GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PONTIAC GTO AUTOCROSS SHOWCASES PRODUCTION ACCESSORIES

No other name in automotive history says “performance car” like GTO. When the Pontiac GTO debuted in 1964, it virtually defined true street performance. Four decades later, the 2004 GTO is a modern-day incarnation of the classic. As the first new models roll off the assembly line, Pontiac will showcase a fully accessorized production GTO Autocross at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas. Pontiac is debuting a number of performance-tuned, specially equipped show vehicles suitable for Autocross racing applications.

New engine components and a number of production accessories from GM Performance Parts distinguish the GTO Autocross. This show version continues to be powered by the venerable LS1 5.7L engine, but a new camshaft and heads from the LS6 engine boost horsepower to 400.

The GTO Autocross also features a more performance-oriented, substantial appearance with a new line of accessories – available in fall 2004 at GM dealers. The Pontiac GTO Accessories on the show car include front and rear fascia extensions, rocker panel, rear spoiler with integrated CHMSL and symmetrical dual exhaust.

Custom 18-inch wheels are wrapped with BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires, which enhance dry traction and handling for exceptional control. Custom rotors and calipers by Stainless Steel Brakes offer substantial stopping power.

Inside, production machine-drilled aluminum pedals, color-coordinated sport gauge package and satin nickel appointments add a performance touch. Custom performance-inspired red paint coats the GTO Autocross.

Compared to its ‘60s namesake, the production GTO has a tighter suspension, more powerful engine and a four-on-the-floor manual transmission that now boasts two additional gears. The car hits 60 mph in about 5.5 seconds, and runs the quarter mile in under 14 seconds. Traction control and a limited slip differential also come standard. The GTO comes with a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission or four-speed Hydra-Matic. Both come with a 3.46:1 final drive ratio.

GTO has standard four-wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear), part of a four-channel anti-lock braking system. Other standard safety features include dual front air bags, three-point safety belts for all occupants and an Emergency Mode that automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

PONTIAC GTO AUTOCROSS VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:
-400 horsepower 5.7L LS1 V-8 engine with GM Performance Parts LS6 heads and camshaft
-Pontiac GTO Accessories, including front and rear fascia extensions, rocker panel, rear spoiler with integrated CHMSL and symmetrical dual exhaust
-Production machine-drilled aluminum pedals
-Production red sport gauge package and satin nickel appointments
-Production 2+2 all-leather bucket seating with sports-styled bolsters
-55/45 weight distribution, balanced for excellent performance
-Custom Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. rotors and calipers
-Custom 18-inch wheels
-BF Goodrich g-force T/A KD performance tires

·
Registered
571 Posts
:eek: ....we....need....pictures..

·
Registered
750 Posts
they lost the Judge so they came up with Autocross??? what a crappy name..Why not just switch everything to letters and Numbers, seems to be what they are all doing anyways..it could be the GTO V7S Series

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Oct 28 2003, 10:44 PM
they lost the Judge so they came up with Autocross??? what a crappy name..Why not just switch everything to letters and Numbers, seems to be what they are all doing anyways..it could be the GTO V7S Series
:rolleyes: It's just a concept...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
LS6 is what they should of got in the first place, not some cammed LS1. I breezed through it... did it say anything about hood scoops?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm sure it will have hood scoops as Pontiac said back in July they were workin on a scooped hood...I can hear the BS now... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bah, personally I think scoops will ruin the look of the car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Oct 29 2003, 06:22 AM
LS6 is what they should of got in the first place, not some cammed LS1.
All of the GTOs will have an LS6 block, as some of the last F-bodies did. So really, the LS6 is just a cammed LS1.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Andy+Oct 29 2003, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andy @ Oct 29 2003, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Oct 29 2003, 06:22 AM
LS6 is what they should of got in the first place, not some cammed LS1.
All of the GTOs will have an LS6 block, as some of the last F-bodies did. So really, the LS6 is just a cammed LS1. [/b][/quote]
no... other then block and intake, they are NOTHING alike. the LS6 has differnt heads and cam with high flowing exhaust.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
You wont see a GTO have more than 400hp until the new Corvette comes out, remember, nothing in GM's North American lineup has higher advertised HP than the Corvette. They have to introduce it with a "base" engine, so that the higher HP engine will end up being the "Judge" model. I don't think that SLP will be able to keep the "Judge" nameplate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw a badass presenation of a GTO (from GM) with dual exhausts integrated into the rear bumber ala Saleen Mustangs, front air dam extensions, hood scoops, different grill, and a wicked spoiler.

I asked for copise of the pictures and I was told that they had to be "destroyed" becuase they were accidentally shown and not for public consumption. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the same car.

Also, if the parts were available, EVERY ealer would order it that way. GMs (my speculation) suppliers wouldn't have been ready for that level of demand.

my two cents

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by PatrickFan@Oct 31 2003, 02:06 PM
I saw a badass presenation of a GTO (from GM) with dual exhausts integrated into the rear bumber ala Saleen Mustangs, front air dam extensions, hood scoops, different grill, and a wicked spoiler.

I asked for copise of the pictures and I was told that they had to be "destroyed" becuase they were accidentally shown and not for public consumption. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the same car.

Also, if the parts were available, EVERY ealer would order it that way. GMs (my speculation) suppliers wouldn't have been ready for that level of demand.

my two cents
whoa whoa whoa.... this sounds good... anymore info?

·
Registered
790 Posts
look in the new motor trend magazine that was released today, they have a GTO on the front, in the back of the GTO artical they have almost this exact same car, ie. 400hp, blah blah blah, with a picture! it has the traditional hoodscoop for the GTO. it also has a rear spoilier. and im sorry my memory isnt that good. i just looked through the pages at the store waiting for my girlfriend.

o yeah and in front of the rear wheel, there was 2 words

the judge...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Oct 30 2003, 04:26 PM
You wont see a GTO have more than 400hp until the new Corvette comes out, remember, nothing in GM's North American lineup has higher advertised HP than the Corvette. They have to introduce it with a "base" engine, so that the higher HP engine will end up being the "Judge" model. I don't think that SLP will be able to keep the "Judge" nameplate.
well that might be for now, but someday i think there will be a car in the gm family to surpass the corvette, maybe not a chevy, im thinking caddilac personaly, i mean they have out the cts-V i mean think of what could be in the larger sts-v. but i know the next vette will also have a more powerful engine in it so yeah.... i dont know it just seems like its about time for some real power, 600hp maybe, out of a car that isnt restricted by the vettes pricerange

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
ahhhh the escaclade-v is getting the v-12 northstart pushing 500.... and i just relized something...

If no car or truck or anything in the line up can surpass the mighty vette... any version of the vette... then if there is a 500hp car... then the vette's z06 model is gunna get.... OH BOY! you thinking what im thinking?

I think the judge name shouldnt be used or ifit is, dont put it in that flower power look. I think a GXP model would go better... They havent done retro on the car yet... why start at the judge.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 4 2003, 02:17 AM
ahhhh the escaclade-v is getting the v-12 northstart pushing 500.... and i just relized something...

If no car or truck or anything in the line up can surpass the mighty vette... any version of the vette... then if there is a 500hp car... then the vette's z06 model is gunna get.... OH BOY! you thinking what im thinking?

I think the judge name shouldnt be used or ifit is, dont put it in that flower power look. I think a GXP model would go better... They havent done retro on the car yet... why start at the judge.
I agree, a GXP version would be better, since the whole car is modern, not retro.

Here:

2006 Pontiac GTO GXP
LS6!!! :lol:
Back Wing
Fusion Orange
18' Wheels!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 4 2003, 08:17 AM

sorry but i dought what your thinking. the next Z06 has been thought to be 500hp, but not a V-12, and just because there is a more powerful car/truck coming out of gm dosent mean the vette will surpass it, its a nice thought but the vette already beats a viper around the course with almost 100 less hp, and sense that is thier main compitition thier is no need to to do an extream power boost...

even though thier is no need for it, they still could, im not saying that they wont. they did say the new z06 would wipe the doors off the viper and the Ford GT... so maybe you are right, sure would be nice...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts