GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Although we thoroughly enjoyed the fleeting time we spent with the Pontiac G8 GT, what whith its 361 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque and all, it's the upcoming GXP model that truly looks to catapult the Australian-bred sedan back into musclecar territory. We, along with just about every other gearhead, are especially looking forward to the six-speed stick and clutch pedal with which the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 making 402 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque will be paired. Of course, the rest of the car needs to be up to snuff too, so we are happy to take a gander at these spy photos of a pre-production prototype in Australia that indicate the nineteen-inch GXP-specific wheels and big Brembo disc brakes are present and accounted for. A slightly revised front fascia with a lower splitter combine with the rear diffuser to further signify that this is the high-zoot version of Pontiac's sport sedan.

(Images at links...)

Original Source

Autoblog Coverage

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I can't wait to see this car at SEMA show........ However I am kind of worried about the future of the GXP rendition. Myself, I feel there is room for a HI-PO RWD sedan in the lineup below the CTS-V in price and concept. And the GXP has the power that people want in this car.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
With GM refusing to replace the Impala with a RWD model off of the zeta platform, would they ever consider making a 9C1 police package for the G8? Like Dodge does with its Charger, start with the V6 as standard and offer the V8 as an option, replace the floor shifter with one on the column, replace the aluminum wheels with HD stamped steel, and replace the sporty seats with HD ones covered with durable cloth for the front buckets and vinyl for the rear bench. The current Impala is a bit too small to carry all of the electronic equipment that many departments use such as laptops, ticket readers, printers, video cameras and monitors, etc. The're duarbility has been uneven and when their backseats are equipped with a prisoner cage, they are too tight. The G8 9C1 is the best answer. Maybe GM of America could borrow the name Pursuit from their northern neighbors.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
They need to differentiate it a lot more from the GT. Maybe add stainless grill inserts, make the hood scoops functional and bigger, higher spoilers, and other stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Umm, it is actually just the Pontiac G8 GXP... Where are you getting the GT? And since when is the engine part of the name?! :confused:
I'm still not sold on alpha-numerics as the name of an American vehicle. Pontiac tried it several years ago with the 6000, T1000, and J2000/2000. I remember that they considered P3000 instead of Fiero, too. The designations 4000 and 5000 were already in use by Audi so they were unavailable. Now they are all gone. Pontiac's heritage of names from races was strong and could be again. I would welcome back LeMans, Bonneville, Catalina, Grandville, Grand Prix, Grand Am, and Can Am. I would also like to see GTO, Phoenix, and Tempest return.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They need to differentiate it a lot more from the GT. Maybe add stainless grill inserts, make the hood scoops functional and bigger, higher spoilers, and other stuff like that.
its meant to be subtle

its going to surprise a lot of people who take it for granted on the road

my car already does it and it is down on power compared to this beast

BTW the hood scoops on the G8 GT are functional yet pretty damn restricted but you can open them up

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I saw a grey GXP beside a red GT the other day, here in Oshawa, and there is some very effective differentiation. The GXP's body looks sharper, lower, wider, and overall more functional.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
sleeper sleeper sleeper!! challange someone at a red light, they'll probably laugh if they dont know much about cars, even if they do. Pontiacs...like this and the recently phased out grand prix, are severly overlooked. ive beatin my fare share of mustangs in my moms supercharged v6. catch em off gaurd everytime

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- I’m Drew, a marketing manager at Pontiac. I just wanted to say thanks so much for your support for our G8. We developed it to bring back Pontiac Excitement, and judging from your comments – we think it has. We appreciate the positive comments, and its good to hear that you believe in the car as much as we do. Please don’t hesitate to let us know any more thoughts you might have about the G8.

-Andrew Kraisinger, Marketing Manager, G8

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hi- I’m Drew, a marketing manager at Pontiac. I just wanted to say thanks so much for your support for our G8. We developed it to bring back Pontiac Excitement, and judging from your comments – we think it has. We appreciate the positive comments, and its good to hear that you believe in the car as much as we do. Please don’t hesitate to let us know any more thoughts you might have about the G8.

-Andrew Kraisinger, Marketing Manager, G8
I'm very much looking forward to seeing the G8 GXP at SEMA. And hopefully the Miami Auto Show next month. Keep showing us cool cars like that ....it can only help revitalize the brand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts