GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by jsb57@Dec 4 2003, 11:03 PM
"Convertible Hardtop" - once meant a fixed roof with no b-pillar (or was that "hardtop convertible?")...does it mean a b-pillarless coupe or a real convertible with a folding metal roof ala SLK or SC430?
I would assume that structurally it would be very similar to the Saab 9-3 convertible that shares the platform.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,746 Posts
For the G6 to be credible, all versions need to be fun to drive. The recent review I read of the base Grand Prix was pretty lukewarm - it seems like it's basically a sportier looking Impala LS.

The base G6 should be available with the 3500 V6 and a 5-speed manual. It should have decent tires, discs all around and be very driver-oriented.

It would be nice to see the Pontiac version of the 3500 move up a bit in power - maybe 210 hp - to better differentiate it from the Malibu. Pontiac should also spend some time on engine sound and responsivenes to insure that it is a fun engine to run up the powerband.

The uplevel G6 can add the supercharger and AWD. But like BMW, every version needs to be good. You don't see people buying a new 325 and saying - yah, it I had the money I would have got the good motor. Each model stands on its own -- the more expensive ones add substantial power and luxury. Pontiac needs to emulate this - don't just build a good top-of-the-line performance car -- make all of them great!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
they are doing themselves a huge injustice by not offering a manuel tranny!! does GM want us to go to foreign cars if we want to buy a stick! they need to wake up!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by Tone@Dec 5 2003, 11:57 AM
For the G6 to be credible, all versions need to be fun to drive. The recent review I read of the base Grand Prix was pretty lukewarm - it seems like it's basically a sportier looking Impala LS.

The base G6 should be available with the 3500 V6 and a 5-speed manual. It should have decent tires, discs all around and be very driver-oriented.

It would be nice to see the Pontiac version of the 3500 move up a bit in power - maybe 210 hp - to better differentiate it from the Malibu. Pontiac should also spend some time on engine sound and responsivenes to insure that it is a fun engine to run up the powerband.

The uplevel G6 can add the supercharger and AWD. But like BMW, every version needs to be good. You don't see people buying a new 325 and saying - yah, it I had the money I would have got the good motor. Each model stands on its own -- the more expensive ones add substantial power and luxury. Pontiac needs to emulate this - don't just build a good top-of-the-line performance car -- make all of them great!
I agree with everything you wrote except that the Grand Prix is like the Impala LS.

The Impala is clearly an older design. It's like comparing a 1999 Camry to a 2003 Camry. Or the new "sport vans" to the current Venture.

They might share a platform and components, but the Grand Prix benefits from a redesign. The Impala doesn't --- that's why the Impala SS is a retread of the 2000 Buick Regal GS, and why it didn't get the Series III engine.

The GP interior is much more flexible, with a fold flat passenger seat.

Basically the Grand Prix is what the Impala SHOULD be right now, if GM wasn't being cheap about it. Chevy brand loyalty and a volume discount are the only 2 reasons someone would choose an Impala LS over a Grand Prix. Logically it makes no sense - they're both GM, one's the redesigned model, one isn't.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
The Grand Prix is a higher end model than the Monte Carlo and Impala.

Therefore, it should be better.

Although, I think Chevy's entire line should get updated interiors.

My uncle just got a new Grand Prix, the interior on that car is amazing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
ACK WTF is with all these GAY name changes. G4 G6 G8...SINCE WHEN did we all ahve to call cars a letter and a number. GIVE THEM REAL NAMES, whats next is the imapala going to I6. LETTERS AND NUMBERS DO NOT MAKE A CAR NAME!!!!

and I think this poll speaks for itself on what the majority of people want in this car, a damn manual, sheesh.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
I like the G6 name. I think this nomenclature fits Poncho well. Grand Am is played out, as well as Grand Prix. The names just don't mean anything anymore(well they do but not like the old days). Time to move on. At least it is G6 and not 325iq3.5 or some shi..stuff.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sorry, the Hemi, I managed to delete your post by mistake when attempting to delete my own......ugh, long story here's your post:

By The Hemi:

I do not want to see AWD or a blown engine.
Both are just sticker price raising options that
also increase maintenance/repair costs.

If the G6 is going to be played as some type
of import fighter, than I will look somewhere
else for my next vehicle.

I want a G6 that is reasonably priced, has a
decent amount of power (200-hp 3.5 is not a
bad place to start) and will be totally reliable.
If anything, I would like to see VVT added to
increase some of the lowend torque.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,885 Posts
I don't expect manuals or AWD to be that popular. As a dealer we would order 10-15 J cars automatics to 1 standard.(even less in the N cars) and AWD cars Pontiac had them 1990 but for only 2 years because they didn't sell well a Pontiac 6000 for the price of a LeSabre LTD.
Anyways I suspect it is to combat with Fords Futura which is suspose to be avalible with AWD.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Hmm I would pretty much want everything you listed on the poll to be in the Pontiac G6.

Have 3.5L V6 for a base engine with VVT & DoD making 220-230 HP. Have a option for a 5 speed auto with tap shift or just leave it as it is where you just slide the shifter to the side and select the gear, or a 6 speed manual option. And wheels range from 16 to 17 inches.

With the 3.9L V6 package pump the HP from 245 to 255 HP, have a 5 Speed auto with tap shift/ or F1 style tap shifting, and a 6 speed manual option. Plus have an AWD with Stabilitrack option with 17 or 18 inch wheels.

As for the interior I don't have too much beaf on it. I think it looks good compared what it is replacing. True dual exhaust would nice option for the 3.5L, Standard on the 3.9L. And as for the Heads Up Display, sure why not, no one else in the mid size market has it :)

A few things I would like to know is what colours will be availible inside and out, and will the fabric option be great to the touch instead than what we have now <_< and one more thing, I would like to see a carbon fibre and aluminum trim option.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Originally posted by KnightHawk@Jan 6 2004, 05:14 AM
Hmm I would pretty much want everything you listed on the poll to be in the Pontiac G6.

Have 3.5L V6 for a base engine with VVT & DoD making 220-230 HP. Have a option for a 5 speed auto with tap shift or just leave it as it is where you just slide the shifter to the side and select the gear, or a 6 speed manual option. And wheels range from 16 to 17 inches.

With the 3.9L V6 package pump the HP from 245 to 255 HP, have a 5 Speed auto with tap shift/ or F1 style tap shifting, and a 6 speed manual option. Plus have an AWD with Stabilitrack option with 17 or 18 inch wheels.

As for the interior I don't have too much beaf on it. I think it looks good compared what it is replacing. True dual exhaust would nice option for the 3.5L, Standard on the 3.9L. And as for the Heads Up Display, sure why not, no one else in the mid size market has it :)

A few things I would like to know is what colours will be availible inside and out, and will the fabric option be great to the touch instead than what we have now <_< and one more thing, I would like to see a carbon fibre and aluminum trim option.
perfect! The car needs a few more hp then the Malibu--and the GT especailly deserves more then 200.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Honestly, I think the Grand Am replacement, the G6, needs a manual transmission with it's V6 engines. I was a driver of a 93 Bonneville SSE for a long time, and finally when I was able to save enough for my OWN CAR, I thumbed through 322 Autotrader Grand Am's within 100 miles of my home, and found 6 with the 2.4L engine with a 5 speed, and 1 of which had under 90K miles. I had to get the 5 speed.

Needless to say, I bought my car, the 97 Grand Am GT a couple months ago, with the 2.4L and a stick. (150hp and a stick is easily as fast as a 175hp V6 Grand Am, I beat a 200hp late 90's model Grand Prix GT with the 3800 non supercharged engine) I'm sure there's more similar thinking fellas like me out there, so for the G6 to be a real success, a manual transmission HAS to be there. Pontiac needs to get into the compact sportscar market the right way, and that means equipping the more powerful engines, with a stick.

You always see Honda doing that, right? Nissan? Yep. You always see even Ford doing that, right? For the longest time, Pontiac offered TWO V6 engines with a manual shift, the Grand Prix GTP (1991ish-1993) and then of course the rear-drive Firebird line.

I do want to see Pontiac succeed, and that's my 2 cents.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
23,308 Posts
ack! i said AWD, because i assumed that there was at last a base-model (3.5L) 5-speed manual! though i guess that doesn't currently exist... but damn! i'd be up for a 3.5L and manual... how dissapointing! this car could be a damn fine thing for pontiac... forget all this "halo" car talk... this could be a REAL car... it just needs real hardware.

as someone said, GM is pushing us into japanese cars. i'da bought a 2-door grand am (4 cyl) with a 5-speed, but it doesn't exist! only a V6 with 4 speed auto. i'd take the power loss any day for a stick! i was able to cheat and get a 5-speed vibe... it's kinda a pontiac... but come replacement time i don't want an auto. ever again! so come on pontiac... as much as i need a couple more fake scoops in the hood, a 5-speed would make me much happier!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Yeah, right?? I really wish GM would start dumping boatloads of money into developing better manual transmissions. I wouldn't even care if they began using trannies built by Honda or whatever, so long as I see manual trannies in GM cars I'll be happy.

oh, and paul, they do make 2 door 4cyl grand am's with a 5 speed currently, that Ecotec 2.2L engine is available with it

Another thing. Why would they make a less-powerful replacement engine? when does that ever happen? Though only a 10 horsepower loss, and slightly improved fuel economy, where have we ever seen a loss in horsepower, by a replacement engine? Kind of bugs me.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
23,308 Posts
Originally posted by RonJonGT@Feb 12 2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah, right?? I really wish GM would start dumping boatloads of money into developing better manual transmissions. I wouldn't even care if they began using trannies built by Honda or whatever, so long as I see manual trannies in GM cars I'll be happy.

oh, and paul, they do make 2 door 4cyl grand am's with a 5 speed currently, that Ecotec 2.2L engine is available with it

Another thing. Why would they make a less-powerful replacement engine? when does that ever happen? Though only a 10 horsepower loss, and slightly improved fuel economy, where have we ever seen a loss in horsepower, by a replacement engine? Kind of bugs me.
i looked for a 2-door, ecotec grand am with a 5-speed and was told it doesn't exist (dealer said there were only V6 coupes in 2003)! maybe they didn't know what they were talking about (imagine that!). and by less powerful i meant i'd rather have the 150hp ecotec & 5 speed than the 170hp V6 with auto (again, talking about the grand am)... you're right though... there's no need for a power drop if they are just adding 5-speed to an engine. so add it GM!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Originally posted by crazywop112@Dec 17 2003, 02:34 PM
If it had a manual tranny we don't have to worry about it not being able to handle the stress of modifications. The automatics are weaker in FWD.
I disagree, the 4T65E-HD can handle quite a bit of power stock, and modified it's proven almost indestructable. They don't even offer a manual strong enough for the L67 yet. Your almost always going to run into a problem when exceeding a transmission's rated output.

-T
 
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top