GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 9 2004, 11:57 AM
As far as why I posted it, I'm proud of my work.  Whether people like the design or not.  And if you read all the replies, most people don't dislike it, they simply don't think it's a great idea for the next Pontiac design theme.
I'm always happy to see another creation of Rex's. They are almost always well done - sometimes downright professional.

This one is one I'd like to love, but it has the looks of a Mitsubishi crossed with a Cadillac SRX, crossed with an Opel Vectra or something. A good design, but perhaps better as a Saturn or something else.

The danger of such "extreme" design for Pontiac right now lies in the inevitable comparisons to the Aztek it would draw.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
See, I disagree with you Rex, I dont think Pontiac should go after the 300, that should be left up to Buick. Pontiac can go after the Charger as Dodge has taken on the "sporty" side of the DCX. A large Buick sedan powerd by a either a 3.6 V6 making 255hp or a big LS2 V8 with 6spd auto would be fantastic do go against the 300 class. Keep it the high 20's to low 40's and that would be a great car. It would outclass the 300 by a lot, which doesnt seem to hard to do. The car looks nice, but the interior isnt up to where Buick needs to be. A lexus-like interior for Buick ontop of a stellar chassis along with AWD option would make this a clear winner.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Much better - that really works! AWD, a Northstar V8, some level of off-roadability....nice! (I might jack it up a bit and give it slightly beefier tires)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jun 9 2004, 01:34 PM
See, I disagree with you Rex, I dont think Pontiac should go after the 300, that should be left up to Buick. Pontiac can go after the Charger as Dodge has taken on the "sporty" side of the DCX. A large Buick sedan powerd by a either a 3.6 V6 making 255hp or a big LS2 V8 with 6spd auto would be fantastic do go against the 300 class. Keep it the high 20's to low 40's and that would be a great car. It would outclass the 300 by a lot, which doesnt seem to hard to do. The car looks nice, but the interior isnt up to where Buick needs to be. A lexus-like interior for Buick ontop of a stellar chassis along with AWD option would make this a clear winner.
I agree! The park Aveenue replacement would make great competion. Luxury with Muscle, I think that sounds familiar.

Pontiac can take on the smaller, more sporty cars, with a stiffer ride and better handling. Buick can cover the fast luxury cars.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Jun 9 2004, 07:14 PM
Pontiac can take on the smaller, more sporty cars, with a stiffer ride and better handling. Buick can cover the fast luxury cars.
i hope GM is thinking along the same line as you. smaller, more specific divisions can most appropriately focus on smaller market segements. throughout the 90's it seems that most GM divisions were trying to diversify and be everything to everyone. that's why pontiac doesn't live up to its 'performance division' reputation (well i think it's getting close again, but not 100% there yet). GX/P models are the way to go... the wave is not.

the divisions need cast-in-stone mission statements. every pontiac should be more powerful than an equivalent chevrolet. every chevrolet should present the best GM value. the ride in a buick should be smoother and more refined than all other GM divisions. cadillac should offer more technology and advanced engineering than buick and pontiac. saturn should offer vehicles matched very closely to toyota and honda offerings. GMC could either be buick trucks, or hardcore, professional-grade chevrolet trucks.

while GM seems to be well on it's way to providing distinct products for it's many marques, i hope it's something they're taking very seriously.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It just reminded me of Aztek by the way the headlights appear to be split in half and how large the grill is. The Caddi version works better given the edgier design although I agree with others that a new design direction for Pontiac would not be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is definately better looking than your "300C Eater". Nothing against you, but I just don't like the whole 300C style. I hope GM stays away from it, unless they could come up with a cool-looking sorta retro Bel Air?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Sorry Rex but that Pontiac G9 is well, AWEFUL. Not to my liking at all. But the Cadillac on the other hand looks pretty sweet! You're one of the most talented persons here at GMI! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look im with the guy that said it was awful.. but the main thing was.. why try and make this car cool.. that Rover you started with was just butt ugly.. I give you props for tryin to make it cool, but i believe it is beyond hope.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Jun 11 2004, 05:19 PM
This is definately better looking than your "300C Eater". Nothing against you, but I just don't like the whole 300C style. I hope GM stays away from it, unless they could come up with a cool-looking sorta retro Bel Air?
I agree, GM should stay clear of the 300C, but if they came out with a car like that 2002 Bel Air concept, I think that would be a good match up for the 300c.
Anyways nice chop, I didn't really like the Pontiac version, but it looks good as a Cadillac.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.