GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by nightwave@Dec 20 2003, 06:11 PM
I think that the Solstice will fill the roll that the Fiero covered; a small, cheap (hopefully), nimble sportster.
aka: Miata killer? Or will it go against the MR2?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Originally posted by demonspeed+Dec 21 2003, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (demonspeed @ Dec 21 2003, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nightwave@Dec 20 2003, 06:11 PM
I think that the Solstice will fill the roll that the Fiero covered; a small, cheap (hopefully), nimble sportster.
aka: Miata killer? Or will it go against the MR2? [/b][/quote]
both i think, and maybe even the S2000 if the Solctice has enough power.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by demonspeed+Dec 21 2003, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (demonspeed @ Dec 21 2003, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nightwave@Dec 20 2003, 06:11 PM
aka: Miata killer? Or will it go against the MR2? [/b][/quote]
HA! the MR2 is a joke now a days. Toyota really ruined a nice car,the Solstice will eat it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 21 2003, 10:55 PM
Unless they do something really awesome (HINT: HINT: v8), the BMW roadster will probably be a better car.
**raises eyebrow** Isn't BMW dropping their V8 roadster? "Z8" is it? **sound of axe chopping**

·
Registered
750 Posts
The Z8 is what ....80 some odd thosand dollars? The Z4 only has a 3.0 liter in it, I think it wont be to hard to trounce.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Might be harder than you think - most tests have the 3.0 version of the Z4 getting to 60 in the mid-fives, with the quarter coming up in the very low 14s.

If the supercharged Sol matches those numbers for less, it will be a very impressive performer. If it actually beats them with a supercharged four, it would really be something.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Z8 = $137k roughly, but I've not heard anything about them dropping it. I know there was a concept a while back called the Z9 that might take it's place, but I don't think they'll drop a car from that segment.

As for the Z4, the top model only makes 220 hp and 215 ft/lb torque, and that's at $40k!!! The Solstice making 240 hp and 220 ft/lb torque at $20k-$25k would definitely trounce and pounce all over everything. The only difference is the Z4 has "standards" such as a fancy 10 speaker stereo system, heated seats and steering wheel, power seats and windows and locks, and all sorts of other cushy junk that is a waste of space and money.

The V8 has been argued to death in multiple threads, don't bring it to another one please. GM's not going to do it. It's as simple as that.

Main difference between the Solstice and Fiero is the placement of the engine. If they were to bring back the Fiero, the Speedster/VX220 would be the platform they would use to do it. This will go in the same segment of the market but will not try to replace the memory of the Fiero by any means.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Z8 and M5 are dead.... there are rumors of an exotic called M1 to take its place.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
M-whatever. I'm going to be the first in line to drive the Solstice. As long as it isn't too cute in real life (which I doubt, as it will be the toughest-looking in its price class), and as long as the Cobalt SS isn't a better value, I'll seriously look into taking delivery. Granted, GMS on the Cobalt SS will be a pretty hefty trump card, as will my current car payment, as I can't give up my beloved girl...

Ghrank :frankie:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I have a feeling the Solstice will do well as long as they add a high-performance version to the lineup. 150-170HP just wont do it (unless its the base Solstice to keep prices down of course). Well one thing for certain with the things that I am hearing about the styling (Exterior is straight from the concept and the interior is said to be very close to the interior and most say it looks better and looks like it feels better.) it should be a hit.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by gerardo_zg@Dec 23 2003, 01:11 AM
The Z8 and M5 are dead.... there are rumors of an exotic called M1 to take its place.
ahhhhhhhh M5 is still here, and is coming in 500hp V10 flavor too. No M5 right now probaby because of the new body style, but there will be. The Z8 is near 140k roadster. Its a nice car, but not for that much. The Solstice is a weird car. Its a high hp car(240hp?) but for around 26k=30k? Its really gunna take out a chunch of a bunch of cars from miata to maybe higher end sports cars like the boxter and z4? The car needs to handle light it was on rails, accelerate quickly, be smooth and quite, and catch everyones eye. Thnk about all the 2dr 2 seater cars out there. They stand out over the rest of teh line up. MR2, S2000, Miata, Vette, Boxter, Z4 and this car should do the same. If they kept it near concept form, I think it will be one sexy looking sports car. This is one of thoes cars that shows that GM can make something with style.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Dec 23 2003, 01:15 AM
The Solstice is a weird car. Its a high hp car(240hp?) but for around 26k=30k?
First of all, weird???? Awesome, yes. Weird, no.

Secondly, $26k-$30k?? I'm not sure where you're hearing your info from, but everything that I've seen on it is saying $20k-$25k.

With the price and the power, it will definitely take the market from the Miata and MR-2. It will take some away from the other cars that are $30+k, but only if the people choosing the Solstice aren't concerned with crap like heated and power everything.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think 20-30, keeping a wide estimate would be more advisable. It could easily jump 7 grand from base to top and that puts it in both margins.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They'd better offer multiple configurations and even a "build your own" instead of the GTO's "choose your color and tranny and that's it" approach.

I'll take a very base Solstice with the most powerful engine they'll throw in it, wheter that be a s'charged I4, V6 or s'charged V6, and the 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Dec 22 2003, 11:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Dec 22 2003, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gerardo_zg@Dec 23 2003, 01:11 AM
ahhhhhhhh M5 is still here, and is coming in 500hp V10 flavor too. No M5 right now probaby because of the new body style, but there will be. The Z8 is near 140k roadster. Its a nice car, but not for that much. The Solstice is a weird car. Its a high hp car(240hp?) but for around 26k=30k? Its really gunna take out a chunch of a bunch of cars from miata to maybe higher end sports cars like the boxter and z4? The car needs to handle light it was on rails, accelerate quickly, be smooth and quite, and catch everyones eye. Thnk about all the 2dr 2 seater cars out there. They stand out over the rest of teh line up. MR2, S2000, Miata, Vette, Boxter, Z4 and this car should do the same. If they kept it near concept form, I think it will be one sexy looking sports car. This is one of thoes cars that shows that GM can make something with style. [/b][/quote]
Yes, I know it will be alive, but right now it is like the STS version of the Seville (Out of bussiness) And the Z8 is dead :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts