GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yea, but is "PhatNoise" the only thing to lure buyers away from the competition?

Oh yea, I agree with everyone that this is the best looking one of the bunch!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by TaHoE@Feb 1 2004, 03:17 PM
I present you with the Ming SV6 (Production Version, because they would never offer a chrome mesh grille ming)
Please keep concepts in the concepts section.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Feb 1 2004, 08:07 AM
the most original looking one, and still a compleate dissapointment, even for a minivan....

i just wish they all at least looked different from the front.
i completely agree.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Feb 1 2004, 04:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Feb 1 2004, 04:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TaHoE@Feb 1 2004, 03:17 PM
I present you with the Ming SV6 (Production Version, because they would never offer a chrome mesh grille ming)
Please keep concepts in the concepts section. [/b][/quote]
I only posted it here because Ming was talking about it. Im not going to waste space by dedicating a new thread just for a color change...

·
Registered
39 Posts
this is by far the best one, interior has the sportiest color combo, and the front end is nice. fits in with pontiacs style. true though that 4 is too many csv's adn they should dump the saturn one. now they need to differentiate (or try to) the csv's with engine packages, seating, drivetrain, wheels, anything possible. if ends up being all the same engines and everything, with just a diff exterior, it'll be a huge bomb.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Stop Badging for god sake..

nothin different than the grille and the interior..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Disgraceful badge engineering.

j

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Feb 1 2004, 02:17 PM
Hehe, thanks - I guess it would have to be a GMC, not a Pontiac, and with the Denali moniker to get the chrome inserts. :p

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I suppose it's an overstatement to say I'm dissapointed with the styling on the CSV's.

First, given that they are on the aging Venture platform, there had to be some indication that they wouldn't look progressively new.

Secondly, these minivans have been some of the most blatantly badge-engineered platforms at GM for a while. You think the GMT360/365 variants are numerous? Before that was introduced, the previous minivan generation consisted of:

-Chevy Venture
-Olds Silhouette
-Pontiac Trans Sport/Montana
-Opel Sintra
-Vauxhall Sintra

And, much like the CSV's, these ALL shared headlights too. I thought if there was one thing that GM learned from their lagging share of the market, was that styling did count. Apparently not, as the biggest detraction of these vans is the fact that they do share headlights.....as well as that bony cheekline in the bumper that reminds me a lot of Joan Rivers.......maybe THAT's why it's so ugly.

Of the four, I do prefer the Relay and the SV6 the best, mainly because the Uplander and Terraza (what kinda name is THAT, anyways?) look like guppy fish, with a big sucking hole for a grille. Yea, the Chevy has the bar, but still looks terrible.

Last comment: Lutz, where's your nutz? If you were really the prodigy that you were, you'd do more than steal credit for the Solstice, and rush it into production. In fact, the only thing I've seen you do so far is badge engineer vehicles to become "High Demand". As seen since the 80's, GM could have done that all allong without you.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I think it's interesting that nobody has questioned the notion of Pontiac even having a minvan. So I will - why does Pontiac need a minivan?

In terms of branding, it's clear that GM has decided that Chevy will be the volume/value brand and Pontiac will be the sporty/specialty brand. The Malibu/G6 offers a glimse into this relationship.

Given that, it makes perfect sense for Chevy to have a minivan of some type. But Pontiac? What's sporty or special about a minivan? How does this fit into a portfolio that will include the GTO, Solstice, Vibe, GP, G6 and Bonneville. Each of these is at least an attempt to be the sporty car in its class.

Perhaps if Pontiac feels it needs a minivan from a dealer volume perspective, it should at least figure out a way to differentiate its minivan so it better fits into its brand and products (engine, suspension, brakes, styling). Otherwise, leave the minivan to Chevy and create something more keeping with Pontiac - perhaps a sportswagon version of the G6 with AWD.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by crazywop112@Feb 2 2004, 03:25 PM
The CSVs are just as ugly as the azteks.
I think that's being a little too harsh. The SV6 isn't as crazy and in your face as the Aztek because it doesn't use wacky angular lines combined with a piggish fat body.

The biggest fault with the SV6 is the rear half that looks too much like a Venture.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I am having a 70's flashback of GM's finest grille, fascia and badge engineering like the Chevrolet Monza, Pontiac Sunbird, Oldsmobile Starfile and Buick Skyhawk.

So will they be installing the noses at the dealership depending on which GM brand dealership they are sent to? Or if they are going to be sold at multi-franchise dealers, will the customers get to pick the nose like they can do at the plastic surgeon's office?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I though that GM learned their lesson about not "badge engineering" their vehicles. I have no prob with the sharing of platforms, but when the only differences are interior trim, body panels from the A-pillar forward, and wheels something is wrong. Something is wrong when the new Buick van looks like the new Saturn van with nicer wheels.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by dairyboy615@Feb 3 2004, 01:49 PM
I though that GM learned their lesson about not "badge engineering" their vehicles. I have no prob with the sharing of platforms, but when the only differences are interior trim, body panels from the A-pillar forward, and wheels something is wrong. Something is wrong when the new Buick van looks like the new Saturn van with nicer wheels.
Something has been wrong for a long time.

Go compare the:

Chevy Venture
Pontiac Montana
Oldsmobile Silhouette

There's little difference to speak of, and they all look equally terrible inside.

(For Mr. Pringle :)) See the "Cadillac of Minivans" the Silhouette, that looks strangely like a Venture with a cheap wood grain dash kit (and some buttons on the wheel?):

The seats in the Silhouette are nicer, tho...

Really people, we should be doing cartwheels over the BLACK INTERIOR! this SV6 promises in the photos.

Yes, a black interior with chrome accents on a Pontiac minivan! No more gray mouse fur! Hooray!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The idea of a Saturn van isn't such a bad idea, but really do these vans all need the same Grand Prix steering wheel, the same dash, the same body panals, the same engine and tranny, and a Buick minivan? Pretty ludicrous indeed! My guess is the GM vans will continue to finish last in all the match up tests with Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Dodge.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
With the introduction of these "new" midvans, GM just lost some comparisons and customers to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. :(

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Feb 5 2004, 08:00 PM
With the introduction of these "new" midvans, GM just lost some comparisons and customers to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. :(
I guess you speak on behalf of them? Are you a soccer mom? My mom liked all of them? Every female I show has liked them... and they love the interior too. They like the idea of the sliding rails above too. I think they will do just fine, come on there mini vans. And it looks like a SUV, so the father wont mind driving it. The Honda, Toyota look basic and boring, and the nissan is about the only nice looking one with its lines, but the interior on that looks like chuncks of plastic stacked on top of eachother.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Ok, don't believe me then. I think it lost some comparisons because of its lack of crucial features necessary to this segment. Because of those lack of features, they may have also lost some customers to the imports. The only good domestic minivan now is the Grand Caravan with its stow-n-go seating.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 5 2004, 09:17 PM

And it looks like a SUV, so the father wont mind driving it.
[/quote]
GM [/B]attempted to make it look like an SUV, but the rear windows don't look that great. You can obviously see the hints of Bravada, Rainier, and Envoy, but it just doesn't look that great. Give me a break! I don't know any guys that would want to be driving this or any other minivan, let alone the MPV or Quest.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts