GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
It's obviously going to be a Chevy Optra clone for Pontiac -- one step above the Aveo, but able to sell starting at 13K. ;)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i hope nothing, if Pontiac wants to be similier to a BMW, than a sunfire is to cheap. Now im not saying i don't like the vibe (i love it and want one). Not replaciing sunfire would be a good way to slowly move into BMW range.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I say forget about a small car.. Unless it is a proforance compact!!

Pontiac is going more upscale, I hope they don't replace the Sunfire
;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I say go ahead and replace them - but replace them with a more upscale model. Maybe a G3 to go with the G6? That'd be neat...unlikely...but neat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Personally, I think that they should build the Vibe on the Cobalt platform, make it AWD, and use that to replace the Sunfire. No more sharing with Toyota.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by pkd87@Feb 16 2004, 07:43 PM
i hope nothing, if Pontiac wants to be similier to a BMW, than a sunfire is to cheap. Now im not saying i don't like the vibe (i love it and want one). Not replaciing sunfire would be a good way to slowly move into BMW range.
But BMW has the 1-Series coming....

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by pyrofenix@Feb 17 2004, 11:33 AM
I say go ahead and replace them - but replace them with a more upscale model.  Maybe a G3 to go with the G6?  That'd be neat...unlikely...but neat.
The number is supposed to represent the number of cylinders for the mainstream or optimum engine in the vehicle:

Sport Van Six-cylinder - SV6

Grand Prix with a V8 - G8

The name G4 has been floated for a Sunfire or replacement.

A G3 would be a 3 cylinder engine.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't know if the number is specifically related to the cylinders. The G6 will have a 4 cylinder option. It won't be called the G4.

The G4 is the name of the Pursuit in Mexico where "pursuit" has no meaning there.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 18 2004, 11:23 AM
The G6 will have a 4 cylinder option.  It won't be called the G4.
Yeah, I hate that. It kinda throws the whole naming scheme off...at least it is getting the Cobalt 170 hp. 4-cyl. and not the 140hp Cavalier engine that's going in Base Malibus. Gives a little more differentiation.

But seriously - with a 3.5 and a 3.9L -- does the G6 really need a 4? My guess is only for the rental fleets... :(

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 18 2004, 11:18 PM
But seriously - with a 3.5 and a 3.9L -- does the G6 really need a 4? My guess is only for the rental fleets... :(
yeah, and isn't the dummed-down (base/fleet) grand am part of the reason for changing the name? 'grand am' doesn't have the sporty following pontiac wants. a decontented G6 (whatever the name will be) will drag the G6 back to the basement again, won't it? i know the base altima is 4-cylinder, but i don't think nissan has the identity problem that pontiac does.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As to the Pursuit, I was under the impression it was a Canada-only model?

Wasn't there talk that the Solstice coupe would eventually replace the Sunfire?

·
Registered
114 Posts
i hate the idea of another Chevy having a too much look-alike of the fugly Aveo..I think the Sunfire replacement should not be built in US or Canada..It should be Holden's Astra but with a smaller body so it wont be a mid size car but Pontiac needs a smaller car with a possibility of a convertible like the 96 sunfire converts..i love those Sunfires but they pretty much killed off the name with the sick updates they made to it since 98 but if theyre gonna get rid of the Sunfire i think the Astra is a perfect car and take away the vibe and add a sport wagon with the Astra body like what Ford did with the Focus but only that is getting ruined by Ford..Pontiac Pursuit in a Holden Astra skin? i think the name is good but the styling is not good..i think the Pursuit shouldnt represent Pontiac as a look-a-like Chevy Cobalt but if GM is gonna go towards Holden for more models might as well let em build a entry level car for Pontiac..a 2dr sport coupe,4dr sedan,5dr sport wagon,and 3dr convertible a la Saturn SL2 coupe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, everyone, don't laugh at me, but I miss the old SUNBIRDS!! I loved the '92 and '93 GT and the '94 SE. I miss the semi-hidden headlights and the lower body skirting. I loved the exterior design, it just needed an updated interior. When the '95 Sunfires came out, I was extremely disappointed. They are so ugly!! I think they should bring back the old Sunbird!!

But I know, the quality sucked. However, one of my friends still owns a 1991 Sunbird SE -- it still has the original 4 banger in it and it still runs! It has 180,000 miles on it. It's not a GT, but still has the semi-hidden headlights and rear-deck spoiler. The body and interior are still in great shape!

Anyway, enough about the Sunbird -- I currently own a 2003 Grand Am GT w/the SC/T appearance package. I love it -- but I'm looking forward to the G6 coupe and convertilbe!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Carguy@Feb 17 2004, 04:43 PM
Kappa coupe/sedan would be COOL.Something DIFFERENT PLEASE!!!!!!
What about a Nomad with a Solstice front end with some other "more extreme" styling features and a sportier and more functional interior along with more HP and call it the "Surfari"!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
We have to be honest about what GM has done in the past and what they will likely do in the future.

:type:

A Pontiac Pursuit seems the most obvious answer, but for some reason we aren't privy to, GM decided not to do this originally.

It defeats the purpose of an "entry model" if the cost is the same as a Vibe - perhaps that is why - and Pontiac doesn't want a lower trimmed vehicle than a Cobalt - that doesn't make sense.

I still think it makes the most sense to give Pontiac a Suzuki Forenza / Chevy Optra. The price is right for entry buyers, but it isn't as bare bones low-rung as the Aveo - couple of thousand more - nor as cute or "un-Pontiac" looking. There is no Optra coupe, however - a coupe would help.

The Astra idea is nice, but again, price butts up against the Vibe.

If Pontiac didn't have the Vibe, there would be a lot of options.

But regardless, Pontiac dealers want low-priced models for volume entry sales. I think they can only get that and still turn a profit with a Pontiac Optra.

Entry level is entry level. It's below a Vibe, and the Solstice costs around 20K, so a Solstice spin off doesn't make sense either. Entry cars aren't supposed to burn up the road and be cool - they can LOOK nice - but that's about it.

About the only other GM alliance partner small car available that might work would be a Suzuki Aerio sedan - priced starting at: $12,548

1 - 20 of 21 Posts