1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Re: Pontiac name the G8 contest update (and a suprise)

in the end, the company's marketing gurus will have the last say
That worries me immensely. :(

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

uhhhh....ute?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Worrisome to every pickup truck manufacturing company maybe.
I will admit to not being part of the target market for this thing (I'm not sure who is in fact) and will admit that it may appeal to some. I certainly hope it's a success. To my eyes however, it is as god awful as anything I can currently think of on the automotive landscape at the moment.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Naming contest for Pontiac sport truck draws more than 10,000 entries

Naming contest for Pontiac sport truck draws more than 10,000 entries
By GREG MIGLIORE
04/22/08
AutoWeek

The El Camino lives, but there are at least 10,000 other possibilities for the yet-to-be named Pontiac G8 sport truck.

Pontiac's contest to name the companion vehicle to the G8 sedan closed April 15, drawing more than 10,000 unique names. General Motors officials are now examining the entries, weeding out names that are trademarked by someone else and hope to have a decision by the end of May.

It's unclear exactly who will have the final say for Pontiac's ute, but the finalists will be submitted to GM's top brass, including product boss Bob Lutz and marketing chief Mark LaNeve.

A Pontiac spokesman would not reveal other names but confirmed that El Camino was among the contenders. The name is popular with car enthusiasts with fond memories of the vehicle that was sold as a Chevrolet in the 1960s through the 1980s.

The spokesman did note that GM is weighing the effectiveness of using a Chevy name on a Pontiac.

The vehicle was unveiled at the New York auto show in March and is expected to go on sale in the United States next year as a 2010 model.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/FREE/496179244/1065

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Re: Naming contest for Pontiac sport truck draws more than 10,000 entries

El Camino is a Chevy, and it shouldn't be applied to something sold at the local Pontiac outlet. that's my opinion..... think the Ute is cool though, regardless of name.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

An El Camino Royal Knight? Never heard of such a thing. No wonder, looks forgettable. What is it with people's fascination with ugly decals?

I put my G8 ST entry in. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Why is the brand that is getting rid of all their names having a naming contest? But then I should ask why is the brand that is getting rid of their SUV's and suppose to be all cars bringing a truck-like vehicle into the mix? If we have to have this dreadful thing, name it G8 ST and be done with it. This should have gone to another brand. We need more coupes and sport sedans/hatches in the mix. Not a dumb looking Aussie truck thing.

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts

The seventies were a time best not spoken of. We were doing the best we could.
Wasn't the MULLET born during the 70s?

·
Premium Member
36,586 Posts

Why is the brand that is getting rid of all their names having a naming contest? But then I should ask why is the brand that is getting rid of their SUV's and suppose to be all cars bringing a truck-like vehicle into the mix?
Excellent question that cuts to the bone of GM's Name Insanity Committee core values.

Why indeed, when it will be given some Gimple the Fool "name" like S-66 or such.

Perhaps this is an indicator that the GM Corporate Zero Tolerance Drug/Martini Testing Program and Free Milk Duds Plan is missing some people.

I have already given, free, gratis, and no charge whatsoever (just leave a credit card #), Poncho the best possible name for the best of all possible worlds: El Neanderthal.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

I submitted my entry, as well. Here's hoping! Then I'll sell it to someone on GMInsideNews.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.