GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although GM had a bad sales month in July down 26.7%, Pontiac had a good month - G5 up 17%, G6 up 6%, Vibe up 7%. If not for giving up 6,000 Grand Prix sales in exchange for 1,500 G8's this year, Pontiac as a division would have recorded a sales INCREASE in a difficult market.
What was that about shutting down Pontiac ?
What was that about what a horrible mistake the G5 is ??

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Also, the Solstice outsold the MX-5 again. With the targa coming out, the Solstice will be the #1 selling roadster for the 3rd straight year.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
It also sold nearly twice as many G6's as Saturn Aura's. Imagine what the numbers would be like if they improved the interior to the same level as the Aura and Malibu.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Pontiac is my favorite brand (GM or other). First car was a '73 Firebird. First new car after college was a '96 WS6 Trans Am, which I still cherish. Up until 2 months ago, my daily driver was a '99 Montana (replaced with a Honda since GM gave up on mini-vans).

That said ... your doing some funny math to make things look better for Pontiac.

July 2008 Total Pontiac Sales : 25,373
July 2007 Total Pontiac Sales : 30,023
% Change in Volume for July (based on volume): -15.5%
% Change in Volume for July (based on Selling Days) : -22%
YTD 2008 Pontiac Sales : 178,127
2007 Pontiac Sales thru July : 205,448
% Change in YTD Voume : -13.3%

Your story is that if you look at the individual models things look better. If you adjust for number of selling days (while comparing 2008 vs 2007) only the G5 is up ... everything else is down. If you compare the numbers between 2007 Grand Prix and 2008 G8, you may here a death toll for the G8, which has a LONG way to go to catch up with outgoing Grand Prix sales.

G5 July 2008 : 2,665 vs July 2007 : 2,287 up 7.6% (selling day adjusted)
G6 July 2008 : 13,261 vs July 2007 : 12,507 down 2.1% (selling day adjusted)
G8 July 2008 : 1,472
Grand Prix July 2008 : 558 vs July 2007 : 6,001 down 91.4% (selling day adjusted)
Solstice July 2008 : 1,232 vs July 2007 : 1,463 down 22.3% (selling day adjusted)
Vibe July 2008 : 4,501 vs July 2007 : 4,200 down 1.1% (selling day adjusted)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I realize that the G6 is in desperate need of an update....but the fact is that gas prices are high and Pontiac doesn't have many trucks...and they have a brand new, attractive model.

So....their sales are up. People do need to realize that the G8 is significantly more expensive than the outgoing Grand Prix. In fact, the V6 G8 could be considered overpriced where as the Grand Prix could be had for a steal in recent years due to massive discounts. The truth is that the G8 is a way better car, and it's price point puts it in a position where it's not fair to compare sales of the G8 and Grand Prix, especially now that the G6 has higher end, high feature V6 engines that push it upmarket enough (I belive the G6 is larger than the Grand Prix anyways).

I'd like to see what percentage of G6 sales are picking up the slack in fleet sales now that Saturn and Chevy typically frown on that with their new Epsilon products.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello, thats great to hear. With all the so called negative news, its nice to have fun with a car like the Solstice and enjoy it too. Thanks Norm

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did my part. On July 30th I traded in the H3 and leased a G6 GT Convertible in Performance Red (a dark red/burgundy) with almost a vanilla color for the leather seats. My wife was leery of no trunk space but I reminded her that we have a Tahoe for big purchases. This is for me to get back and forth to work and running around. So far I love it. I even received 20.7 mpg on my first tank of gas. I can’t take it on the sand dunes but it will tow my Yamaha Raptor there. The sacrifices we make.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I hate to remind everyone, but remember Pontiac has one of the highest fleet-sales percentages in the industry.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I hate to remind everyone, but remember Pontiac has one of the highest fleet-sales percentages in the industry.
Given the low rent interior of the G6 (compared to even the Impala), I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

Maybe GM should consider a Law Enforcement option for the G8 though?? Those would be some good fleet sales ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts