L 6 spd
5. Toyota Tundra 5.7L 6 spd

What surprised me the most was that the Ford was heavier and faster than the Silverado (even with the new 6 spd for both).

Don

Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4287668.html

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Popular Mechanics tested various combinations of 2009 Half Ton Pickups and ranked them as follows.

1. Ford F150 5.4L 6 spd
2. Dodge Ram 5.7L 5 spd
3. Nissan Titan 5.6L 5 spd
4. Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L 6 spd
5. Toyota Tundra 5.7L 6 spd

What surprised me the most was that the Ford was heavier and faster than the Silverado (even with the new 6 spd for both).

Don

Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4287668.html
The F-150 does have a lot more torque then the 5.3L motor but even though the F-150 has more torque it doesn't have the payload rating or two rating of the Silverado.

I think its unfair that the Tundra gets tested with its best engine along with the Ford F-150 and the Dodge and even the Nissan Titan while the Silverado gets tested with only the 5.3L motor. Although I do see why it can hang with these trucks and their bigger and more powerful engines, the only truck with a higher payload rating was the Nissan and the only truck with the highest tow rating was the Tundra not a bad result if you ask me. For someone who is looking to buy a truck that is all around a really good truck its going to be hard to beat the Silverado. You can get the Tundra however it only wins when it comes to acceleration and tow rating over the Silverado, you can get the Nissan it can carry more in its payload but thats it, you can get the Dodge or the F-150 in this one but why it doesn't do any of the truck bits better then the Silverado.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Where did it say that?

This is what I read: The F-150 is the heaviest here at a porky 5921 pounds. And despite the newly empowered 5.4-liter V8, that weight hurts acceleration and handling. It was the slowest and required the longest distances to come to a rest.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think its unfair that the Tundra gets tested with its best engine along with the Ford F-150 and the Dodge and even the Nissan Titan while the Silverado gets tested with only the 5.3L motor.
Yeah, I bet the Silverado would have placed higher if it had been equipped with the 6.0L motor, and maybe if it had been equipped with the work truck interior (But, you'd have to get only an LT, right?).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where did it say that?

This is what I read: The F-150 is the heaviest here at a porky 5921 pounds. And despite the newly empowered 5.4-liter V8, that weight hurts acceleration and handling. It was the slowest and required the longest distances to come to a rest.
I got the numbers from the summary chart that was included. I tried to attach the picture image but I couldn't get it to work so the link is below.

DDL

http://www.popularmechanics.com/con...aption=2009 Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I love how Toyota's "mighty" Tundra is last.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How great is it seeing the Tundra in last! :)

I got it...

F150
Silvy
Ram
Titan
Tacoma ;)
Tundra

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree GM has two engines up the food chain, the only thing I will say is try to find a new one with a 6.0 or 6.2L... Dang near impossible! It's all 5.3Ls. There might a Denali or two but they don't have the payoad/tow ratings of the 3.73/nht pkg. So for 95% of the trucks actually bought, it's a fair comparo. Not sure if thats the dealers who are afraid to order the 6.0l? Perhaps they all have nightmares of the older 6.0s mpg?

If you want a comparo with the 6.2L then read up on the one pickuptrucks.com did back in November. Its done very well. I've still yet to find any review with the 6.0L/1500 in a 09?

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
As far as who's "fastest" who cares? The Tundra had the best acceleration loaded or unloaded in the comparison and yet it came in last. Content and capability is what matters and that's how the F-150 won the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts