GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ummm. . . I don't like it. . . The front end looks like it's melting. I like the idea of a big, stocky, sedan with power that could compete with the 300c, and I like it coming from the Pontiac division, but I think you're a tad off with the styling here, Rex.

:blink:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 26 2004, 07:57 PM
I figured the Big grille is working for Chrysler, it may work for Pontiac as well.
The grill actually almost looks circa 1930 or something. I do agree that it's a little too much even for Pontiac styling. Just pull it up to bottom corners of the headlamp set backs. Or, if you want to keep it that big try a chrome or brushed aluminum honey comb.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont like the grill, I really like the overall shape. Good job rex.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Maybe the grill would look better with a 4 port grill instead of the 2 port so just a horizontal divider between the top and bottom sections.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
How about chrome grille inserts, like some of the Grand Prix's get? This might help overcome the look of two gaping holes, and chome always adds an upscale look.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@May 27 2004, 12:04 PM
How about chrome grille inserts, like some of the Grand Prix's get? This might help overcome the look of two gaping holes, and chome always adds an upscale look.
Exactly what I was thinking in my previous post, Ming. I think it adds some class as well as smooths out the form.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I actually kind of like it. It's true about the oldskool lok to the front end, if you imagine the centre divider is gone if looks exactly like the huge grilles they had in the '30s. Awesome job rex

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Still doesn't make the cut. Just because it is working for someone else, doesn't mean it is going to work for you. I'd think Pontiac better stick with what they have now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think the problem is the boneville is too rounded of a shape, it needs to be more square for a tall V8 sedan like the 300. Although the Ford 500 is probably as large and that is pretty rounded so I don't know, maybe a big sedan styled more like the pontiacs of the 60s & 70s would work better.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I think GMwsag is right -- good chopping, but might be better to leave this kind of design to Cadillac or perhaps even Buick.

Pontiac seems best served with sporty looking models more along the lines of Nissan and Mazda.

I'd love to see the return of some big Buick grille cars like this to compete with the 300C:

1950's Buick Centuries -

·
Registered
739 Posts
Although it doesn't really explain the Solstice styling. That kind of rounded form is certainly not "Pontiac styling". But there it is, and we're all wanting more.

Anyway, with the grill maybe you could try moving it toward the bottom.

here are some variations based on what some people have suggested:

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is freaking awesome. It's like an SUV, only it's a sedan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts