·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE LAST RIDE - Review Roundup

On a Past Ride
NOEL HOLSTON
NYNewsday.com

This hot-car caper from executive producer Rob Cohen, director of "The Fast and the Furious" and "XXX," is not half bad if you don't mind a preposterous story or brazen product placement by the telecast's sponsor, Pontiac.

The movie opens with a car chase that looks like something out of the drive- in heyday of "Vanishing Point" and "White Lightning." Ronnie Purnell (Peter Talieri), a self-styled Robin Hood who robs armored cars and gives the loot to anti-Vietnam War activists, is roaring toward the Mexican border in his hopped-up '69 Pontiac GTO, "The Judge." His mortally wounded wife, Kate, and their young son, Aaron, are in the car, and there's a string of highway patrol cars in pursuit. Finally cornered, Ronnie is hauled off in handcuffs, and the time frame advances from 1970 to the present.

Remember, your brain should be idling in neutral for this. "The Last Ride" is the kind of movie you take in because the only sound sweeter to your ears than heavy-metal thunder is the one that a set of steel-belted radials makes squealing through a 180-degree turn.

Full Review Here: http://www.nynewsday.com/entertainment/tv/...manheadlines-tv

'Last Ride' looks like an ad, runs on autopilot
Matthew Gilbert
Boston Globe

The new USA movie "The Last Ride" doesn't represent the latest step in product placement. It heralds a brave new world of "actor placement," in which professionals such as Dennis Hopper and Fred Ward are paid to appear in insidious feature-length ads. Like the waxen models in glossy magazine spreads or the "real-people" audiences in infomercials, the actors in "The Last Ride" are onboard not to perform so much as to lend attitude and allure to the sales pitch.

Basically, "The Last Ride," which premieres tonight at 8, is a two-hour attempt to hip up the Pontiac GTO image for a few generations of men. The movie, which was coproduced by the director of "The Fast and the Furious," Rob Cohen, is all about turning the muscle car into an iconic image of masculinity and freedom. It's a visual collage of car chases and car races, with some uninspiring tough-guy dialogue fitted in between. Not surprisingly, Cohen approached Pontiac with this ad.

Full Review Here

A Gas-Guzzling Revenge Plot Meets Souped-Up Sales Pitch
VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN
New York Times

"The Last Ride," which appears tonight on USA, is a brazen commercial for Pontiac that is souped up to look sort of like a car-chase movie. The network has made no pretense about this, hyping its achievement as a "unprecedented integrated marketing opportunity." You can't skip the ads without missing the movie.

Sure enough, gleaming cars with fantastic handling are never far from view, or earshot, as roaring engines and singing brakes dominate the soundtrack. During a scene at a car show, no less, a woman in leather even recites the mantra of Pontiac's new sports car: "Zero to 60 in 5.3 seconds!"

Fortunately, this 84-minute commercial stars Dennis Hopper, looking sheepish but amused, and it is not dreadful. What's more, in so boldly juxtaposing its themes of brand loyalty and blood loyalty, the show turns the corporate cultivation of rebel spirit into a gleeful goof. What? Advertising during a television movie? By a car company claiming to be cool? Lighten up.

So here's the story. Matt Purnell (Chris Carmack), a cop's son and aspiring hood, is also the grandson of a hood, Ronnie Purnell (Mr. Hopper), who was put away in 1970 for robbing banks. Matt and Ronnie team up to avenge Ronnie's arrest.

If it takes a minute to accept that people whose parents were hippies in 1970 are themselves now bald squares — parents of cool kids, not cool kids themselves — it is worth making that adjustment to witness the tender love between today's "O.C."-type pranksters and their rebel heroes from 30 years ago. With his love of fast cars and pit-crew clothes, Matt is a human footnote to Ashton Kutcher; he is so insouciant and cute as to be chided for posturing by his pals. (You can imagine him watching "Easy Rider" and loving it.)

It makes perfect sense, then, that Matt admires Ronnie, whose release from prison kicks off the plot. Mr. Hopper is in fine form. As he has for years, he looks much sadder than, say, Jack Nicholson, as though the mayhem of drugs and bikes really did force on him a lifelong reckoning. Stiff around the shoulders, with mournful eyes, Mr. Hopper is believable as an ex-con.

With the exception of one car chase and one drag race, the first half of the movie is a lecture on its plot. We learn that Ronnie went to jail for an altruistic crime, during which his wife was murdered. His son, Aaron (Will Patton), was left in the custody of sinister security executive Darryl Kurtz (Fred Ward), and became a police detective. Aaron's own son, Matt, quit school to hang out with his girl (Nadine Velazquez), a curvy mechanic with a welding torch, and some bad seeds who hang out and make cars run like greased lightning. If Matt is going to go straight, he is going to have to learn from his jailbird grandpa, who is seeking revenge on the evil Kurtz.

In all this exposition one glaring element of the story is left to speak for itself. That is, of course, the overbearing presence of Pontiacs: new ones, old ones, S.U.V.'s, race cars, luxury cars, Bonnevilles and GTO's. Logos abound, as well as shiny prototypes, and one standout conversation goes like this:

Ronnie: "You kids today don't know how to handle a V8?"

Matt: "Don't need it. This one's got quarter-inch lines, hotshot 421 headers, Tenzo intake and exhaust, and an NX noz system."

Full Review Here

Last Ride website with sweepstakes

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
:lol:
Yeah it was good,
my first impression was : "what the **** are they doing ,is it a commercial Mitsubishi and Nissan?or a third part of F&F?"

But then they showed many US cars and the GTO ofcourse.

I love some sentences of Hooper "You kids today don't know how to handle a V-8!" B)

The only thing I regret is the fact it is not a cinema-movie.
If it were it ,they would show "the Last ride" in cinemas in Europe and many people would change their mind about US cars(and would get to know what a GOAT is)

·
Registered
92 Posts
i saw the movie the other night i thought it was pretty good for a tv movie, the product placement from pontiac was very obvious but i didnt mind it, there were some awesome scenes showing the GTO's performance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i thought it was pretty lame just like most car/action movies now days (fast and furious, gone in 60 sec) but like those movies it did offer some decent eye candy and cool chase scenes. the plot was actually better than the fast and furious, but it was still mostly filler.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The movie was ok but there wasnt enough tire smoke from the GTO.And the movie has been repeated 3 or 4 times already,its actually on right now on USA.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
If you can appreciate this movie for what it was ("...A Gas-Guzzling Revenge Plot Meets Souped-Up Sales Pitch"), then it was fine. I actually thought the idea was quite clever.

I wonder if reviewers were serious when they dissected this movie. That type of analysis reminds me of the analyses of the first Rambo movie. Movie reviewers were tearing it apart for Sly's poor acting and the overall bad plot. Again, I had to wonder if people were serious. I did not see Rambo for its plot or for the acting of its cast. I wanted to see a good shoot 'em up movie, and on that level it delivered.

Likewise, when I watched The Last Ride, I wanted to see a variety of GM models brazenly featured in the context of a made-for-TV movie, and The Last Ride delivered in spades!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I thought the movie was alright. I'm more of a fan of making a car a main character in a movie without outright proclaiming it. Just look at the fast and the furious. Yes, many people thought the movie completely sucked. But tell me how many 16 year old kids saw the first one and instantly wanted a Supra? Or how many people saw Gone in 60 Seconds and were just drooling over the 1969 Shelby? That's the way to go.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The movie was not bad. It was watchable.
It was a great ad for GM
Bad Guy driving a black DTS
Bad Guy's henchman driving Pontiac Bonneville GXP
Good Guy's Dad driving Pontiac Grand Prix
Good Guy's Granpa driving 69 GTO
Good Guy driving Mitsu but then steals a new Black GTO and his girlfriend modifies the GTO which looks great
I expected worse than what "The Last Ride" delivered. I did hope for more and better car chases. GM should have copied BMW films and focused even more on the cars.
Does anyone know what the modified GTO was?
Does anyone have pictures of the red GTO from "The Last Ride"?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Thank-you for adding the pictures of the red GTO.
It would make for a good poll which GTO do people prefer
standard 04
red one from TLR
SLP's
Sema
Does the hood scoop do anything in terms of performance or is it just for looks?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I thought it was pretty good over all and the girl was ((((HOT! HOT! HOT!!)))) There were some good lines like the previously mentioned V8 line and the one about a relitive of mine drives an import! :lol: The anti nom ((CRAP)) was I guess a little realistic but annoying at the same time. But over all I enjoied it. :rolleyes: And did I say the girl was ((((HOT! HOT!! HOT!!!)))). :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
the hood scoops are gunna give as much of an edge as it can on a modern efi car. It will be functional as it will be open to the cold air. Not like the Mustang GT's visual scoop.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Originally posted by ChevyEquinox@Jun 7 2004, 07:24 PM
THat is one B - E - A - utiful rear end. Gotta love the separated pipes and the grey contrast in the skirt. I love the hood too.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
That red GTO looks kind of like a test market vehicle for some of the changes that Pontiac wants to make for the GTO, especially that gray panel with G-T-O embosed on it, it looks like it was ready made for the GTO by Pontiac.

The movie was fun, you know you arent going to expect an Oscar caliber TV movie from USA. It was a fun 2 hour semi-GTO commercial. I was reading that the black GTO was modified very little for the chase scene, just beefed up the suspension for some of the jumps, especially the scence where the GTO jumps from the loading dock, which was a 5 foot high platform. What the movie really did, was make me want a GTO, I hope it gave the effect to a few other people.

Also...not to be a detail freak...but the VIN that Dennis Hoppers charachter gives for his 1969 GTO, is not even close to what the VIN would be for a real 1969 Pontiac.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts