GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we have a good idea of what is coming in the Pontiac G6. I'm just hoping it's much more than a Malibu with nicer sheetmetal and a Supercharger.

What MUST the G6 have for you to even consider it? :zippy:

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 23 2003, 02:52 PM
hey, am i the only one who voted for the NASCAR inspired exhuast note and fake hood scopes? i'm sad now :(
Nothing says "Pontiac, We build Excitement" like non-functional hood scoops. (This quote brought to you by Ron Zarella) :p

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by monger@Nov 28 2003, 07:59 AM
Definately Manual transmission, and better interior materials.
:type:
What manual transmission from what other GM car would be compatible with the 3.5L engine?

The Grand Am only had a manual for the 4-cyl. , right?

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Dec 2 2003, 04:45 AM
A FRIGGIN MANUAL, I wont buy a sissy automatic.
I guess you won't be buying the G6. I still haven't heard any info about a manual, at least for the 3.5L engine.

I have read that eventually they will release a 4-cylinder version (G4? :p ) and that should have a manual option.

Since this "Sport Van" debacle, I've learned to expect very little from GM North America, unless it's a Cadillac or a Saturn Redline.

This is what I predict will emerge:

- 3.5L naturally aspirated and supercharged to slot under horses/torque of Grand Prix GTP.
- 4-speed auto with TAP Shift on "GT" or "GXP" model
- A nice interior and exterior
- A rockin' stereo
- A lot of marketing hype for what will be a Malibu with a Supercharger option

Promises likely not to be kept:
- No all-wheel-drive option
- No VVT or DOD...yet
- Manual transmission (well, I don't think this was ever promised)
- No 3.9L VVT engine, at least not yet - maybe in a GXP?
- No 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission - just ye olde moldy 4

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by waffler@Dec 3 2003, 04:58 PM
there wont be a 4cyl in the G6, and it will have the 3.9L engine at production and there will not be a GXP model slated within 3 yrs of its introduction, the G6 will have only v6 engines available because pontiac will be changing the names of all their cars the grand prix will become the G8 while the sunfire will become the G4
DUDE! You have the SCOOP! :D

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by jsb57@Dec 4 2003, 11:03 PM
"Convertible Hardtop" - once meant a fixed roof with no b-pillar (or was that "hardtop convertible?")...does it mean a b-pillarless coupe or a real convertible with a folding metal roof ala SLK or SC430?
I would assume that structurally it would be very similar to the Saab 9-3 convertible that shares the platform.

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by Tone@Dec 5 2003, 11:57 AM
For the G6 to be credible, all versions need to be fun to drive. The recent review I read of the base Grand Prix was pretty lukewarm - it seems like it's basically a sportier looking Impala LS.

The base G6 should be available with the 3500 V6 and a 5-speed manual. It should have decent tires, discs all around and be very driver-oriented.

It would be nice to see the Pontiac version of the 3500 move up a bit in power - maybe 210 hp - to better differentiate it from the Malibu. Pontiac should also spend some time on engine sound and responsivenes to insure that it is a fun engine to run up the powerband.

The uplevel G6 can add the supercharger and AWD. But like BMW, every version needs to be good. You don't see people buying a new 325 and saying - yah, it I had the money I would have got the good motor. Each model stands on its own -- the more expensive ones add substantial power and luxury. Pontiac needs to emulate this - don't just build a good top-of-the-line performance car -- make all of them great!
I agree with everything you wrote except that the Grand Prix is like the Impala LS.

The Impala is clearly an older design. It's like comparing a 1999 Camry to a 2003 Camry. Or the new "sport vans" to the current Venture.

They might share a platform and components, but the Grand Prix benefits from a redesign. The Impala doesn't --- that's why the Impala SS is a retread of the 2000 Buick Regal GS, and why it didn't get the Series III engine.

The GP interior is much more flexible, with a fold flat passenger seat.

Basically the Grand Prix is what the Impala SHOULD be right now, if GM wasn't being cheap about it. Chevy brand loyalty and a volume discount are the only 2 reasons someone would choose an Impala LS over a Grand Prix. Logically it makes no sense - they're both GM, one's the redesigned model, one isn't.

· Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sorry, the Hemi, I managed to delete your post by mistake when attempting to delete my own......ugh, long story here's your post:

By The Hemi:

I do not want to see AWD or a blown engine.
Both are just sticker price raising options that
also increase maintenance/repair costs.

If the G6 is going to be played as some type
of import fighter, than I will look somewhere
else for my next vehicle.

I want a G6 that is reasonably priced, has a
decent amount of power (200-hp 3.5 is not a
bad place to start) and will be totally reliable.
If anything, I would like to see VVT added to
increase some of the lowend torque.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.