GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
That was an awesome commercial. Great presentation. Very Clever I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I doubt that will ever be a commercial, doesn't look like GM made it. While its nice to be compared to the 5 series I don't see many BMW shoppers swapping in the BMW for a Pontiac. G8 is beautiful and the GXP vs. AMG models should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I doubt that will ever be a commercial, doesn't look like GM made it. While its nice to be compared to the 5 series I don't see many BMW shoppers swapping in the BMW for a Pontiac. G8 is beautiful and the GXP vs. AMG models should be interesting.
I think the idea is more targeted to buyers who want a 5 series but can't afford one, so they could consider a G8 instead. That's the position I'm in. G8 for $30,000? Sure. New, or even used, 5 Series for more? Nope. And I can only imagine the maintenance and repair costs for a 5 series vs. a G8.

That's where the value is.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
That was the most clever ad I've seen in a long time, loved it.

But lets be honest here, 5 series > G8, I'm sorry, but they aren't the same type of car.
give me a G8 over the 5 series....

Is the 5 series a better car then the G8? that can be argued however is the 5 Series $17,000 better then the Pontiac G8? I seriously dont think so.

From a styling point of view I much prefer thew G8 looks to that of the 5 series. I can get the V8 car for an extra $2,000 which if I were to buy a G8 (which Im considering) Id go for the GT model. The G8 handles and brakes very well so you cant give the 5 series a win in that area as either. The only area where you can give the 5 series a win in is interior which I also think is ugly but it probably uses better materials as it should do something for the extra money.

·
Registered
251 Posts
1) "If man was meant to fly, god would have given him wings."
2) "Dewy wins"
3) "The sound "barrier" is an unsurmountable, physical "wall" "
4) "The T.V. is a passing fad"
5) "Import buyers will not buy a domestic sport sedan."

Four statements that all were unable to count on, and one that no one should.
Pontiac SHOULD see BMW as their natural competitor, and Cadillac should see
Mercedes as their's.

In a world of instant gratification, there are somethings that still beg to be given time. Product perception is one of those. It took time and poor offerings to downgrade Pontiac, it will take time and many great products to the makes reputation.
Remember Audi in the 80'S? A good number of auto expects sounded the death knell of the Auto Union. Now, it is second to no one in quality, respect, and on the track. Just as many people appear to desire the Audi as desire BMW and Mercedes.
So I will not be one that says "...I don't see many BMW shoppers swapping in the BMW for a Pontiac..."

·
Registered
861 Posts
Pontiac finally has a no excuses sport sedan product and I'm glad they've (if it's them) have the guts to through out some no excuses marketing.

No, the G8 won't conquest a lot of 5-series owners, but it will own a lot of 5-series in a drag race. Pontiac needs some more bad boy in its branding and this is a good way to do it.

Pick fights so that G8 owners can cruise proudly and not keep telling themselves that at least there were great incentives on this Pontiac.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
i think if you want to compare performance to a price point, the G8 is great, but i don't think the G8 needs to be postured against a 5 Series. that's going to just open up all kinds of garbage. love the G8 for what it is, and recognize it both for what it is, and what it's not. it is a great bargain both in size and performance. it is a great step forward for GM N.A. and Pontiac. it is a good looking car with lots of potential. it is not a 5 Series competitor. period.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Say my first G8 on the street yesterday. Drool...

The COLOR of the car however, SUCKED. It was some sort of faded burnt orange. It looked like they poured some cloudy clear coat over an orange car - yuck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think the idea is more targeted to buyers who want a 5 series but can't afford one, so they could consider a G8 instead. That's the position I'm in. G8 for $30,000? Sure. New, or even used, 5 Series for more? Nope. And I can only imagine the maintenance and repair costs for a 5 series vs. a G8.

That's where the value is.
BMW provides free maintenance and a longer warranty, that should even it up a bit. On the other hand, I really wouldn't want the BMW (or an MB) after it's warranty period is over.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
BMW provides free maintenance and a longer warranty, that should even it up a bit. On the other hand, I really wouldn't want the BMW (or an MB) after it's warranty period is over.
Another thing to consider is the GT's fuel economy and use of 87 octane. Can a comparably performing BMW match that? But anybody in the market for a Bimmer can handle the gas price.

In short, the G8 is a 5-series without the luxury.

If the Challenger and Camaro didn't exist a G8 GXP would be my garage toy (mmmmmm 6sp stick.......)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
That was the most clever ad I've seen in a long time, loved it.

But lets be honest here, 5 series > G8, I'm sorry, but they aren't the same type of car.
So, if the G8 costs less than the BMW 5, hits 60 faster, corners better and has more interior room and trunk space than the BMW, the BMW is still better? Why? To borrow a phrase from Saturn, "Rethink 'better'".

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
It isn't any worse than the pathetic pandering to 12 year olds with the current first and last ever Pontiac G8 game commercials. How can GM be taken seriously when it can't sell its car with honesty and integrity? Is the car a game or is it a real driver's car? GM must decide which it is because no self-respecting adult wants a car with an image of a gameboy when spending over $30k for a sedan.

Carroll

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.