GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I don't know much about this, but I have been told that this concept was origionally a concept for Saturn. Now I don't really know, but I think the concept Saturn was called the Curve. Now I don't know. So if you have any info I would like you to reply.

Thank you, ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking about GM, not pontiac. Sorry for the confusion. And I already told you, I don't have much information regarding the subject. But I do believe the Curve came out in 2000 but again I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
even if the solstice was first a saturn (which i don't think it was), it's within GM's power to shuffle cars as they see fit. i think the solstice makes a perfect pontiac, so if it was moved it was a good call. perhaps you're thinking of they sky, which was a smaller saturn convertible concept a few years back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See, I don't know if the Solstice would actually fit the design of Pontiac. It certainly fits Pontiac better than your family car, Saturn. But it is a good idea. And you probably will see alot of them on the road being that there base price is under 20000.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Solstice Concept was RWD, the Sky was FWD

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Sky came after the Solstice concept in the NAIAS in 2002. The Sky would supposedly be built on the same platform as the Solstice and also the ill-fated Buick Bengal. The Sky was a 4 seater and the Bengal was a 2 seater and both got the axe. Saturn then showed the Curve concept at the 2004 NAIAS as a four place coupe based off of the Kappa platform to show the versatility of it that it could be used for more than just the 2 seat Solstice. As far as I know, the Solstice was the first penned design for the Kappa platform and was the whole reason the Kappa platform was created. This all started in September of 2001 after Bob Lutz came back to GM.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I always thought the Solstice was more derived from the Bengal than anything else. But I've seen enough quotes and articles to conclude that the Solstice was the first true kappa design and was created by a team of GM engineers for Pontiac, with the goal of producing a number of GM cars on that platform in the future. Overall I see Kappa as an operational test design that will become the gold standard for all future GM platforms. In my opinion it's testing the idea that a lighter, stronger, cheaper chassis can be developed for any size vehicle. Maybe that's part of the reason the Solstice will be retailed at an amazing price for the type of car.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Originally posted by rvette59@Aug 19 2004, 09:02 PM
;)
Check out the Plymouth Pronto Spyder from the early 1990's. Definitely the concept vehicle from Lutz.

The concept is from 1998, not the early 90's.
Looks like a Mini German Viper to me, ugly too.
Hardly as free flowing as the Solstice is.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Lutz loves small older euro roadsters, so its not a surprise for me to see this idea of a small, light weight, nimble sports car follow his path. GM was the first time he had enough resoruses to acutaly do it, and force it down everyones throat, making them like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.